hi all

I am sure I have seen a table somewhere that gives an idea of deck plank length against model scale

I have been searching for it but can't find it maybe it was in the earlier site

I am building a 1/75 Vasa any ideas as to the plank length would be helpful I am planking the deck rather than the printed deck supplied

Thanks

Andy

Andy:

An average deck plank length will be about 15-20 ft. So, at your scale, it would be about 2.5 to 4 inches, give or take. 

Russ

Edited by russ

Andy

You may find it beneficial to join the Wasa group, of which Fred Hocker is an active member and Clayton Johnson is the administrator.  The deck planking thickness is different on each deck.  Not only does the length of each plank vary, the widths vary as well.  There are plans of the deck planking that may help.

Fred's  book on the Wasa may be of interest as well.

http://warshipvasa.freeforums.net

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to the article downloads area, AEW has prepared a very useful plank length calculator....

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Andy

You may find it beneficial to join the Wasa group, of which Fred Hocker is an active member and Clayton Johnson is the administrator.  The deck planking thickness is different on each deck.  Not only does the length of each plank vary, the widths vary as well.  There are plans of the deck planking that may help.

Fred's  book on the Wasa may be of interest as well.

http://warshipvasa.freeforums.net

Allan

Andy I would follow Allan's advice.  Fred is the curator of the Vasa Museum and is the aknowledged expert.  He did a great write up on the decking.  If you are after a faithful reproduction you should check out the website and the book if it is still available

post-227-0-20290100-1406834422_thumb.jpg

David B