Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Le Soleil Royal by garym - Mantua -

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationCitrus Heights, California, USA

The English translation is The Royal Sun. The ports were evenly spaced based upon the model in the Louve and Heller's plastic model (seems reseached well). The kit was not designed for this and I modified it to make it work. This is the stage after 400 hours.

Attached Files

Edited by garym, 28 February 2013 - 10:18 PM.

• avsjerome2003 likes this

GaryM

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Happy modeling.

Current build: Mantua Sovereign of the Seas

In que: Mantua Cutty Sark

Awaiting parts sheet correction diagrams: Billings Titanic

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

This is a thinking person ship and the instruction sequence will have you cover items that have not been installed yet. You have to look and modify the order of construction. Everything is there to create the vessel, but the instruction should be viewed as a parts list and stage assembly item a particular stage of construction. Most kit grates are oversized. The spaces should be 2 1/2 inches or less so I replaced these. At this stage there are over 2400 piece and 700 hours of construction time.

Attached Files

• avsjerome2003 and Craigie65 like this

GaryM

Happy modeling.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

The plans have an incorect number of cannon ports. They should have only 14 on each of the three full rows and should slope to the center by 8% forming a flattened V. I do like this version since the cannons do not shot through the filigree or raiiing which was the important part for the king.

Several decorations do not agree with the other versions. Some are reasonable simplifications and others add to the ship's appearence. All the side ornamentation for the inside gallery walls is not included. Several of the batch parts do not fit properly becaus of all the curves, angles and varing heights.

Their plans have several inconsistencies and you have to determine which dimensions are correct. In some cases, II had to use the other versions to see which was probably correct.

Attached Files

Edited by garym, 01 March 2013 - 12:36 AM.

GaryM

Happy modeling.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

At this stage, I had 940 hours construction time and used over 3400 pieces.

Museum Quality

The more I looked at the ship, the more it did not seem right. The side angle I has on the stern was 14 degrees and the museum was 10. The side three decks on the museum was 8 degrees and Mantua showed about 30. I had mine at 10 degrees. My last cannon on the main deck was still about 12 mm to low when compared to the museum. I had sent and got pictures taken of the Louve model and had them send them to me. Checking further, I found the middle of the main gun deck was low also. By the time I got to the front of the forecastle, I found it was 15 mm too low. This expains why the last deck at the stern had such a strong rake that it would seem impossible to walk on during a storm.

There is also two version of the trim on the back. I chose the one that seemed logical and best fit my kit.

What does all this mean? Because of the casting quality and supurb details of this kit, it is a museum quality model but it is not museum worthy, no matter how good of a job is done. It still makes a very nice simulation and makes a marvelous model to be proud of.

Other discrepancies

The rope x decorations are located incorrectly and there is not enough of them. The fleur de lis are incorrectly cast and there is not enough of them. They do not show any for cannon port lids. Insufficient quantity of trim supplied. The cannon port door for the back are 12 by 12 or 12 by 15 mm. Mantua says to make them 12 by 20 mm. Only 5 and 7 mm deadyes are included. they show the 5 mm used on most of the ship 7 mm for the lower masts. Only the lower main shrouds should have 7 mm and only the lower fore and mizzen shrouds should use 5 mm. All the rest would be smaller. One style showed heart shaped deadeyes which were discounted in the previous century. The rigging will require several sizes of line and not the big stuff supplied. The blocks are limited and not enough sizes. More of this will bediscussed as the rigging is done.

Attached Files

• avsjerome2003 and cristikc like this

GaryM

Happy modeling.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

Further progress.

Attached Files

• avsjerome2003 and Aussie048 like this

GaryM

Happy modeling.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

Deck and ornamentation done except for some that would be in the way of rigging.

Attached Files

• avsjerome2003 and Aussie048 like this

GaryM

Happy modeling.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

Mantua incorrectly shows woolings under the fish and cheeks and says to use .5 mm rope. The woolings are only 1" rope so I used .1 mm. They also show wooling on the missen mast. These first appeared over 60 years later than the ship was constructed. There is over 4,100 pieces on 1,050 hours of construction time at this stage.

Attached Files

GaryM

Happy modeling.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

The rule for deadeye is: The diameter of the deadeye is equal to 1/2 the size of the visible maximum mast diameter.it is associated with. If that size is not available, one source said to round up and another said to round down to the next size. My interputation of this is lower deadeye are rounded up and others are rounded down. The main mast is 12 mm and the fore and missen are 10. Using this rule, the channels deadeyes are: mainmast has nine 7 mm, two 4 mm and one 2.5 mm deadeye. Foremast has eight 5 mm, two 4 mm. Missen has six 5 mm.

At this stage I had over 1,150 hours and over 5,750 parts.

Attached Files

GaryM

Happy modeling.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

Many sizes of rigging line are used on this model. I calculated all the sizes and posted a table of the standard rigging sizes on the ships of scale site and will not repeat it here. When I get to the standard rigging, I will again calculate those sizes based on the information contained in Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Ze Mondfeld. I used rigging line as small as .08 mm but the size of serving line at this scale would be 1/20 this size. Thus, the ends of ratlines, etc will not be served.

The English used dead-eyes to rig the lower stays. Other nations used triple blocks with a six part purchase. The main stay was rigged and passed on the starboard side of the foremast.

At the time the ship was constructed, the futtock staves were rope. The futtock shrouds would come down and wrapped around the lower shroud and got seized twice below the stave. The distance the stave was mounted below the platform was equal to the distance from the top of the platform  to the bottom of the mast cap. Crowsfeet came into use about 1660. The euphroe was attached to the stay with a simple tackle. Only the main and foremast had these. The main stay was held in place on the bowsprit like gammoning.

At this stage, I had 1,300 hours invested in the model and have used 12 different sizes of rigging line.

Attached Files

Edited by garym, 24 September 2014 - 06:26 PM.

• avsjerome2003, janos, maggsl_01 and 1 other like this

GaryM

Happy modeling.

Brian C

Brian C

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Congratulations on tackling a very ambitious model. That will be a real show piece when finished. 

Royal William.

H.M.S Royal William     http://modelshipworl...del-by-brian-c/

H.M.Y Fubbs scratch built.

http://modelshipworl...fubbs/?hl=fubbs

Bismarck 1-200-
http://modelshipworl...-amati-brian-c/

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

Thanks Brian. It has been a challenge, but I agree she will be worth it.

GaryM

Happy modeling.

mtaylor

mtaylor

• Moderators
  • 7,510 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Nice work Gary.  Great to see this ship here.

garym

garym

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 321 posts

Thanks Mark.

GaryM

Happy modeling.

Dave B

Dave B

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationColumbia, Missouri

Looks really nice Gary!  I also like how you document the hours of time spent and number of parts and various other data along the way.  Thanks very much for the help you gave me with my question about some of the fittings you used!

Dave B

Dave Barnard

Current build: Niagara (Model Shipways)

Completed builds:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (LSS)

Tim C

Tim C

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationHudson, Florida USA

You have put a lot of hard work into and done a lot of changes for the better. Its looking good.Enjoy.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.