Beavers Prize 1777 by Mike Y - 1:48 - POF - Hahn style

I don't know if he invented the technique, but I first saw it on one of Nigel's (NMBROOK) logs. He has since written a tutorial http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7445-plank-caulking-using-tissue-paper-tutorial-by-nigel-brook/. I am using the method on my deck planking. It's a little tedious but the results are good.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Careful reader mentioned that the joint is cut in a wrong direction - it should be rotated 90deg. Nice catch!

But decided to leave it as is - otherwise no point in making such joints, they would be fully invisible..

And making a third version of a keel on a first fully framed model sounds like an overkill, I will never finish it if I go that road :) Let's call it an artistic touch, like Hahn's frames :)

Toni, thank you for advice! I was looking on your log as a source of many inspirations!

Richard, Thank you for the link!

Mike, I see the felt used in David Antscherl's volume 1 of The Fully Framed Model

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 2 weeks later...

20 midship frames are cut (which makes it 50% of overall frames!):

post-5430-0-29638200-1423431209_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-34197500-1423431233_thumb.jpg

Looks ship-alike!

post-5430-0-19577900-1423431323_thumb.jpg

Starting from the midship ones because other frames are much more complex, I can get some skill and experience on an easier midship ones.

Overall build status:

post-5430-0-85254500-1423431343_thumb.jpg

(the frames I currently have installed on a model would be replaced by the newly produced - they are made out of different wood, more yellow-ish)

Next step is nasty, and I am trying to push it down the road - sanding the face of every frame on a sanding board. Produces lots of dust, takes around 20 min per frame..

So will switch to the keel instead, then simulate the iron bolts with monofilament, then... :)

Edited by Mike Y

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly progressing with the keel / stem / stern assembly.

Finished the deadwood and the slots for the wing transoms. Instead of chiseling, made that slots by gluing a wood strips and sanding it down to a smooth surface. (Tar simulation is done with a black paper again).

post-5430-0-38358600-1425228976_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-60326300-1425228987_thumb.jpg

Simulating the iron bolts with 0.5mm black monofilament:

post-5430-0-77363500-1425229051_thumb.jpg

It is a little bit not to the scale, should be 0.52mm instead of 0.50 (assuming that original bolts were 1 inch thick). But that is the biggest monofilament I found.

Maybe on a next, true replica model will use the real iron bolts (with the heads). But this time - a small simplification.

Only one side of a frame has a bolts, because another side would be fully planked anyway.

Lots of sanding ahead - need to go through 240 -> 320 -> 400 -> 600 -> 1200 -> 2000 grits to achieve a consistent thickness of a frame and a smooth finish. 

Edited by Mike Y

Hey Mike,

She looks great.  I really like the black paper caulk lines.    :champagne-2: Where did you find the monofilament?  Fishing stores around here have a very limited selection if any at all.

Great work, love the frames.   :)

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Thanks for a nice words! :)

Jack, found the monofilament on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Skysper-500M-Fishing-Nylon-Black/dp/B00R71DEF8/

It is the largest I found. Actually wanted something like 0.6. 

The bigger sizes are around 1.5mm, they are made for tennis rackets.

I saw your ebony solution, amazing! But I worry that black ebony dust will make pear around it dirty when I sand the frame. Is that a problem?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link.  That is exactly what I was looking for, even the correct size.  When I did not find anything at the time I got the idea of using ebony.  I had so much fun cutting the 1/32 by 1/32 square dowels and using a draw plate to get them down to .032 inch round dowels that I am happy that it worked out this way.  Ebony is tough on the saw blades and the dust is a pain but  my original problem was that I could not keep the Liver of Sulphur off the Swiss pear.  The ebony was not a problem.  It would smudge a little when first cut off but then a quick pass through the thickness sander and all is well.

post-9182-0-09447600-1425247245_thumb.jpg

Your Cromwell is looking great.

Jack

Got some cool stuff for my build today! Hope it will improve the accuracy.

post-5430-0-73246300-1425583583_thumb.jpg

Really love the micro dremel - good balance, easy to align to a 90deg angle (I do not have a drill press unfortunately). And on a low speed it is very quiet comparing to a regular dremel - meaning that I can use it while my daughter is trying to fell asleep. 

And optivisor is beating the expectations - how I managed to live without it before??? Clean view, light on a head, good lenses.

You`re young yet

wait when you get older and you`ll appreciate the magnification so much more!!!   :rolleyes:

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

• 2 months later...

Got distracted with other things - summer is coming, and I suddenly ended up buying a real boat.. :)

post-5430-0-06572700-1431548247_thumb.jpg

Of course it needs maintenance, cleaning, parking, blah blah, so not so much time for a modelling.

Got guns and carriages from Syren Ship Models:

post-5430-0-26685900-1431548052_thumb.jpg

And working on the stem:

post-5430-0-45363300-1431548083_thumb.jpg

Here is the previous version for comparison:

post-5430-0-22701900-1431548133_thumb.jpg

As usual, joints are blackened with a tissue paper and reinforced with treenails.

Stem is not fully accurate, knee is simplified, but decided to keep it simpler on a first fully framed model.

Hope to finish the skeleton during May, and start sanding and mounting 20 midship frames.

Edited by Mike Y

I do like the looks of the new stem, Mike.  And all the cannon..    Have fun with the boat.   both the real one and the model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Skeleton finished, will cut the rabbet after covering it with wipe-on poly. In a meanwhile, experimenting with different finishes to find the right one for me.

post-5430-0-80557300-1432483426_thumb.jpg

Now sanding the sides of the frames, very stupid process that I was trying to delay as much as possible :)

Aiming to get a consistent 7.4mm thickness to make sure that frames would be properly aligned.

post-5430-0-68715000-1432483525_thumb.jpg

Hope to finish it this week, sawdust is covering the table, bleeh!

And nobody will see the difference anyway...

Looks lovely, Mike.  Do leave some extra on the frames as fairing will take that down even further. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Of course, there is a reserve on the outer and inner edges of a frames.

I am sanding the other part, "flat" side of a frame, it will not be affected during fairing.

Oh... post-76-0-58357700-1432522976.gif   I'm an idiot...  Totally misunderstood.   I'll leave quietly.... 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Please do not go away! Your critics is always very welcome! :) And I have a hard time trying to name different sides of a frame...

Hi Mike

I'm just catching up on your most recent posts and I must say how fine your frames, keel and stem pieces are looking! Really nice.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

It'd be great if you could also sneak a few photos of your full sized boat as well!

Cheers

Patrick

Tested two different types of wipe-on poly. Same producer, one is shiny, one is flat.

Test pieces are cut from the same piece of wood, same part of the piece, so without finish they are completely identical.

The difference is quite obvious with a real eye, and my camera (and/or photo skills) is not good enough to show it properly :)

Shiny finish is unnaturally shiny, and makes wood look a bit darker.

Will go with the flat one, it is barely visible, and preserves the natural color of the wood, while providing some basic protection.

Natural light:

post-5430-0-71020200-1432573256_thumb.jpg

Flash:

post-5430-0-24003900-1432573261_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

I like the flat too.

Jack

I know I am late with my vote (but I would have went with flat also)  :)

Alan O'Neill

Sanding is finished, dust washed away! :)

Covered all frames with poly, they are drying now.

post-5430-0-79214000-1433019403_thumb.jpg

Just realised that I actually have two models now! One made out of "yellow-ish" pear, and the one from the "pink-ish" pear.

The yellow one is used as a training model. I am practicing on it to avoid some mistakes on a real model.

For example, as you see on a background, I installed 9 frames on a training model - and realised that:

a) Not so easy to align frames to 90 degrees in all directions, need to make a jig to set the frames square.

B) Even without gluing frames to the building jig, the construction is rigid enough for fairing, no need to glue in any fillers or spacers. That worried me for a while, because I will have one side fully unplanked, and installing fillers on one side only might cause hull asymmetry. 

Hi Mike.

You're are doing a terrific job on the Cromwell and I have learnt a lot from just reading your build log.

Paying a lot of attention to detail makes for a excellent model.

Super build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section