Dan Vad

How To : Add a Build Log Link to your Signature

42 posts in this topic

How To : Add a Build Log Link to your Signature

1. First you must Create the Link. Open the Build Log to your FIRST Post. RIGHT-Click on the Icon that contains the Post Number, and Select "Copy Link Location" from the Drop-down Box as shown in the pics below.

pic1.jpg

NOTE for Internet Explorer users - Select "Copy Shortcut" instead of "Copy Link Location".

pic1a.jpg

2. Open your Profile Editor by first Clicking on the Avatar Photo in the Post. If you haven't posted a photo yet then click on where it should be :

pic2.jpg

3. Click the "Edit My Profile" Button :

pic3.jpg

4. Click the "Signature" Button :

pic4.jpg

5. This brings up an Edit Box. Type the Name you want displayed (the Name of your Ship, and any other information you want to be seen) :

pic5.jpg

6. Select the text by dragging the Mouse across it while holding down the left button. Click on the "Link" Button in the Format Menu - it looks like a Chain :

pic6.jpg

7. This will open a Link Edit Box. Paste the Copied Link into the Box shown in the picture by RIGHT-Clicking in the box and Selecting "Paste" from the Drop-Down Menu :

pic7.jpg

8. The Text in your Signature has now been turned into a Link.

You can Format the Text by using the Options in the Menus above the Edit Box.

For instructions on how to Format Text check the "How To : Formatting Text in Posts" Topic.

Thanks go to Wayne (trippwj) who supplied the bulk of the information in this Topic. I've merely changed it to a Format that was the same as the other "How To"s - Danny Vadas

Jeff-E, trippwj and Anja like this

Hello Dan

I am having troulble establishing a link to my build sight.  When I right click the number in my first post I do not get the same drop down menu as you do. I must be doing something wrong.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I'm not sure what your problem was, but it worked OK for me.

Check out your Signature now  :) .

:cheers:  Danny

mtaylor likes this

Wow! Thanks for your quick reply and establishing the link for me That is what I really appreciate the members and the sight Thanks again

Dan Vad likes this

Hello Dan

I am having troulble establishing a link to my build sight.  When I right click the number in my first post I do not get the same drop down menu as you do. I must be doing something wrong.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Geoff

Hi,

I'm having the same problem I don't get this drop down either, I just get this one all the time

post-168-0-61033200-1362778285.png

Sorry to be a pain but is there any chance you can let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers Phil,

Edited by xavjar

You are obviously using Windows Internet explorer instead of Firefox (like me).

Use the "Copy Shortcut" item instead of the non-existent "Copy Link Location" - it does exactly the same thing.

:cheers:  Danny

Thanks a lot Danny,

You're right I am using explorer, I know how its done know!!!!!!

Cheers Phil,

HI Danny

Sorry to bust in on your day as I know you have better things to do!

Am using Windows Explorer and the drop down won't appear with a right click or when clicking on the shortcut feature in the windows dialog box. I note your using a PHP file which I am unable to translate. Any Ideas as to what I should do to access the drop down box?

No rush as I have plenty to do.

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

Hello Dan

I am new to ship building. Currently building the We're Here.  If I  press all the right

buttons a new building log will start.  My question is: do photographs need to be resized,

if so what size?

This has been a wonderful sight with lots of inspiration, and information.

Jan 

Hello Dan,

I am trying to make a buillog send a mail but cannot find how to go on specialy I cannot find the number off my mail.

Plaese can you help me out i use Chrome and windows 7

Jan

Jan,

Upper right hand corner of the topic.   "Follow this Topic" buton.

You will also have go to your profile and set your notifications.

Here's the thing,

I've spent the last 23 years telling my wife what a catch I was explaining amongst other things how intelligent I am. Try as I might however I cannot seem to get starting a build log. I've look at "Add a build log to your signature" (maybe this isn't) the start. Can some one help.....................................and here I am thinking the actual building was going to be the hard part :o

Cheers

Medic

Is the browser you're using IE 11? If it is, the problem is probably there. We've been having compatibility problems with IE. Chrome or Firefox will work in it's stead though. Or, I believe if you roll IE back to v10, that will work as well. Welcome to the Forum by-the-way.  :sign:

Cheers  :cheers:

Canute likes this

Thanks Mark/ George,

My 13 year old son did tell me that we were IE 11. So he suggested we use Chrome as a search engine and he followed Mark's suggestions. As I've always said " When in doubt follow the instructions of an adolescent.

Cheers

Medic :10_1_10:

mtaylor, GLakie and trippwj like this

Hi my name is snore pert and I need help to guide me how to start a post on a build I am working on.

I am using my iPad and wondered if there is some guide on how to start this process.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks Snoepert

Snoepert,

You can find the instructions here for kit builds or here for scratch builds.  The instructions show how to name your log  as well as general guidelines for the threads themselves. Good luck on your build

You might want to browse some of the other builds here on the site, and leave a few comments along the way, because you'll need at least 10 posts in order to post links and pictures. That rule is in place to prevent spamming.

Cheers  :cheers:

Hi Medic,

I'm having the same problem. I must have tried six times to add a link. Maybe I've succeeded, I don't know. How do I know if a link is established?

If it is, will I see it in my profile?

Hi Dan,

I've tried establishing a link at least 8 times now.

When I get the link edit box it has about 3 more boxes below the URL box (not just 3 like your sample).

If I right click in the URL box (is this the box you mean by 'the box shown in the picture') and select 'paste',

it puts the text from my first post in the box. Is this what it's supposed to do?

I didn't get any of the information I typed for my build post.

I'm about to give up trying.

it puts the text from my first post in the box. Is this what it's supposed to do?

The address of the post is a line of text. Provided you copied it correctly that is what is pasted into the URL box.

I've done it for you Bill - I hope that's the right page :) . To Edit it further open your Profile and go down to Signature. Proceed as a normal post edit.

I also renamed and moved it to Kit Build Logs in Progress - you had it in Nautical Discussion. I'm assuming it is the start of your Build Log?

When I get the link edit box it has about 3 more boxes below the URL box

This may be caused by using a different web browser to mine (I use Google Chrome now, but I was using Firefox when I posted this topic a couple of years ago). Just use the URL box and ignore the others.

:cheers:  Danny

mtaylor likes this

Hola:

I can't remember how to add a link to my completed model gallery to my signature  (although I did already 2 times in the past!!).

Please point me to the instructions - I know they are somewhere.

Saludos, Karl

Karl, just go back to page 1 in this thread. All the instructions are there.

You will need to open your Gallery post and Copy the address in the browser bar. Paste this into the Link box.

:cheers:  Danny

Hola Dan:

I had already made what you say but instead of appearing the Name of the ship it appears all the http// name. I think the instructions to add a page for a construction page (pp 1 of this thread) differ to the one to add a Gallery one.

Saludos, Karl

Hola Dan:

I do not know how you do it but thanks for your help fixing my Signature.

Saludos, Karl

do you have one simple way to open a built log ? i know it s due to me but i don t understand anything  and i really try to do it . i would like to make a built log about my cutty sark from mantua .