Decided to build the USS Constitution 1/96 Scale Model

kmgreene

Hello all,

After reading about this wonderful ship, buying a 28X30 print of this ship (beautiful painting open sea full sail) and receiving a  wooden model from an old girlfriend, i decided to go to the next step and build myself a model of this wonderful piece of american naval maritime history.  I have put together model air planes and such, but i wanted something i could really show off.  I fell in love with this ship as well the the USS Constellation (from Baltimore area and love visiting the ship during summertime) So my build had to be "old ironsides". 

So my question for everyone is...

what are everyones thoughts on the Revell 1/96 Scale of the USS Constitution?  I figure this is a challenging build, and from the pictures ive seen from other model builders can turn into a beautiful piece.  Ive been inspired to do this, but i want to make sure im not in over my head.  This is what im leaning towards getting soon.  Good recommendation? or does someone else have another suggestion.

I'd say go for it.  You've got a big thing going for you.... motivation.  So, take your time, don't rush building it.  Add as much or as little detailing as you like.  Search the build logs for plastic and you be amazed at what can be done.  Do this before even starting the kit.  As questions of the other builders, and that includes the non-Constitution builds.  Then start a build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Revell Kit is quite old, but with a lot of substance to create a very beautyful model. One problem of every plastic kit is the thiknee of the side, which is to small. Have look in the beautyful build log of dafi's HMS Victory, to see what is possible with an plastik kit.

Have a lot of fun during your build.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The Revell Connie is an old kit.  I built her years ago when I still had hair.  If you follow the instructions and ask the right questions you can make a masterpiece.  The model is a fun kit to build. Go for it.

David B

• 5 weeks later...

Its a great kit and I wish I had one. But expect to spend a lot of time. Be aware also that there are smaller plastic kits of Constitution out there that are less expensive, smaller and which will go together faster. A lot of the ones I see have pretty poor details but its a trade off for speed of construction. It may not be a bad idea to buy a small one and throw it together with no intention of displaying it, just to see if you enjoy the process. Its a bit different than building aircraft kits. You will only be out twenty dollars or so and a few nights of construction. The large model you have will present a challenge to glue together and then a whole new world of rigging the ship will await you after the plastic parts are together.I don't want to put you off the big Constitution model though, its a great kit

Niagara USS Constitution 

• 4 months later...

the revell kit can be bought on amazon for $55 or so. if you do aircraft models and want to try a tall ship with rigging give it a shot. its not a weeks pay invested if you mess it up like a wooden kit. just keep in mind the molds are pretty old and there is flash and injection marks. take as long as you want two weeks or two years.  look at force9's build log (or any of the terrific logs for that matter)

Great choice. I have built this kit 3 times. One fully sailed, with the plastic sails included in the kit, one without sails and one with furled (fabric) sails. In every case I modified the kit by putting real shrouds and aftermarket purchased deadeyes.

Some people think that building a wooden ship is necessarily harder, but by my experience, the rigging in a plastic ship, being the same as in a wooden ship, is a bit harder to accomplish in plastic, because this is much more flexible than wood, and tensioning the lines properly is a big challenge.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

This is a great model.  It makes a great display piece with much less effort than it's wooden counterpart.  As pointed out, it is by no means easy.  I made one many years ago, before I got into wooden ship building.  I had it proudly displayed (without a case) until one of my cockatiels landed in the rigging and brought the whole thing crashing down.  :-( ...but I digress.  

If I were going to make it today, I would consider planking the deck, making wooden mast and yards, or reinforcing the existing plastic masts and yards, and using after market wooden blocks/deadeyes....and getting a case. 

Chuck

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 1 year later...

I've been wanting to build this kit for years. I finally pulled the trigger and found an earlier release on Ebay which arrived yesterday. I wanted an older kit because several build logs indicate that they are molded much sharper and cleaner. Mine was a US Bicentennial release and the box is dated 1974. I plan on building her with standing rigging and have downloaded the current instructions from Revell's website because they are much more detailed than the the instructions original to my kit, especially when it comes to rigging. I plan to accent the build with metal eyebolts, wooden blocks/deadeyes, and possibly an aftermarket wood veneer main deck. I also plan to replace the kit's figures with 15mm wargaming figures so that I can have the ship's Marine Detachment drilling on deck!

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

:piratebo5:Tom  :piratebo5:

Current Builds:

1. Revell's 1/96 USS Constitution 

2. Model Shipways 1/64 Niagara 

• 1 year later...

It's a great kit, brings back memories for me as I built 2 of them as a teenager. Someday I'd like to go "all out" on one, especially now that you can get photoetch details and 1 piece wooden decks for that kit.

Hey...I know this thread is very "long in the tooth", but does anyone know from whom and where photo etch sets are available for the 1:96 USS Revell Constitution? I have searched, but cannot find a source. Maybe they have gone defunct by now?

Regards

Craig

Craig,

If you can't find a set, you might take a look at Dafi's (Daniel's) set for the 1:100 Victory.  Many of those parts are common parts and the scale is close enough they should work with no fuss and no muss.    http://www.dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here's some info on the wooden deck: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=152919

I cannot find the PE I mentioned back then, it was a cottage company but I can't remember which and I don't know if it's still available. Plenty of the HMS Victory PE could be adapted for use though, as mentioned.

• 9 months later...

kmgreene - Being my 1st sailing ship build, I went with Revell's 1:96 USS Constitution to get my hands 'wet' in rigging, knots and terminology before I invest big money in a wooden model. I've followed some builds by Force9 & Captain Isaac Hull, as well as J Brent youtube 'how to' vids and purchased two books; Anatomy of the Ship: The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constituion and Rigging Period Ship Models as reference material. So far, I am very happy with my choice on this model and, to the best of my ability, I'm building her as the 1812 version. I ordered some nice line from Cottage Industry Models, metal eye bolts, included the 'camboose' on gun deck and purchased some barrels from Modelers Central. In closing, I'm really pleased with this kit and I think you will be to! Best to you and your project!

Robert O

• 5 months later...

I agree that it is a great kit. This may sound simplistic but do read all of the instructions through at least twice. If you follow them in strict order you will find the rigging more difficult because some areas will be nearly impossible to reach. The instructions regarding the building of the masts do not make it clear as to the correct positioning of the blocks. Good move on not using the kit supplied rigging line. Too much "memory". Good luck & enjoy.