Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to Taper Masts?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

mkmossop

mkmossop
  • Members
  • 70 posts

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to taper the masts for my model. I've thought of sanding, but seems like that could leave it pretty uneven. Should I take them in somewhere to get them tapered?

Thanks for any help :).

Remco

Remco
  • Members
  • 414 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

With a chisel or better a miniature plane with the stock held in a jig. Is the stock you use round or square?

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

The answer may be - it depends! :huh:

If you're starting with a square billet of wood, then you can mark the taper out and plane down to the taper first, then when you round your spar the taper is already worked into it.

If you're starting with a round dowel then, assuming you don't have a lathe, many people chuck the dowel in a drill press or a hand held electric driss that has been clamped in a fixed place and then use files and sandpaper to taper the rotating dowel.

John

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

The most reliable way is to taper a square stick, plane it octagonal ('eight-square') then round it with sandpaper strips pulled back and forth around the diameter.

• shortgrass, dvm27, Nirvana and 2 others like this

mkmossop

mkmossop
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Hey thanks for the replies :).

I'm using round dowels... so I guess I'll try the drill press method and hopefully not screw it up, lol.

Timothy Wood

Timothy Wood
  • Members
  • 841 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia

Personally, I work with dowel or a piece of square stock and work it down with a miniature plane.  I don't believe there is an advantage in either case, both are very easy to do.  Just remember to take very small amounts of wood off with the plane, it takes time but it's the best way to procede.  It's also important that your plane is razor sharp and adjusted properly before you attempt to taper your mast.  Do sample cuts on a "Test" dowel or or square stock before you tackel the real thing.  Always take your time and remove small amounts of wood and check the diameter often.

Tim

• Jaxboat, piperjoe and GuntherMT like this

Tim 

Current Build:

80' ELCO PT BOAT (Solid Hull)

Scratch Build - Atlantic (Schooner 1903) Half Hull: Winner of the 1905 Kaiser's Cup Race.

Future Build:

• BlueJacket - USS Kidd (Fletcher Class Destroyer) Solid Hull
  • Model Shipways - Pride of Baltimore II (Topsail Schooner) 
  • Model Shipways - Willie L. Bennett (Chesapeake Bay Skipjack)
  • Constructo - Pilar (Ernest Hemingway's Fishing Yacht)  
  • Sergal - Race Horse (Bomb Ketch)
  • Classic Warships - USS Salem CA-139 (Heavy Cruiser) Resin Kit
  • Pen Duick Schooner - Half Hull (Scratch Build)
  • CSA Submarine Hunley (Resin Kit)
  • Classic Warships - USS Washington BB-56 (Battleship) Resin Kit

Completed Builds:

Member:

Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Modeler12

Modeler12
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts
You might check another thread here on this forum. http://modelshipworl...ation-on-lathe/
  • GuntherMT likes this

Jay

For details about my Conny see http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

Juan Carlos

Juan Carlos
  • Members
  • 24 posts

i used the dowel in the drill chuck trick and it worked very well.  then i used square stock and it worked too.  the wood gets hot.  i did not use gloves because the heat made me stop and check the work more frequently.

mkmossop

mkmossop
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Personally, I work with dowel or a piece of square stock and work it down with a miniature plane.  I don't believe there is an advantage in either case, both are very easy to do.  Just remember to take very small amounts of wood off with the plane, it takes time but it's the best way to procede.  It's also important that your plane is razor sharp and adjusted properly before you attempt to taper your mast.  Do sample cuts on a "Test" dowel or or square stock before you tackel the real thing.  Always take your time and remove small amounts of wood and check the diameter often.

Tim

Hmmm... do you rotate the wood along the lathe or move the lathe along the wood?

You might check another thread here on this forum. http://modelshipworl...ation-on-lathe/

Wow cool... I think I'll give this a go first and see how it works... thanks!

Edited by mkmossop, 25 February 2013 - 09:36 AM.

tony

tony
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Locationsurrey uk
A tool I find handy for tapering is a Stanley knife blade for cutting carpet.It is curved and you can either use as a scraper or as a blade for cutting.

Tony

current build MAYFLOWER

Edited by tony, 06 March 2013 - 10:26 AM.

mayflower

dcicero

dcicero
  • Members
  • 134 posts

I did a presentation on masts and spars for the club I belong to.  (Shameless plug for the The Nautical Research and Model Ship Society of Chicago.)  I've attached the presentation.  I use a small lathe made by Harbor Freight Tools, a digital caliper and a file.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Attached Files

• ianmajor, Jaxboat and GuntherMT like this

Geoff Matson

Geoff Matson
  • Members
  • 473 posts
  • LocationHarvard Illinois

Dan

Thanks for posting the file. I am sure it will be useful

Geoff
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

bhermann

bhermann
  • Members
  • 470 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

For those who work exclusively by hand (or those of us not to be trusted with power tools :)), I included a brief description of some of my tapering methods in my log.

http://modelshipworl...2130-164/page-3

Check posts #33 and 34 for the details.

Bob

• Stuart, mischief and GuntherMT like this

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Geoff Matson

Geoff Matson
  • Members
  • 473 posts
  • LocationHarvard Illinois

Bob

I am going to try you method on the bowsprit of my Constitution. I do not have a lathe. The bowsprit has some awkward areas to taper and I think the your method will will work out great for me.

Geoff
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

mkmossop

mkmossop
  • Members
  • 70 posts

I used the dowel-in-drill trick tonight and it worked very well and was quick. I used a rough sandpaper to get it down to size quickly, and then a much finer one to finish it off. It may not be as accurate as some people like, but it did a good enough job for what I want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.