Oseberg by Vivian Galad - Amati - 1:50 - modified kit

So, as I said, I´ll begin some new projects while still building the Chinese Junk. This is the first of two, the Osberg by Amati.

Before any sawdust comes through, I have to thank my friend Jack Panzeca for his gift. Yep, he was a sweety and sent me this kit he wouldn´t build for he already was building the Billing´s Oseberg - As I was always telling how nice it was and let it clear I would build one if I had, Jack surprised me with offering this one. Jack, here I am, building the ship - Thank you. :)^_^^_^

A review of the box - In comparison to the other 2 ships I built till now, the Amati Oseberg kit is a little sparse on material. Truth be told, that´s because the ship itself isn´t that material consumer - viking ships are fantastic ships considering the small use of wood and their sailing capabilities. The false keel and bulkheads are laser cut, as the wood for hull planking - at first I thought it strange for they´re strangely shaped, but that's explainable by the planking of a so characteristic hull. Some pictures follow:

post-8919-0-20009700-1412558131_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-44658500-1412558139_thumb.jpg

Fittings may be a problem to those who, as I do, like the wood everywhere. Shields are metal cast, oars are plastic as the mast step. All of those are already marked on my plans as scratchbuild fittings.

post-8919-0-60117800-1412558147_thumb.jpg

I have to say, though, that Amati Oseberg isn´t really the Oseberg. I measured the ship´s keell and middle bulkead to find she doesn´t fit on the true Oseberg dimensions - False keel should have 43,16cm, and it has 43,9cm, width should be 5,20cm, it´s 5,7cm. Also, Amati´s bring a strange dragon head instead of the engraved details Oseberg has, as a central oar holder that shouldn´t be there. My plans on bashing/modifying goes for removing the central oar holder, engraving the stem/stern as the Oseberg (well, the closest I can get, at least), adding the big barrel the museum ship exposes and chests before the oar holes. I´ll scratch the oars, shields, mast step and rudder.

I begun by building a stand. It´s a 6mm mdf board with two 6mm planks held together by butterfly bolts. I would install metal trails for a bulkead aligner, but changed my mind. Instead, I traced lines on the board and made a 90° angled piece gluing 2 mdf pieces (sanded and measured).

post-8919-0-93542300-1412558155_thumb.jpg

(To be continued)

False keel was attached to the stand, first picture shows the before first modification:

post-8919-0-54750200-1412567036_thumb.jpg

Second picture shows the after, as I cut the tail off. As I intend on building an engraved cover, that part had to get out of the way.

post-8919-0-27599600-1412567046_thumb.jpg

I waxed the false keel, then and started placing the bulkheads. They were glued and fixed to the block I made for 90° aligning. I took pictures only after they were already glued and I could verify they were rightly fixed.

post-8919-0-70539400-1412567055_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-44086800-1412567065_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-98531700-1412567074_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-14874900-1412567100_thumb.jpg

As the ship seems too fragile at this point, I decided to place beams between the bulkeads to assure they wouldn´t bend while planking.

post-8919-0-98700800-1412567109_thumb.jpg

And that´s it for now. Hope to be posting more pictures soon. :D :D

Edited by Vivian Galad

Hi Vivian,

You said you waxed the false keel.  I've never seen anyone mention doing that before, what is the purpose if I might ask?

Thanks!

Hi Vivian,

I am happy to be on the front row for your new build. I can't wait to see the modifications, especially the scroll work. Great work so far. Good luck and happy building.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Thanks, BrianC. ^_^

Brian, I should´ve better explained that. The false keel will be apparent. As with my other ships, I like to age/darken them - before planking I darkened the false keel with 2 coats of bittumen wax, that way I won't risk damaging the thin planking with a latter waxing. The planks will receive a coat of bittumen wax too and all the hull will be later varnished to attain an even darker hue. I could use a stain, but till now the bittumen wax for darkening wood and giving that old look is the best I´ve tested.

Jack, thank you. I´m already drawing the pattern for the scroll work. Scale is my main problem - it´ll push my skills to the limit.

Matti, the glues (be it CA or wood glue/white glue) usually stain the waxed wood. CA is worse, cause it can leave a white stain over the waxed wood - white/wood glue leaves a translucid spot. The wax weakens the CA bond, too, but other glues keep their properties. Usually I use a lot of CA, but not that much on waxed surfaces. tyvm for your visit. ^_^

Hey Vivian, I'm on board for this one as well.

I agree totally with your idea of darkening/staining prior to assembly.  Another benefit is that you don't have to worry so much about a little excess glue leaving a light spot because it's already pretty much the final color before you glue.  

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

You are off to a great start and I look forward to seeing your modifications.   I think I'll pull up a chair and sit over there.... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Grant!

Pops, right you are. That is something I learned from the Junk, while I darkened the deck in advance, against the after staining of the Caravel. It´s easier to work with the spots that way, cause the natural wood gets really marked by that spots - which we perceive only after staining, even when you had already sanded the wood. And welcome to my new build! ^_^

Mark, thank you for the encouragement. Feel free as the room is large :P

Edited by Vivian Galad

Hi Vivian!

I really like every one of your build choices - you have good taste!! :) For the detailed carvings you will be doing, you might look into the Dremel bits and techniques that bird carvers use.

Way to go Jack!

Edited to correct my grammar in case a certain English teacher finds her way to this thread! :)

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hi Vivian - I am going to follow this one because one of my sons was thinking about making it as well.  Maybe I can teach him something (which I first have to "steal" from you, that is... :) ).

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Cap´n Magee, thank you :blush: . Happy u didn´t miss the boat this time - just take a seat!

Jack, it´s some good advice and I´ll look into it for sure, thanks. I was already thinking in use the dremel (I did some tests in the past engraving wood with a dremel ^_^ ) - don´t worry about the teachers, if they come we teach them! :P :P

Hans, it´s a good choice for a build - viking ships are great, elegant and simple, yet a conqueror of the seas. If I can be of any help, I´ll be glad. And no stealing, only sharing in here. TY!

Schnu, feel free to follow, ask, suggest any thing u seem fit. Thank u for visiting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Vivian,

Seems like I rarely get in on the beginning of a build. Jack P. did such a beautiful job on his Oseberg. I look forward to seeing how you treat this build. I love the "antiquing" application, something I want to pursue with all my future builds. Look forward to learning from you, even brought my own chair :)!

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Hey, Sam, that´s a part of it. The other is that work is taking too much time from me and I can´t get to the shipyard as I would like. But she´s growing, my Oseberg version. ;)

Hey Bill, be welcome to my log, take some refreshments and feel free to point anything u want - at least regarding the build :P :P . Sometimes I think u guys put too much faith on me, lol!! But I´ll share everything I learn in my journey.

Carl, be welcome too. Glad u joined. ^_^

Gaetan, that´s a great build and made me think in hollowing at least a segment of my ship. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Hola Mija,

I see that you are now starting another project so good for you. I was able to get plans for a Viking Longboat that I plan to build from scratch. I will follow your posts from start to finish eagerly.

Tu Amigo, Raymond

Raymond, amigo, that´s great! Take a chair as everyone, there´s some snacks, just right there - that´s it! :P :P  Welcome to my new project!!

Here I go again - well, a little morose in comparison to the other builds, but steady!

I´m still planking the hull and finding it a bit harder than my two other buildings - I think that´s for the one layer planking. Till now my ships were double planked and that makes the work really easier - glue´s being some problem, too, as the white glue don´t fix the way I want and clamps don´t hold it as planned (well, as I planned, at least) - So I´m working with CA and white glue on planking; don´t know how it will hold as the years go by, but, I´ll follow that way. Also, it´s hard to align the planks to acquire symmetry.

post-8919-0-13483000-1415137665_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-94350300-1415137670_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-30648100-1415137676_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-81644300-1415137681_thumb.jpg

Seeing now, by the camera´s eye, maybe I´ll start it all again. At naked eye it seems more symmetrical. Last picture shows a point where I broke the plank and had to fix. At this moment i´m thinking in stripping the hull planks.

vivan,

you'll probably tear those planks to pieces after the use of CA, maybe a good idea to cut them loose with a very sharp knife ... kind-a slice em off

(Cut away from your hands and fingers!!)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Replank?  I thought they looked pretty good from over here.   I wonder if the Vikings worried about 'perfect planking'???  :)  ;)  

Ok.. to be serious... alcohol for the white glue, and acetone for the CA. I'm assuming that you didn't mix them on the same frame?  It's takes a bit of soaking to apply to the joint, If you can, pack the joint with a bit of paper towel soaked in the appropriate solvent.   I'd do one joint at a time starting at one end. 

Good luck and don't rush the removal. Let the solvent do the work. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hola Mija,

Sometimes you have to get the planks to cooperate with when they don't want to. What I find useful is a fabric steamer. Place the planks on the fabric steamer for a few minutes and gently bend the planks with your fingers before putting them on the frames. I hope this helps.

Raymond

Hi Vivian,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.  I had very similar problems and stripped back the hull planking as well.  Follow Mark's advice and you will be fine.  Don't let it get you down.  

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is on hold now, I´m on moving process (for the better, as I´ll get a bigger room for my shipyard :D ). I found the problem to be the 4th row, so, I´ll just remove 2/3 planks and rebuild. I really appreciate all the tips (first plank already removed using acetone and alcohol - it worked).

Anytime soon I´ll be posting again - ty all of u, guys. ^_^ ^_^ ^_^