Fishcutter GO-38 by slagoon - Paper Trade - CARD - 1:150 (Bouwplaat viskotter GO-38)

Hi all,

My job has major up and down swings as far as how busy I am, and sometimes I even run out of busy work.  I would sit there and read through MSW thinking about my build or my upcoming builds...but what I really wanted to be doing during the down time was modeling. I purchased a card kit of a fishing boat. I have never ever built a card model, and I've seen some of the amazingly intricate work that was on the old forum....knowing I'd probably botch my first one I just grabbed a low cost one that still seemed interesting.

So here it is. Of course you will see some big mistakes - please point them out and tell me how I can avoid them next time.

Here is the kit - I can't find builds of it ANYWHERE including the paper model forums...

CA_01281306455728-M.jpg

CA_01281306460404-M.jpg

I started with the structure.

CA_01281306454007-M.jpg

CA_01281306454408-M.jpg

Here is my first mistake...I glued the two sides together as the instructions said - but due to their translation I didn't  know to avoid gluing the tabs and that they would be placed separated on the base. I cut them back apart as best as I could.

CA_01281306454759-M.jpg

CA_01281306455137-M.jpg

After getting my stations organized I put them on.

CA_01281306455482-M.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

The next step was putting on the decks.

CA_01281306461066-M.jpg

CA_01281306461448-M.jpg

CA_01281306460803-M.jpg

Then I built my first deck building.

CA_01281306461757-M.jpg

CA_01281306462290-M.jpg

There were little cutouts to make the hatches look more realistic

CA_01281306462017-M.jpg

so I put that and the roof structure on

CA_01281306462585-M.jpg

Then I put the upper level base on it.

CA_01281306474002-M.jpg

CA_01281306463857-M.jpg

CA_01281306464578-M.jpg

CA_01281306465391-M.jpg

CA_01281306464275-M.jpg

Then I put the stair steps on it

CA_01281306464521-M.jpg

CA_01281306464724-M.jpg

CA_01281306465089-M.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Then I installed the little house on the ship

CA_01281306465648-M.jpg

CA_01281306470118-M.jpg

Then it was time to prepare the walls

CA_01281306470609-M.jpg

CA_01281306470896-M.jpg

CA_01281306471162-M.jpg

CA_01281306471419-M.jpg

And then I put the walls on the ship

CA_01281306471685-M.jpg

CA_01281306471941-M.jpg

CA_01281306472217-M.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Next was putting the machinery deck on. They had a little staircase too - which I think I showed some improvement on over the previous set.

CA_02261300023900-M.jpg

CA_02261300023643-M.jpg

CA_02261300023396-M.jpg

CA_02261300024103-M.jpg

CA_02261300020323-M.jpg

CA_02261300020620-M.jpg

CA_02261300020900-M.jpg

CA_02261300021190-M.jpg

CA_02261300021527-M.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Time for the building on the poop deck.

CA_02261300022362-M.jpg

CA_02261300022547-M.jpg

CA_02261300022684-M.jpg

CA_02261300022862-M.jpg

CA_02261300023032-M.jpg

CA_02261300023254-M.jpg

CA_02261300021681-M.jpg

CA_02261300022021-M.jpg

Finally is the ship's boat

CA_02261300020124-M.jpg

CA_02261300015528-M.jpg

I've been working on this over the last month and that's all I've gotten to so far...just finally got around to grabbing the photos off my phone.  Hope you enjoyed.  Trying to understand the "card" instructions has so far been the hardest part.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hi Sarah,

Nice to see a Dutch ship  :)

Goederede ( name of the ship) is a town in Zeeland in Holland.

It's a fisherman village.

I think you can learn Dutch for the manuel?

If you have questions of need a translation, please let me know!

It's a nice looking vessel and you make a lot of progress.

Sjors

Oh neat - Thanks Sjors. The manual is predominantly in a germanic language....so either Dutch or German..... I assume you'd be able to tell from a few sentences....

Bouwaanwijzingen

-Werk zorgvuldig symmetrisch: merktekens geven de as van het schip aan.

-Schuingedrukt: extra onderdelen voor meer ervaren bouwers. Bestudeer het gedeelte over de tuigage vóór U begint met bouwen.

I suspect that since whatever ↑ is the primary language the instructions might make more sense in that language.

The ship is really fun to work on and I've really been challenged with the paper.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hi Sarah,

I think that I have to translate what is in the quote?

Here is comes,

Build Instructions

- Work carefully symmetric: marks indicate the axis of the ship

- Italic: additional components for more experienced builders. Study the section on the rig before you start building.

Hopes this help you.

Sjors

Sjors, cool - good to know that it is indeed Dutch. I had just given you the first two sentences so you could confirm it :) luckily those parts were similar to the english translation that was included...but there were some parts that I think the translation was missed...I figured them out eventually but now I know who I can turn to in order to get clarification if the English version just doesn't make sense.  You bi-lingual folks just amaze me. 

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hi Sarah,

When you need a translation let me know.

We are a small country but most of the Dutch people speaks English, German, French

We have to because we are travelling around the world and Dutch is not that easy……….but not so difficult because everybody speaks it here :)

Even the little boy of 3 years old next door :P

Sjors

What fun, Sarah! This one really brought a smile. I much look forward to the rest. We'll have to keep a watch on Sjors' translations though - he might have the temptation to slip in a joke or two!

Tony

I have to hand it to you Sarah....you are one BRAVE shipwright.  Glad to see you've enlisted Sjors as translator.

I just have to ask.........  Is your comment 'Then I installed the little house on the ship' a technical term?  :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sarah,

Don't listen to those guys!

When I came with a joke, I tell you ( some times)  :)

Augie,

That is Dutch for "entrance into the ship".

Sjors

Sarah and Sjors ---- an unique team.  Can't wait to see the outcome.

Check out ccoyle log on Puigcerda .  He has a link there to Paper Shipwright.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, I'll check it out right away - thanks :)  I don't think I'm brave though...just really having a good time is all. The problem with the instructions is it says "form part 27 so that it matches outlines on deck" so it doesn't really tell me the proper names for things, and being that I have no background in naval architecture I don't know the right word myself :( Though we can decide that it is indeed the technical word for "room thingy"

Tony, hopefully the smile wasn't due to you laughing at how horribly I've crumpled some of the stuff ;)

Hrvoje, Thanks, I've got a metal warship model on order....so no the only limit is your imagination!

Sjors, I can always check against google translate if I think you are making a fool of me  - but I know you'd give in and tell me the truth sooner or later...cause you are a good person.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah........Sjors would never make a fool of YOU.  He has Frank and I to pull that on .

And thanks, 'room thingy' is proper nautical nomenclature (for the 21st Century).  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

If you look closely at my pic, Sarah, you'll see the smile is accompanied by the knowing wink of recognition of enjoyment and its source. But maybe the resolution is not good enough --- you'll just have to take my word for it.

Tony

Hi Sarah,

That's a nice result for a first paper build ! In some ways it is more difficult than wood.

I'll double-check Sjors's translations for you to be sure he's not joking too much  ;)

By the way: this is a real existing ship. Here's a link to a picture of her: http://www.schollekop.nl/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6604

The pic was taken on a "vlaggetjesdag". which would translate to flags day. This is a annual event in which the local fleet is shown and usually open to public.

Arjan

If it doesn't bend, it breaks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Sarah

Glad to see some CARD models being put back up. I remember the old MSW had a CARD riverboat that was a free download from Disney, which some builder had built. I was amazed at how real a cardstock model could be. Cant wait to see this one finished.

Here's that riverboat link:

http://www.disneyexperience.com/models/marktwain_model.php

cool - thank you!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

I remember the old MSW had a CARD riverboat that was a free download from Disney,

madchemist, that was Vulcanbomber's (Caroline) model.

Nice work Sarah  :) . If I can make one suggestion - when making things like the companionways (ladders) it's a lot easier to make the whole unit OFF the ship first before adding the details (like the steps). Do a lot of "dry" fitting before gluing the piece in to make sure you have all the angles right, or if it needs a bit of trimming to make it fit.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Danny - that's great advice...I don't think it looks very great, not compared to my wood models BUT I figure if anyone tries to do this same boat in the future they can see some of the steps (and what not to do). I'll get better...someday.... until then I've gotten my masts in the mail finally so I can probably get started on finishing the boat later this week :)

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Harvey, I have a 1:2400 (no there are not too many 0's) of the Missouri...I have a problem with insanity...

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build: