Dremel or Foredom or Proxxon rotary tool recommendations

When I worked as a bench jeweler I used a Foredom at work. Never did get one of my own. Have always had Dremels at home because its cheaper. I had a foot petal to control speed on my Foredom & if I had a choice I would take the Foredom if I could afford it. Dremel works just fine though. Foredoms use a flex-shaft which is very nice. You have to buy it as a separate accessory with the Dremel.  I wish I had it with my Dremel now.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

My other hobby is bird carving, and the carving is done using rotary tools.  I use the flexible shaft Foredom for rough carving, then use bench-top rotary tools for the fine carving.  This type of carving requires a level of precision and control you just can't get with a Dremel or similar tool.  I use these tools in my ship modeling and find them very useful.  Here's a link to a tool which is an excellent choice  and costs much less than the tools that I have.  Admittedly it's more expensive than a Dremel, but as in all tool choices you get what you pay for.

http://www.gesswein.com/p-10702-marathon-micromotor-system.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=&perpage=

Here's a link to my bird carving web site:

http://www.wingedexpressions.com

My other hobby is bird carving, and the carving is done using rotary tools.  I use the flexible shaft Foredom for rough carving, then use bench-top rotary tools for the fine carving.  This type of carving requires a level of precision and control you just can't get with a Dremel or similar tool.  I use these tools in my ship modeling and find them very useful.  Here's a link to a tool which is an excellent choice  and costs much less than the tools that I have.  Admittedly it's more expensive than a Dremel, but as in all tool choices you get what you pay for.

http://www.gesswein.com/p-10702-marathon-micromotor-system.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=&perpage=

Here's a link to my bird carving web site:

http://www.wingedexpressions.com

Frank, I just went to your bird carving website and was blown away.  The green heron is absolutely incredible as is the rest of your work.  

I've been thinking about getting into small carvings for my ship models (figureheads, etc.).  I have a Dremel, but was thinking about something for more detail work.  Those Gesswein tools seem very interesting...thank you for the recommendation.  I went on eBay to see if any were for sale, but it looks like there are lots of knockoffs of that tool being sold from China.  I would definitely stick with the real deal.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just as an FYI - the Marathon tool sold by Gesswein appears to be made in South Korea. There is another brand called Besqual 2, also made in South Korea that is a bit less expensive. See this site - http://www.fdjtool.com/ProductInfo/MO4015.aspx  Interesting video there.  I have no experience with either tool or supplier.

Cheers -

John

• 1 year later...

This may be of interest to someone.

I came across a rotary tool at Harbor Freight for only $9.99. It may not be as powerful or flexible as my Dremel 4000. But I find that I reach for this tool 1st because it is so handy and easy to use. But, it only has one speed.

post-25634-0-43316400-1477232783_thumb.jpg

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Dremels are excellent within their range.  I use 4 in my shop.  Be sure to get the ones with ball bearings and variable speed.  Their drive mechanism is weak however which is why they tend to wobble after some use.  I try to avoid heavy side loads with these.  As stated above, I added a keyless chuck.   Very handy tools, and not very expensive.   

So for heavy grinding, I use the Foredom, which is a superior product, very robust, reversible, and variable speed with the footpad.  My hand piece holds a small Jacobs chuck.  It can also handle deIicate work.  I would never give this up.

For most delicate carving, I use a cordless Dremel with the pistol grip.  It sits on the charger so it is always ready to go.  

You will find that some experimentation is needed to determine what tools fit your work needs.  You can always sell off those tools you don't like.  

Duff

I started using Proxxon in the late 80's on the recommendation of a friend who ran a small diy shop, on the basis that he never had had to replace a faulty Proxxon whereas Dremels (of the time) came in bust on a regular basis. I still have the original 50E drill, used and abused, without sign of it wearing out. I use the collets, or the Proxxon chuck, or a third party micro chuck held in a Proxxon collet for any drill bit under 1 mm. I have more powerfull Proxxon drills including the mill/drill setup, and table saw, and the sander, as well for use as required. I use the accessories from whichever manufacturer gives the best price at the time. The only beef I have about the Proxxon equipment is the price UK suppliers will charge. Until recently (when the pound fell) I could buy from Europe at under half the UK price and for less shipping the same Proxxon Items, with a power plug adaptor usually thrown in free for charge, The instructions didn't have English as the first language as it opened, but so what, you only have to read it once. Guess where I did my shopping. I have seen recently some Proxxon clones in the supermarkets, vices, drill sets etc, the hobby vice was the same pattern, but the finish was rougher. All in all Proxxon is worth looking at.

Alan

I also have two Dremels, one heavy-duty (corded) but also the cordless 8050.

Using Flexshaft with the mini-chuck just like on the cordless.

No problem on my side, got a heck of a deal on the 8050 at WalMart.

If nobody knew this since before but here is some history about Dremel.

The tools were originally developed by Albert J. Dremel, who founded the Dremel Company in 1932 in Racine, Wisconsin. In 1993, the company was purchased by Robert Bosch GmbH, and today it is a division of the Robert Bosch Tool Corporation located in Mount Prospect, Illinois.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I use Dremel 8050 micro and is really very good for work in small parts, it have the possibility of adjusting speeds for best results.
Also use it to round out my dog nails (after cut), using sanding drum on speed 1, excellent results!
This is what comes with the kit:

post-4167-0-84666600-1477334686_thumb.jpg

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)