What was done before part 1:
The development of the hull:
Edited by Michiel, 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.
Jump to content
from here the log continues, but I'll keep updating this post with new side views:
4. march 2013:
november 1st 2013:
Edited by Michiel, 01 November 2013 - 11:29 AM.
What was done before part 3:
some more details shots:
batteries and switch for the lighting
just before painting...
Edited by Michiel, 16 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.
Reposting has not tarnished this at all. It's a wonderful build.
The underwaterschip is now painted:
I see now on the picture that some corrections are still in order :mellow:
and the first work on the second gundeck:
We just had a many page discussion on the schaarstokken... including comments from Ab,
But I think your right in all drawings of pinas's they do, the thing is that the hatch is rather large here, I stick to Ketting and with the batteries there I can't make it smaller. The distance between the main schaarstokken is now ~7 feet, and with that is fits nicely around the other hatches and the anker spill. So it's a bit of a compromise..
The nails in the hull (cherry planks) are made from chestnut thorns
I drill 0.5 mm holes, then I pull a thorn from a shell a dip it in some glue and stick it in. When it's dry I cut most of with a small pair of scissors and than sand it further. Finally a scrape the entire section and apply danish oil. For the deck planks I find the thorns to dark and I just use tooth picks, without any further processing, just pushing them in so that they fill the 0.5mm hole. Again after oiling you get a very nice contrast due to the grain direction difference.
The planks I make black on the sides with shoe polish from a tube with sponge, (the sponge is attached to the tube). You get the best result if you sand the side just a bit as well, especially the short sides. The shoe polish is instantly sufficiently dry and does not get into the wood. The sanding does fill the space between the planks a bit which may seem to diminish the effect. However, after applying the oil they come out nicely again (not if you apply a lacker though! then the sand dust stays in there and makes the effort in vain.). Obviously for a bit more historically correct color you could use a dark brown polish...
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users