USS Constitution - Constructo vs Mantua

Smcochrane

I need some really good advice but first the facts. This build is going to be a one off project. I have Leukemia and another blood cancer that makes my time short. I have never built any models from the time I was a teenager but I am an engineer. I was in the Air Force and Navy and was an in-flight maintenance man. Have experience in using wood working tools.

The only tall ship I have visited is the USS Constitution. My bucket list included a trip to Fenway Park and to see the Constitution. My old boss went with me to see a game and the boat. I want to build a plank on frame kit of the USS Constitution. I know good advise would be to start with a simpler hull or boat all together but I am hard headed and tired of being told what I cannot do any more.

Now that we have that out of the way I am looking for suggestions of what kit is going to be best. Best can mean many things such as best quality wood, instructions, detail but somewhere in that is the kit you would buy if it was going to be your last. The next thing is where to buy the kit. I live in the St. Louis area but I have no problem if I need to buy international.

If I should not get it finished I will be sure to give my wife instructions on who to ship it to so it can be completed.

Good luck with your build. 

You will get lots of help and encouragement here.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 2 years later...