Rich,

I daresay most of us do.  Some even add the additional step of putting a pin through the carriage and into the deck.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rich,

I would say yes, and also pin them. The latter can be achieved, by a strategically placed pin under the centre of each axle, such that it is not visible from the outside. A light smear of glue on the trucks can also help. It is probably advisable to fix the guns down to prevent subsequent any movement, particularly under a deck where they can't later be reached. 

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Yes, otherwise they are never where they are supposed to be.  I like Mark's idea because you don't want the slightest trace of glue under the trucks.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I must have mis-typed..   Most of us glue the trucks to the deck and then pin much as Kester says.   I did see one, maybe back on DDM, that had a small block of wood between the carriage and the deck instead of pinned. The block was painted flat black to hide it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I intend to use some #0 x 3/8" wood screws I purchased to secure the gun carriages to the deck on my 1:75 scale Unicorn for all the deck guns that will be inaccessible once the quarter deck is in situ. These micro screws will be out of sight on the mounted guns. I am even considering drilling the underside of the barrels and inserting a brass pin to securing them to the carriage. If any of these guns break loose,whilst further work proceeds,they would be nigh on impossible to reattach without making a complete mess working through the 10 x 10mm gun ports.

John

post-6323-0-78191100-1406687321_thumb.jpg

Hi John, that might sound like overkill but I agree with you that a belt and suspenders approach is a good idea for something as critical as the guns.  I move my completed models a lot and like to have everything as secure as possible.

Edited by testazyk

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

As well as a central pin,one trick that works well,that I learnt from Keith Julier's books,is to drag the complete carriage very lightly over abrasive paper on a flat surface.This puts a tiny flat on each wheel,you can apply a little glue to these flats and it is not visible when fitted.For some reason the carriages look better as they seem fitted rather than hovering on the surface,I can't explain why,it must be one of those tricks on the eye :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for the very detailed answers. I pinned the two guns on my first model and they still pivot on the pin. So I guess I'll glue as well as pin.

Thanks

Thanks for the very detailed answers. I pinned the two guns on my first model and they still pivot on the pin. So I guess I'll glue as well as pin.

Thanks

Try using two pins per gun. ;)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.