The scale of Santisima Trinidad is 1/72. The box on the top is originally reinforcement of the hull during building but Nigel Brook notify me on this forum that it would be also great for putting it upside down as you wrote so in production version I will make it little higher for this purpose ;)

Daniel

A 40mm block under the front of the jig on the Nuestra when upside down on a flat surface makes the keel horizontal ;) The hull is perfectly true to the surface then,making marking everything out like wales etc easy :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Kevin Omland from Oyster Bay, NY USA sent us photo of building stave church Gol in 1/87 scale with some notes from building.

Although its not ship model i think it is very nice work, if you are interested you can see it here:

http://dusekshipkits.com/stave-church-gol1

Best regards

Daniel Dusek

post-16720-0-93609700-1448390052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel Dusek

Ahhh, the joys of Christmas.....did I understand correctly that the Canadian Dollar is being accepted at par with the Euro??? :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:   ... hope your sale goes well Daniel ........

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I couldn,t resist Daniel,s sale so ordered the Santa Maria and a couple of longboats for my Vic , they arrived inside a week . With the present exchange rate and the 30% sale this is a real bargain for anyone from the UK .  Thanks Daniel .

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I made some progress on Santisima Trinidad. Last week I finish second layer of planking on 3D model. In this kit all planks (both first and second layers) will be cut by laser for as easy as possible assembly. I hope I will be able to post some photos of prototype before the end of year.

Best regards

Daniel

post-16720-0-96467500-1450020125_thumb.jpg

post-16720-0-61160700-1450020126_thumb.jpg

post-16720-0-52898800-1450020135_thumb.jpg

post-16720-0-99786900-1450020150_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel Dusek

Interesting concept on laser cutting the planks.   That has to be a lot of planks. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It will be interesting to see how well laser cut planking works. The char on the edge would work well as caulking for deck planking. I suppose for the hull you'll be using a dark wood so that won't be an issue (I'd hate to have to sand it all off).

All the best.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Hi Daniel . Your idea of the precut planks at first seemed a great solution but in my mind could present a few problems . Firstly unless the hull is built exactly right , square ,in line , level , surely any small variations could potentionaly cause problems with the fitting of preshaped planks . Even the variations from fairing or cutting a bearding line can change the run of planks slightly and surely once one is off they all are ?. Secondly many including myself  enjoy the actual process of shaping planking to there own design and may feel restricted in having to follow such strict rules . I know and understand many would welcome the simplification of this process but to me it  feels a bit restrictive,  

Forgive me  for voicing my opinion as you know more about shipbuilding than i ever will ,but i felt it was a point worth raising and would be interested to know now other members feel . I suppose it,s a case of it will work for some and not for others . Again i do not mean this as a critisism of what is a great idea and am simply expressing my humble opinion, perhaps you have already allowed for such variations and found a way to avoid them ,or simply offer the kit with or without the laser cut option .

Respectfully

Boyd 

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your comments. 

Richard, the planks on the deck will be engraved, and it look similar like the caulking as you wrote, you can see it for example on my model of Nuestra Senora (picture below). Actually also the planks of the hull was caulked similar like decks, it is visible for example on Batavia ship:

https://gretavanderrol.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/bowsprit-crop.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/20110417_Lelystad%3B_Batavia_Haven_12_ship_at_Batavia_Harbour.JPG

I use pear wood for the second planking as it is the best possible material for that, it is not dark but very easy for staining (The model of Dutch yacht in this thread is also planked by pear wood and then stained into darker tone). So for this reason I do not think it is need to sand all the char. And I prefer to make the model colored so in that case there is absolutely no problem with the char.

Boyd, you are right that any variation of shape could lead to problem with exact fitting of planks but I think these problems could be only on the hull under the waterline due to quite simple shape above the waterline but the hull under waterline should be copper sheathing, so there is no problem to use putty. 

Anyway, there will be no problem to offer standard wooden strips instead of second laser planking ;).

Best regards

Daniel

post-16720-0-40769600-1450032895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel Dusek

Dunno how I missed this Daniel :D  :rolleyes: The 3d render of the model looks superb :wub:  :wub: Top marks for going with Pear for the planking B)  B)  B)  B) I do hear where Boyd is coming from though.Whilst your bulkhead system guarantees an accurate framework,there are the variables of fairing and sanding of the first ply layer.Don't get me wrong,I REALLY like the idea of the prespilled Pear planks,I hope it works out.

One thing,if I may suggest.What I found when skinning the upper half of Nuestra Senora is that some marks on the bulkheads for where the joins of the ply patterns fall would make things more foolproof.If possible,could these be laser etched on the bulkheads during the cutting process?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

Acually I use exactly what you recommend-the marks on the frames for exact positions of the more important plans (planks with gun ports). The planking will be done in three steps:

1) red planks (around gun ports)

2) blue planks -these planks could be adjust or fill if it is need, because they will be not visible (planks under wales)

3) wales-black planks, the wales overlap the blue planks as it is shown in the picture

This system should guarantee exact planking above the waterline. 

Daniel

post-16720-0-94507500-1450036380_thumb.jpg

post-16720-0-94692400-1450036391_thumb.jpg

post-16720-0-27375400-1450036401_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel Dusek

Mr. Dusek, 

I think the Dutch Statenyacht pictures are great.

Now that you have triremes, 3-deckers and 3d printers under control -- time for the Peregrine Galley?

It has oars, sails and gingerbread galore!

And please make it large.

Ed Saur

Excellent Daniel B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B) I assume you plan on including the copper tiles.The more and more I see of your design,the more excited I become.A bit like a kid in a sweet shop,but I am 43 years of age :D  :D .

This is going to be an awesome kit!!

Kind Regard

Nigel

Dang! I will have to throw away my present stash of kits and concentrate the rest of my life to build David's Santísima and Chris' Victory.

Any of these guys has plans for a Sovereign of the Seas and a Soleil Royale?  ;) (My other dream ships, by the way)

:D  :D  :D

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thanks Guys,

Nigel-Yes, I plan to make also copper tiles. 

Ed Saur, Ulises Victoria-At this moment it is hard to write what models will be next, it also depend on quality of sources (mainly quality of plans), but I would like to do De Zeven provinzien after the Santisima as I wrote earlier. But parallel to this big kits I everytime work also on some smaller projects (as Dutch statenyacht for example).

Daniel

Hmmm... I guess any Stuart 6th Rate done large would be super.

Over the years, Model Shipwright has been flogging us mercilessly with many terrific,

but difficult to build, gilded beauties -- produced by master model makers.

And I imagine, but do not know, that they had good plans from English sources.

HMY Fubbs is also in the back of my mind now, but I have seen so many versions of it modeled,

that I wonder if it isn't the perfect example of the problem you have with plans.

In any event, I am looking forward to the Staten Yacht and the flogging to end --

my chance to build a really great 17th century model!

Apologies Daniel. Changed your name to David in my last post. Both names are exactly the same in Spanish. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!