starter lathe --

I have never owned or used a lathe before and before I start my next project I would like to get my first power tool (excluding my fine drill).

Can you offer your thoughts on what I should be looking for/ or avoid!, I am hoping to find a second hand one as there is no immediate rush.

Thanks Guys

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

What is your approximate budget?

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I was hoping just a couple of hundred UK pounds as it will only be for turning down yards extra as I have no training on using it for anything else, but a good business case could get me to spend lots more :)

Hi Ian,

The key question to ask on the lathe is potentially what is the max between centres, IE what is the longest item you would wish to turn in the lathe.

2 examples from ARC Euro trade would be the C0 baby and C3 super

C3  is just shy of £600 but has a centre distance of 400mm (see Link)

The C0 is £255 but only has a centre distance of 125mm (see Link)

regards

Ian

Edited by peewee

Ian

Still Sane? who knows, who cares

Current Build Panart deck section

links don't seem to work for me

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Take a look at the Proxxon DB250.  I used it on my Badger and really liked it.  It was very well made, stable and easy to use.  I sold it after getting my hands on a Sherline, but if you are planning on staying with wood turning, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Ian,

I have the Proxxon and find it more than adequate for small work.

If you want to buy it do so in euros from TBS-Aachen. Even with carriage you will save oodles compared to UK prices.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

thanks Mike. I'd been musing over a little proxxon lathe for months and that website is cheaper than anyone else I'd found previously by a third - even taking the shipping from Germany to New Zealand into account.

Ian,

When pricing the lathe up you need to take in to account that the lathe (probably) not come with any tools. I think there is a least one other thread on this forum that discusses lathes. I will try to ID it/them.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Ian,

Found a few links on this forum which may help

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/5479-which-lathe-to-buy/ 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4925-proxxon-fd150e-metal-lathe-review/ 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1242-cool-tool-lathe-unimat-moved-by-admin/

In the downloads section of this forum there are some good articles in the tools and materials section. A particularly good one is:

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/materials_and_tools/LatheWork1.pdf . It is by Eric Tilley and contains some very helpful info - including DO's and DO'NTs. Well worth reading for anyone new to lathes.

When I first started with lathes I bought myself a book titled Introducing the Lathe by Stan Bray. It cost £5 and still sits next to my workbench.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thank you all, this is really appreciated, I shall look through the links etc

Cheers Ian

Hi Brian, yes e-bay will be my first port of call I just need to know what I should be looking for, If I see anything that might be suitable I shall post on here for comments.. :)

way out of my price range but I saw this on e-bay-- it just looks just so in the era of steam-- I would just want one to put on show !

post-13362-0-32822900-1405580821_thumb.jpg

I also have been looking at metal lathes. 

I am a rank beginner and it would be my first metal lathe.  My hesitation about buying a used one from ebay is not knowing if any of the parts are damaged or set incorrectly.  I have read some of the problems faced by others who bought used ones and ran into problems.  Especially for those not experienced enough to spot problems.

Also, I have found that companies like Sherline or Little Machine Shop have extensive support which has been very helpful as I start out.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

That green lathe looks like a Myford knock off.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! :)

I was thinking of getting the Proxxon DB 250.

Started wondering though if it isnt a bit too small? The centre distance is 250 mm.

Isnt that a bit too short for many yards and masts?

I might be wrong though, because I havnt studied my drawings yet, as I stumbled over this thread just now.

Cheers!

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

I don’t know how anyone turns masts in a lathe.  The main top mast I just made is .156 (4mm) dia and 9” (223mm) long.  If I put that in the lathe the center would vibrate off center so much I would not be able the put a tool against it.  I use my lathe for parts under 4” (100mm) long. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob

What an invaluable piece of common sense info!!!

I've been following this discussion as I have a hankering to pick up a lathe down the road but, like so many, it seems I don't have a clue.

Thank you

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I have the Proxxon Lathe too. It's great for small jobs like masts, spars and pedistals.  I have successfully used it to shape masts and spars on half a dozen builds. Dowel slides right through the main body of the lathe so you can work on reasonably long lengths.  I tend to do my shaping with various grades of glasspaper checking constantly with my vernier calipers. I have my lathe mounted permanently on a tray that has a lip around it.Tthis means I can pull it foward and back depending on whether I am using it or not - it also minimises dust. I also made a perspex cover for the chuck (sold separately) so I don't take the skin off my knuckles when working close to it. 

post-1505-0-64724200-1406598318.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I have had my Sherline short bed for over 25 yrs. I have found that it paid for itself when I started heavy duty kit bashing and scratch building. From metal turning and cutting to wood it has not steered me wrong.

David B

If space is at a premium buy a metal working lathe as you can turn both metal and wood on it. Not so easy to do the other way round!

Seek out suitable websites or buy a book on using the lathe, something like "The Amateur's Lathe" by LH Sparey. You'll be amazed at what you can do with a Lathe!

PS. Save some space for a Milling Machine... :-)

Just a thought.  If you can find a good Unimat 3 lathe you might want to consider it.  It isn't made anymore but I think it was one of Unimat's best offerings.  If you can get the complete set it also has a milling column that is great.  Here in the US they show up on eBay regularly for a couple of hundred U$.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Thanks grsjax :)

I think rather I meant that I will get a lathe..

I have to look around what options there are though.

AND also examine my wallet ;)

Cheers!

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

If you're only looking to turn spars, mast, etc, I would check out the Grizzly Hobby Lathe.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hobby-Lathe-Disc-Sander/H2669

I have one and it's come in handy for turning mast and spars and other small turning projects. It's easy to setup and use all need is the drill motor that fits the collar. You can attach it to your work bench with some clamps or mount it directly.  I used it to turn the mast for my Enterprise.

post-306-0-23768400-1406673193_thumb.jpg

post-306-0-35822900-1406673575_thumb.jpg

post-306-0-91763900-1406673190_thumb.jpg

post-306-0-99033800-1406673191_thumb.jpg

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com

Hello i also got the DB250, the limitations are the centre distance of 250mm (25cm) and the fact you can only insert 2-4-6-8 and 10 mm round wood in it. You need the 4 claw chuck to insert small diameter round wood of another diameter (1-3-5-7-9 mm) or use tape or something to extend the diameter. If your work is bigger you have a few claw plates that are good enough.

But turning small diameters, your work does tend to break.

But its really small and will not take up your entire workplace. If you have alot of room i'd go for a complete secondhand (metal) lathe, but the db 250 is really nice if you can accept its limitations.

Edited by hlipplaa

Halve maen 1608 (rigging and improvements to be finished)

Enterprise 1799 Building currently