Online pirate sites and unscrupulous merchants to avoid

I came across a website called "Bestship models .com" recently. Being interested in the Endeavour I ordered a set of plans at a cost of $23.50- £14.53 from them.This was on 17th August. As I had not heared from them by 30th August I sent them an Email asking when I could expect the plans to be delivered. I still hadn't heared from them by 5th September & Emailed again . I am still waiting for a reply. Am I being impatient or does anyone have any information on this company? Any help much appreciated. Geoff

Hi Geoff

If you have paid already it might be an idea to get your credit card company to

reverse the charge

I don't know the company  but I don't like the smell of it

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

I paid by debit card on 17th August, it may be too late for a refund? What really concerns me is this. If this company is ripping people off then maybe they should be blacklisted like some kit manufacturers are, or is this a knee jerk reaction?

We had a thread on this firm at "MSW1" in which some said that this firm (and some other firm, using almost the same name which I now forgot) was selling plans of which they did not have the copyrights, had a somewhat sloppy service, and was to be avoided....

They have a phone-numer on their site, you could give it a try....

Jan

Edited by amateur

That site is a pirate site and most of the time, you won't get the goods you've ordered.  Have a look here:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7801-plan-sellers-to-avoid-renamed-moved-by-mod/

While we're at it:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/181-banned-kit-manufacturers-on-msw/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Geoff,

They know they're banished and they don't care.  There's been some interaction between the admins and them and like I said, they just don't care.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

so, basically what you are saying is they are untouchable? I guess I will have to put it down to experience, but what do they hope to gain by behaving in such a despicable way? I wish I knew where they lived! I would love to see their name appear on the banned list

Geoff,

This informational only... a quick google for the whois info returns what you're looking for.  Here's a sample link:  http://bestshipmodels.com.ipaddress.com/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

No problem, Geoff.   I didn't address your other question about their behavior.  Best answer is "money is the root of all evil", so follow the money.   And I believe this site is in the banned kit list with some other sites.  We can't catch them all nor can we really post them as unless someone admits to having the plans from the pirates, our hands are tied as far as banning the build. 

We can only hope that our members are honest and want to support those who put in the hours to make a plan and that they would never knowingly buy a pirated plan, but I suspect that's not always the case.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks once   again Mark. I don't think any member will ever post a build from their plans, if like myself they can't get their hands on them anyhow!  IF by chance (ha ha) my plans arrive guess where they are going? Clean answers only please!!

Edited by geoff

Geoff,

Long ago, I had purchased something from this outfit. They're in Israel, I believe. I think it is either run by, or they work with, a guy who is a ship modeler. I did receive the plans I ordered, but you could tell they were copied from some kit, but not one that I'd ever seen or heard of. I think it was some Eastern European manufacturer. As far as I know, they might actually have the rights to sell the stuff, but there was something just not quite right in my dealings with them.

The plans had no scale on them, belaying plans were numbered, but there was no guide as to what the numbers corresponded to. Lots of issues like that. So, the plans ended up being worthless. I've since warned ship modeling sites about them. One old site used to be a "dealer" for them, but after I and a few others complained about the company, they decided to break their ties.

I suspect you'll get your plans and they may or may not be useful, but I think we're all better off not dealing with them. Not much you can do beyond that except learn from it.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Interesting. I looked at their site today after reading this thread. They were offering two different sets of the Connie. I at 1:76 and another at 1:93. I do not know of any other manufacturers that have the Connie at 1:93 other than Mamoli. So I suspect these sets are Model Shipways and Mamoli.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

They also ripped off a bunch of the ANCRE plans and as I understand it, the plans are "wonky" in that they're not square in any direction.  Badly distorted.

Anyway, back to modeling.....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

This has been moved here and locked.  If you find a site that is dealing in pirated plans or doesn't deliver, open a topic.  If warranted, it will be added to this.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: