Triton Cross Section Timber List

Wow! That seems like an incredible amount of wood for a cross section Are those lengths correct? That's just a hair under 40 inches for each of the 1000mm pieces and 20 inches for the 500's

That's 15 meters of lower planks alone

Currently building:

Corel "La Sirene"

HMS Triton Cross section

Wating to start:

MS Syren

Kit Bash of AL Bluenose II

Chad's initial posting on 30 April 2008 regarding woods he planned to purchase appears below. I know he later ordered some wood from Hobby Mill and changed some of his choices, but this is what he started with.

It's been a loooong month since I last posted. First I was derailed by a backyard project and then a sick two-year-old, but today I FINALLY ordered my wood.

After all the distractions, I got down to the business of deciding the What, Where, and What Size of the cross section. I started by figuring that I was going to buy most of my lumber pre-milled, since I have yet to buy a thickness sander and I'm still learning the ropes with my table saw and scroll saw. Next on the agenda was trying to decide what types of wood I'd use. Two things I figured into the equation were 1) I haven't worked with many types of wood outside of the ones that come with kits, so I would like to try diversifying a little, and 2) money wasn't going to be a hinderance. I remember a post somewhere a long time ago that if you divide the price of the supplies over the amount of time it take to finish a project, that the cost tends to be very small- so I'd rather pay a little more for the wood I want since in the end it's probably only pennies difference.

So trying to decide what I wanted to use was going to be tough since my wood knowledge is pretty shallow, so I hit up the gallery and came across Raul Guzman Jr.'s Oliver Cromwell*. I have seen this model before and absolutely love it, so I PM'ed him and he was nice enough to provide me a "who's who" of the types of wood used. I pretty much ended up using the same wood list since I liked it so much, and added a couple other types.

Once I knew what types I was going to use, I set out breaking everything down into sizes and types using the plans and came up with this list**. The only part (I think) that I missed was the gun carriages, but I'm going to wait and see how things play out and see what I would like to use. I've ordered everything from the Lumberyard and qty's in parenthesis are for 12 inch+ lengths- which will give me enough to screw up with and yet probably finish.

BOXWOOD

(2) 3/16 x 3" x 24" frames, lodging knees, sills, beam arms
(13) 1/8 x 1/8 ledges
(6) 3/16 x 3/16 carlings
(3) 1/4 x 1/4 gun deck beams
(3) 5/16 x 1/4 lower deck beams
(1) 5/32 x 2" x 24 hanging knees, lintels

APPLE

(1) 13/32 x 5/16 keel
(1) 5/16 x 5/16 keelson
(1) 13/32 x 1/16 garboard strake
(20) 3/16 x 1/16 planking
(3) 1/4 x 1/16 broad strake
(6) 7/32 x 3/32 lower deck spirk./gundeck clamps
(2) 1/16 x 5/32 skid beams

INDIAN LAUREL

(1) 1/4 x 1/16 gangway ladder
(1) 3/16 x 1/16 FWD ladder
(1) 1/16 x 3/8 sheer rail
(1) 3/8 x 3/32 gangway trim
(1) 5/32 x 5/32 gundeck stanchions
(2) 1/8 x 5/16 false keel

CHERRY

(6) 1/8 x 5/16 thick stuff
(4) 3/32 x 1/4 planking 1
(2) 1/16 x 1/4 planking 2
(2) 1/16 x 3/16 planking 3
(2) 5/32 x 5/32 hold pillars

WALNUT

(2) 1/4 x 5/32 hatches

EBONY

(4) 1/8 x 3/16 wales
(2) 1/16 x 1/8 trim
(1) 3/8 x 1/16 fenders
(2) 3/16 x 3/32 steps

BLOODWOOD

(2) 1/4 x 3/32 gundeck spirketting
(1) 3/32 x 3/16 gangway clamp
(3) 1/16 x 3/16 bulwarks
(1) 3/16 x 3/8 gallows
(1) 1/8 x 5/32 cross piece
(2) 1/4 x 1/4 bitts

MAPLE

(23) 1/16 x 3/16 deck planking
(3) 1/16 x 1/4 waterways
(10) 1/16 x 5/32 gangway

... so now I wait...

* If you haven't seen Mr. Guzman's models for some reason, you can find the Oliver Cromwell in the gallery, or you can visit his site here:
http://www.guzmanshipmodels.com/

**If anyone somewhere down the line would like a copy of this list, just let me know- I have it saved as a word doc.

Edited by SteveM

Another nice list to review. Many Thanks Ok. change that to WOW what a nice list. Thanks for posting that.

edited for the third time

That's a great link to some great looking models. Thanks

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks for the .pdf file Pete and thanks for the nice link Steve. Good information to have.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Thanks for posting both the lists.  The quantities in the later post seem to be more likely for such a small project. 

Not to beat a subject to death, but I'm wondering if the problem is in the lengths given in the PDF file.  Again, 15 strips at a full metre each seems like a lot of wood.  And that's just one item out of many.  I notice that he mentions 1 foot lengths in the other list.

Currently building:

Corel "La Sirene"

HMS Triton Cross section

Wating to start:

MS Syren

Kit Bash of AL Bluenose II

Overestimating is actually a fine idea.  Gives you lots of wiggle room and re-do capability without peering at the woodpile and fearing you'll run out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Ex-chach86 here (now ChadB)... I can't remember the exact amounts, but I nearly doubled the amounts when ordering since I expected many screw ups along the way (I had my fair share). What I will say, though is that since it is all good hardwood any extra will more than likely get used down the road in another build so ordering too much is necessarily a bad thing.  -Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

• 2 years later...

Ok, I am a new builder so this has confused me a little.  I plan on building the cross section at 1:48 wich I presume is what the drawings are set to. "I have downloaded them, but not looked at them yet."

Which wood list should I use?  I was going to order a Byren sander but will wait, so I need tl order my wood pre milled. Hopefully I can order wood today.

I am sure there will be a few mistakes and do overs so a little extra never hurts.  Plus if all goes well, I will use the extra on another build anyway.

Edited by McSpuds

Group Build - Triton Cross Section

Abandoned -  USS Syren

The Chad list is proper for 1:48.   You can substitute woods as you see fit.  He does list sizes and the parts the wood is needed for so you can change types as types are the wood he chose for his build.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 4/2/2019 at 2:49 PM, mtaylor said:

On 4/1/2019 at 5:28 AM, McSpuds said:

Ok, I am a new builder so this has confused me a little.  I plan on building the cross section at 1:48 wich I presume is what the drawings are set to. "I have downloaded them, but not looked at them yet."

Which wood list should I use?  I was going to order a Byren sander but will wait, so I need tl order my wood pre milled. Hopefully I can order wood today.

I am sure there will be a few mistakes and do overs so a little extra never hurts.  Plus if all goes well, I will use the extra on another build anyway.

I think the list I put together above when I did it will suit you well if you are ok with extra wood. I am overly cautious on these things and definitely ordered more than needed, but there were definitely screw-ups aplenty, so I was happy I had it handy. I would highly suggest skipping the thickness sander and ordering everything to size initially. Put that money towards a scrollsaw and a cheap disc sander if it's burning a hole in your pocket as those two tools will help you the most throughout the build, IMO.

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle