Dubz

USRC Alert by Dubz - FINISHED - Revenue Cutter

Can't even remember if I had a buildlog up here for this baby,  but anyway ;)

Teaser Pictures

alert_carronade_hdr_01.jpg

alert_hdr_03.jpg

alert_hdr_02.jpg

But as it might be interesting for someone you can check at least the build images here:

Revenue Cutter Alert Build Images Part 1: https://picasaweb.google.com/112214601525161753861/ZollkutterAlertBaubilder?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMDJmoPsx8ns0wE&feat=directlink

Revenue Cutter Alert Build Images Part 2: https://picasaweb.google.com/112214601525161753861/ZollkutterAlertBaubilderTeil2?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOjy96Lq77b35wE&feat=directlink

Cheers,

Dirk

Edited by Dubz

Dirk....... I just love this  build..... I was so impressed, I bought Kricks Alert...   as soon as I finish the Supply I'm going to put this on the table

and your log  will definately be my mentor. Thanks for posting this one back up.

Frank

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for posting this very impressive build. You have certainly made the most of it. I  quite like the patina of the model, gives it a museum like quality.

Could you please devote a few words to the model itself - manufacturer of the kit, the original ship etc, because it seems it would need to be distinguished from the revnue Cutter HMS Alert from the late 18th century, as made popular by the 'Anatomy of Ships' book.

From a technical point of view, it seems to me that te rig is not a Cutter rig a all but more a topsail schooner, and perhaps the kit manufacturer got the naming wrong. 

Cheers

Tjeerd

Tjeerd - the Alert is actually a model of an American Revenue Cutter circa 1818.  Cutter refers to the use not the rigging - it was a topsail schooner.

The Model is kinda based on the Krick Kit, but most of the parts are scratch. The Plans of Vincenzo Lusci were helpfull either while building. The Alert is a model of an US Revenue Cutter build ca. 1818, based on Plans of William Doughty. As allready stated it was a Topsail Schooner.  

Afaik the Alert was a fictious ship, but there are "real" Revenue Cutters of this type within the so called Surprise Class, like the Surprise or  Dallas from 1815 and 1816.

There are some information in:

History of american sailing ships p.176-218

The history of the american sailing navy p. 299

Cheers,

Dirk

avsjerome2003 likes this

The Alert was apparently a real revenue cutter, according to the US Coast Guard History Office http://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/Alert1818.pdf

She was a 58-foot, 75-ton schooner built by Christian Bergh of New York for $6,000. She was constructed of live oak, red cedar, and locust, with four ports per side. She was launched in April of 1818. She was based out of Eastport, Maine, during her career. She was probably taken out of service in 1829.

Chapelle has a drawing of the Doughty plans in his History of American Sailing Ships.

CharlieZardoz and Blueskippy like this

Ahh...roger that!  Closer to one of the Doughty 30 ton cutters, but the given dimensions on the real Alert don't match any of them (30 ton would have been about 45 feet in length).

Researching another build I have going (haven't posted it yet) of the Corel kit for the Revenue Cutter Ranger and running into similar issues (another fictitious ship).  Have opted to do some changes and base it on the real cutter Detector

Your model is a beauty - have bookmarked the photo page for when I get rolling on mine!

Dubz likes this

Thanks for re-posting this one, DIrk. I really liked this model as well. This time it has added value with the greater amount of background info. I think I remember last time you also discussed how you desaturated the pictures a bit to get the effect of, I don't know, maybe 'mellowness' to the wood. Anyway, it's a nice effect.

Tony

Hi Dirk.

Thanks for posting your "Alert". Your build is a joy to observe. I intend to buy the "Krick" model of the "Alert" shortly. Your extensive photo collection of the build is a treasure for all of us.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

tkay11 and Dubz like this

Dirk

it`s presenting your "Alert" as if at an heritage boat Show of real boats. One could fall in love with the lines of that cutter. Absolute eyecandy and an aces work, high grade admireable skill, Those photos are also beautifull. Are you using professional lighting and photografing Equipment ? 

You`ve got me excited now I`ll dig into your "Phantom" build straight away......

Nils

Hi Dirk,

I noticed that you are using beautifull wooden blocks on the Alert`s rigging, do these come along with the Mamoli Kit or does Mamoli sell These as after sale supplements ?

The last time I saw such good Quality was from an unknown russian model site via an Agent on the web.

Nils

Hi Dirk,

It seems to be Christmas in summertime..... that link is a real treasure for all who did`nt save it to their favorites by now. Many thanks, I have been searching the web for something like this for quite some time now.

I can`t tell by the .com ending Web address where this seller is situated but trust it`s an US supplyer due To the $ pricing. Are there any Problems with german or US customs when ordering ?

Nils

Hej Nils,

the seller is our beloved Chuck, Admin here, a brilliant modelbuilder, he made the Syren and Confed and else Kits for ME. So yes he is from US and he is trustworthy ;)

There are no problems with custom. Depending on the value of your order (I think higher that 45.- EUR incl Shipping -> pls check yourself to make sure) it might cost tax.

cheers,

Dirk

Mirabell61 likes this

Dirk,

I just looked through all 800+ pictures over the last couple of days and I have a few comments....

What an incredible build and the custom milling and machining is amazing. Not only am I envious of your skills but of your tools as well. I know that when I build mine I will be able to draw inspiration from your work.

Thanks!