Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Thanks for the compliments Elmer , and Crackers.

I have been thinking about my build entries and like the style that Ed Tosti uses for his entries so I am going to see how it works from here on the numbers are starting at number nine because I have made 8 posts recently regarding the cabin structure. I will follow a similar pattern for different areas in the future.

Cabin Structure. part 9

After gluing up the sides and beams I noticed that I had not done as good a job making the beams line up on the top profile and this caused a problem with the gluing of the planks. My solution was to sand down the sides and ends to match the middle beams rather than removing the beams. this then ensured that all the curved surfaces were identical.

I made a long sander with some 220 grit and carpet tape strip of oak.

post-202-0-68563600-1385066136_thumb.jpg

I used the narrow side first then the wide side to finish, i did not see the need to go any finer than the 220 grit because all the surfaces will be covered with glue and other wood.

post-202-0-72722800-1385066138_thumb.jpg

This allowed me to set some new pine strips that were all the same thickness as the fir planks. These strips were glued to the perimeter and across the separation beam.

post-202-0-16087500-1385066140_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-03085700-1385066135_thumb.jpg

The fir planks will be pre drilled for the "screw plugs" (small dowels) before being glued to the top then the dowels and caulking before fitting the companion way slide logs and hatch.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael -

Teriffic woodworking on the cabin.  The huge 'sanding stick' is an elegant solution to the problem.  The joinery is superb.  You should consider submitting some photos to Fine Woodworking for their Reader's Gallery.when you are done.

Thanks for sharing, as always.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan Thanks for the compliment and thought.

At first I was like "that caulking looks terrible, look at all the bubbles that pop up" but then on the next picture where it's scraped, I was like O.O it looks AMAZING. I am definitely going that route in my next build

Hello Spencer welcome I think you must be referring to one of the earlier posts where i began using the coloured glue as a caulking.

In the deck planking I used a beveled edge and on the cabin top I am going to use a fine rabbet ti give a more consistent result.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

John, I suppose it depends on your point of view.

Michael

Cabin Structure part 10

This series of pictures shows the laying of the long planks and the inserts of the "Screw Plugs"

The first picture shows the planks glued to the beams after they have been drilled with an .048" drill which is close to a 3/8th scale screw plug. a 3/64th would have been more accurate which is .046875" I can live with it.

post-202-0-09855600-1385176977_thumb.jpg

Close up of the caulking rabbet

post-202-0-64153000-1385176978_thumb.jpg

The first plugs glued in.

post-202-0-15147000-1385176980_thumb.jpg

After the glue had set the dowels were cut off with an exacto saw blade proud of the plank surface.

post-202-0-77513800-1385176981_thumb.jpg

The plug was then pared down with a very sharp chisel.

post-202-0-32537900-1385176983_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-96364300-1385176984_thumb.jpg

The rest of the plugs setting up.

post-202-0-59904500-1385176975_thumb.jpg

The next part will cover the companionway and slide logs.

Michael

Deck Fittings part 1

While waiting for caulking glue to dry, I unraveled some copper ground wire pulled it through the draw plate for the correct diameter to thread 0x80?

I spent some time bending up some deck eye bolts. These are going to receive rings as well. There will be a few sizes from 1 inch to 2 inch OD in scale

post-202-0-37614000-1385450075_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-88616400-1385450076_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-55146800-1385450074_thumb.jpg

When they are all made they will be silver soldered.

Michael

Michael,

I envy you the scale of your boat.  I’ve always wanted to put fasteners on eyebolts under the deck but after the deck is on and the hull is planked there’s no way to get to them.  Yours are looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob, John, Thanks. The thread in masting and rigging about fly tying has really got me thinking.

Michael

You've spoiled us, Michael.   Thread and nuts on the eyebolts, yet.  Looks great!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jay Mark, Mark, Ron, Crackers, Thanks for your encouraging comments.

Michael

Cabin Structure part 11

Most of the caulking is now completed and scraped. The first picture shows the dark carpenters glue filling the seams befor scraping. A few spots needed to be topped up with more caulking.

post-202-0-41733200-1385538452_thumb.jpg

The second shows the scraping of the planks and caulking.

post-202-0-03371700-1385538454_thumb.jpg

Test fitting the slide logs, these are both different heights because of the slope of the larger area I used a couple of sticks to ensure they remained parallel and level to each other

post-202-0-86227200-1385538450_thumb.jpg

The rear section glued and ready to be scraped, the slide logs are located to measure the forward end panel of the companionway, this will be mahogany.  The aft end will also get mahogany side slots for the drop in boards up to the hatch. after the pine section of the curved plank stop is removed.

post-202-0-80768900-1385538214_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-99452300-1385538212_thumb.jpg

Michael

very nice work Michael.........did you consider using rope calking?   the slide rails look awesome.....are you to add stops on them as well?  gonna look sweet when done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I love the caulking, Michael and the grain of the wood works very well at your scale. Is the glue just tinted carpenter's glue and have you done this before? Just wondering if the glue might shrink a bit over time.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Excellent joinery, as always, Michael.  Impressive work with the eyebolts too, as everyone has said.

What finish are you thinking about for the cabin?

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Denis, Greg, John, Dan, and Dan for all the kind remarks.

.did you consider using rope calking?   the slide rails look awesome.....are you to add stops on them as well?

Dennis No I did not consider rope caulking. I'm not quite sure what you mean by stops on the rails.

Is the glue just tinted carpenter's glue and have you done this before? Just wondering if the glue might shrink a bit over time.

Greg, Yes the caulking is coloured Carpenters clue, placed with a syringe, it is the same glue as the deck caulking and that is now over a year old.

What finish are you thinking about for the cabin?

Dan I am thinking that the cabin will get the same teak oil finish, it will allow the wood to breath.

Michael

Cabin Structure part 12

The planking and scraping are finished on the top and now the bottom locating cleats are being glued to the bottom this cabin needs to be removable so that the weights and servo etc can be accessed.

post-202-0-51800100-1385620527_thumb.jpg

The second picture shows the cleats being glued and also shows the small clamp draw from the card catalog file cabinet that shows up in some of the pictures.

post-202-0-10568700-1385620525_thumb.jpg

Next is the hatch cover boards and the splines ready to be glued to the cross beams of the hatch.

post-202-0-16300200-1385620526_thumb.jpg

The last picture shows a small work station that I can move quickly off the wood workbench, it has a cork surface and the pliers are held by some small 1/4 inch ceramic magnets glued into the pine backboard.

post-202-0-45154100-1385620523_thumb.jpg

Michael

I wished I worked like that.........my table always looks like ground zero! :D :D :D     what I meant Michael,  is are there to be stops for the hatch cover rails......to keep it from sliding too far backwards and forwards.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fine work, as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray