Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HM Brig Badger by gunslinger4hire - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64, first wooden ship build by me

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGermany / Lünen

Finished first planking (hull_003)

So first planking is finished. I also reinforced the first planks with glue and laminated

paper strips from the inside. Now the hull is really stiff...

Next steps i will put on some filling paste and sanding it.

Attached Files

Current build:

1. CalderCraft HM Brig Badger 1778 Scale: 1:64

On hold:

1. Panart Royal Caroline 1749

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Cannons (cannon_001)

To get the head clear of tapering planks meanwhile i started to build the cannons.

Attached Files

Current build:

On hold:

Landlubber Mike

Landlubber Mike
  • Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Looking great Gunslinger.  Cannons came out nicely blackened.  What blackening solution did you use?

Mike

Current builds:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)   Amati/Victory Pegasus

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle

Kits on shelf:  MS Charles W. Morgan, Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde

Future dream scratch build:  Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs)

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Hi Mike, thanks for the compliment. But i think the hull looks better on the pictures than in real... ;-)

For the blackening i used this blackening solution: http://www.krickshop...ngsmittel-50-ml

Krickshop is a germany located shop specialized in model building, but not only in model ships.

Oli

Current build:

On hold:

normanh

normanh
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSouth Essex UK

When I built my Badger I installed the ply deck first as that gave an edge to bond and hold the gunport ply and also helped in lining the port ply correctly  well better.

Your barrels look good with the chemical blackener, thats what I will use next time for sure rather than paint on brass.

Norman.

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

I already thought about the problem of removing the bulkhead stubs before installing the deck. Because most of the gluing area now is that part of the hull, that keeps the gunport pattern. But i think, when the second planking on the outside is completed, the glued on planks on the gunport pattern will hold it in place.

Bah, for now it is too late. I will see how it outcomes, when removing the bulkhead stubs. Maybe i reinforce the joint between planks and gunport pattern also with laminating glueed paper over the joint. After i laminated the planks with the paper, the hull and planks got really really sturdy...

Yap, the blackening solution did a great job. And it was really fast. I think after 15 minutes the grade of black was reached. But probably i will put some matt black paint also on them, to get some little more texture on the barrels. Now they are still really smooth.

Current build:

On hold:

normanh

normanh
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSouth Essex UK

To remove the stubs of the frames use a razor saw its so simple but when you come to the bows the end of the saw blade will need to be cut at 45 degrees to enable sufficient clearance around the gunport ply. Cut almost right through the twist the stub off carefully with a pair of long nose pliers. Always make sure the stubs are not glued to the ply otherwise you will make a right mess.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

hi norman, i have some small fine japanes woodworking saws. with them i will cut the stubs without effort... ;-)

unfortunately i had to glue the gunport pattern to the bulkheads, otherwise the gunport pattern wouldn't hold to the hull.

but thats ok, i also got some really sharp bench chisels... and when tey become dull i sharpen them again... ;-)

tomorrow i wil sand the hull and hopefully can start with the second planking...

Current build:

On hold:

normanh

normanh
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSouth Essex UK

Thats exactly why i said I installed the ply deck to give something for the gunport ply to bond to, to reinforce it I added a couple of layers of second planking. On the stubs - I wrapped a silicone release paper to stop the gunport bonding. Normal razor saws are ok until you get to the bow stubs then you need the 45 degree angle to manage a cut.

Norman

Norman

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

yes you are right. the stubs at the bow won't be cut with my japanese saws. for that they are still to big... :-(

Current build:

On hold:

normanh

normanh
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSouth Essex UK

The simple solution is get a cheap razor saw and cut th end off, I used my Dremel with a cut off disc, was a tad slow but saved getting the 5 1/4 inch grinder out.

http://www.westbourn...del-Making.html

Once modified it still works fine.

Norman

Norman

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

yes probably i will need one of these...

still sanding the hull. for now it seems that it will come out quite good for my first attempt planking a hull... :D

i cant wait starting the second planking. trying to avoid my mistakes i made while first planking.

Current build:

On hold:

normanh

normanh
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSouth Essex UK

Dont forget to get a good few planks overlapping the gunport ply at least before you break off the stubs.

Norman

Norman

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

First Planking finished

So after fixing some spots with putty i am satisfied with my first try of planking a hull...

Attached Files

Current build:

On hold:

Landlubber Mike

Landlubber Mike
  • Members
  • 1,151 posts

Looks great!  Get it nice and smooth and fill in any low spots.  Second planking goes on much easier.

Mike

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

So, on Saturday i started 2nd planking. I will use planks cut at 10cm length to plank the hull. I also ordered some wider strips to cut the tapered planks out of them. The supplied planks i will use where useful or they will get a chance later on planking some of the plywood stuff.

Attached Files

Current build:

On hold:

Landlubber Mike

Landlubber Mike
  • Members
  • 1,151 posts

Nice work.  How do you like the planking screws?  I bought a set but never used them, opting to go for push pins.

Mike

Beef Wellington

Beef Wellington
  • Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
Hi gunslinger, just found your log. Your Badger is coming along very nicely, look forward to more progress pictures.

Cheers,

Jason

"But if you ask the reason of this, many will be found who never thought about it"

In the shipyard:

HMS Snake (c1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

HMS Jason (c1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Hi Mike, probably both types, the push pins and the planking screws, have their advantages.

With the push pins you need less unplanked space to work with. Best result with both is done,

drilling the holes you need. I like the firm pressure you can put on the plank. What i dislike,

is the cheap quality of the screws and the clamp pieces.

I plan to use the screws more often, especially around stem and stern...

At the gun openings i was a little messy, when i opened them. And filing back the overlapping

planks opened the gun ports a little more. While i thought about removing the planks and cutting

new ones to correct the wrong measurements, i got the idea to simulate the vertical and horizontal

logs, that supported the ports.

So i can correct the opening and add some detail. Even if it will be not so historically correct. ;-)

Also really excited about the next steps. Trying to sharpen my accuracy this turn... ;-)

Current build:

On hold:

gunslinger4hire

gunslinger4hire
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Update second planking: the garboards are installed also the first row of spiled planks... following the tutorials it works like a charm...

Attached Files

Current build:

On hold:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.