Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

So what does the wife say now? the smaller model is "easier"? :) That Binnacle looks very large for the model. You almost can't get past on either side. Wonderful work. I think it is time for you to go to the dark side and move up to scratch building.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

So what does the wife say now? the smaller model is "easier"? :) That Binnacle looks very large for the model. You almost can't get past on either side. Wonderful work. I think it is time for you to go to the dark side and move up to scratch building.

Yeah I'm not so sure about the easier part.  I thought the binnacle/compaionway was large as well but I guess it is the passageway to below deck.  Hahn has a picture of the completed model and it has scale figures on it and it does look better there.  I will try to get a picture of it when I get home. 

The Dark Side is calling but I think a few more kits and kit bash's are in order first.  

Here is a picture from The Colonial Schooner 1763-1775 by H. Hahn.  (this is the copy I have been using to supplement this build)

Once the rails are in the scale seems to be a bit better.

post-12080-0-75337500-1406084260_thumb.jpg

I been able to get a few more steps done.  

Catheads.  Weird the instructions only had a single layer for the catheads.  Every picture and the plans had these double thick so I had to freehand cut out 2 more then drill the sheave holes in them.  They seem to have come out fairly well.

post-12080-0-91814300-1406438617_thumb.jpg

Caprails to cover the frame ends.

post-12080-0-38775900-1406438615_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-78507500-1406438616_thumb.jpg

Railing supports.  These were pretty hard to fit as the pre-drilled/milled holes they fit into in the cap rail were way too small. I didn't notice this until the cap rails were already installed.  This made opening them up very difficult.  After a bunch of micro scalpel work they sit in pretty well.

post-12080-0-02408200-1406438619_thumb.jpg

Railings.  These were 2 layers.  The first layer had holes in it to attach to the posts.  A top finish layer was then glued on top of it to make a smooth run down the rail.

post-12080-0-35391000-1406438621_thumb.jpg

Here is the state of the build with a few pieces of deck furniture dry fitted on.

post-12080-0-21187600-1406438620_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much Grant.  It's really starting to look like I can make it to the finish line...  Although, upcoming problems are soldering the rudder attachments, carvings (not sure I am happy with the supplied castings), headrails, channels, swivel guns etc...  Ok, maybe not quite so close to the finish line.

Just remember, it's not a race Michael.  The finish line will present itself in due course.  If you focus too much on the finish line, you'll forget to enjoy the journey along the way.  You're doing a great job.  Take it at your own pace and keep enjoying it.

Definitely taking it slow.  No time pressure here.  I hope I have another 30-40 years left to get things done  :D

Even though this kit is very well designed I have been stopping every step and thinking about it, planning looking ahead, shaping, dry fitting etc.  I have had to make quite a few modifications along the way.  

lovely looking build Micheal,

the degree of open planking is just right, well done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

She is realy taking shape Michael, Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

lovely looking build Micheal,

the degree of open planking is just right, well done

Nils

Thanks Nils.  Seeing all the open and partially planked builds here are an inspiration.

She is realy taking shape Michael, Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

Thank you Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I can't believe it has been so long since my last update. I am still alive :) Unfortunately work has been very busy recently with lots of evening and night shifts. I should be able to get back to the shipyard tomorrow.

I was looking ahead to the instructions and I saw that I am supposed to do some soldering on the rudder points. I've never done this before so it's going to be an interesting experiment.

I also want to put a breaching rope on each of the Canon. Although I'm unsure as to what diameter line I should use for this. I don't really want fully rig these cannon. I am going to save that for the Constitution.

Btw I am reading the book Six Frigates by Ian W. Toll. I am not really big on histories and or biographies but this one is written in such a way as to be pretty interesting.

HI Michael,

Just a little few hints on soldering.  Keep your iron hot.  The hotter the better, but only to a point. If you are soldering brass fittings, I would also recommend silver solder as opposed to tin solder. Silver solder tends to bond better with brass than does the tin.  And last but not least, practice, practice, practice.  Before you even attempt anything on your rudder, try lots of soldering on some scrap you probably have lying around.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Thanks Carl.  Practice is the name of the game.  I am going to try some silver solder with a torch as described in the article on the front page.  We will see how it goes.  

I am also going to experiment with a bit of blackening as well.  Also using this article for some tips.

• 4 weeks later...

So it seems August has been a wash.  However, when I was over in Baltimore visiting my father I was able to get on down to the Naval Academy Museum.  I took lots of good pictures.  Here are just a few.  I didn't use a flash and am going to clean up the pictures a bit but I thought I would show some.  I love this museum.  Such a great place and the new renovation (since I had been there before) is really nice.

The museum staff was very helpful as well.

post-12080-0-32991200-1410210885_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-99841800-1410210877_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-25973400-1410210881_thumb.jpg

And on the first floor I came across this.

post-12080-0-61576700-1410210882_thumb.jpg

Which leads me to...

I just got home from a boy scout camporee this weekend with my son.  I wasn't really paying too much attention to where we were going as I had so much to do otherwise.  I looked up the trip info and I googled Put In Bay, Ohio.  Well, well, well. Lots of events commemorating the war 1812 going on all weekend.  Was a great time (other than a bit of rain friday night).

Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial.

post-12080-0-97675300-1410210883_thumb.jpg

Cannon demonstrations etc.

post-12080-0-68855300-1410210876_thumb.jpg

The visitors center/gift shop has a pretty nice model completed by Harry Tabb in 1963

post-12080-0-64820000-1410210879_thumb.jpg

Overall a great 2 weeks in ship modeling hobby.

• 2 months later...

After a  long absence due to workload ... Just saw your progress on the ship.  Very beautiful work Michael!!

Cheers :10_1_10:

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

• 2 years later...

So I have been away for a while.  My practice went through a massive expansion/contraction/expansion etc etc.  Ended up working way too much.  I also got somewhat distracted for the last few months building a kayak.  I am finishing that up and am cleaning up the shipyard so I can start working again.  Here is a picture of where I am now.  

I like the new site design and wanted to see if I remembered how to get pictures uploaded etc.

IMG_3836.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael.

Nice to see you back in your shipyard with the Halifax.

The wait for updates was worth it 😀

All the best.

Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Dave, the instructions are pretty great and the included picture CD really helps when you have a question.  Would always want to see another Halifax.  

Just a side note: your signature link for the Fair American directs to your Independence build.

Michael:  The plans have a rigging diagram, but no belaying diagram.  Have you been able to locate one, or are you going to forgo rigging the ship?  I'm building AL's "Independence" and plan to use the Halifax rigging scheme for the model.

Thank you Steve.  I agree the way the instructions have you plank the deck is strange to me but I guess everyone has their own preferences/aesthetic reasons for doing things.

Dave:  I think I am probably not going to rig her at this time.  I cannot say that would never change.  Getting the standing rigging up I think would be pretty doable but the running lines and where they end up/belay to is a mystery I haven't looked into.  

I think it was Bob (username Rafine) who has built this kit in the past and rigged her.  He is also now just getting going on the Lumberyards version.  He might be able to enlighten us a bit.