US Brig Syren by kscadman - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - first wooden ship build

Hi everyone. Wow, what a change! 

Anyway, it looks like I need to start a new log so here it is.

I haven't been able to get much done as of late. I've managed to get the catheads &  headrails done. Unfortunately I didn't see the the plan view of the middle head rail before attaching it, so it's missing the angle. (I really need to look at these plans more carefully!!)post-629-0-95223400-1362249995.jpgpost-629-0-69159700-1362249997.jpgpost-629-0-18769000-1362249999_thumb.jpgpost-629-0-79277300-1362250000_thumb.jpgpost-629-0-40833900-1362250002_thumb.jpg   

Also here's my first question:

According to the instructions the bumpkin is to be made from 1/16" round dowel but the stock I have is very flimsy and I don't believe it will hold up without bending when I attach the rigging. Should I use a bigger dowel?

And I just want to say - Its good to be back - I have lots of catching up to do on everyone's build logs.

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

No dont use a bigger dowel.  It will look way out of scale.  The opposing tensions on that dowel by the rigging will hold it in place.  Wait toil you make the topgallnt masts.   Talk about flimsy.  You must work on the tensions to make sure the wood doesnt bend the while rigging.

Everything looks great.  Fantastic job on the headrails.

Chuck

Hey Richard----- glad to have you back home!!!!!!  The Syren fleet is coming back to strength!!  Take your time catching up.  You've got a great build going.

I went with the 1/16" dowel and haven't managed to knock it off yet....but I've yet to attach the rigging.  Between pinning it with the wire and the added support where it hits the headrail I think it will be ok.  The next size up is 3/32 and that's pretty hefty, but it could work.  There's an awful lot of 'stuff' running through that area when you get down the line.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Its good to be back Augie. And yes I do plan on taking it slow catching up, but I have to admit I feel like to lone supply ship plodding along behind the fleet. lol. Did your 1/16" dowel have alot of "play" to it before you made your bumpkins? I'm wondering if I should try to get a new piece of stock.

Chuck, thank you for the advise. I'm just worried about "bowing" or even breaking the bumpkin when I do the rigging. I see how the fore tack attaches to the fore course yard clew line and the fore sheet line. But I'm not seeing any lines acting as "counter tension". Am I guessing right in thinking its going to be trial & error to get the proper tension?

Richard

There's always the chance you have a bad dowel.  Mine didn't have an unusual amount of flex.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hey Richard, good to have you back! Your head rail really looks great! And talking about the lonely supply ship . . . well, it looks to me like I am plotting along in your wake   :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Hi Thomas and thanks, its always good to have a little humor shot across m' bow. I'll throw you a tow rope and maybe we can get caught up with the fleet.

Augie, I think I may have a bad dowel. i'm going to work with what I have and see what happens. If it doesnt work, then I'll go get another dowel.

But in the mean time, I've finished the head rails and I'm working on fitting the figurehead while making the bumpkins. I've thought about putting some color to my figurehead, but I'm not really sure. It seems that most all figureheads on HMS ships are quite colorful. But I'm learning that most of the U.S. fleet ships either went with the wood color (natural) or white.

Richard

post-629-0-00572400-1362541663.jpg

post-629-0-58502400-1362541664.jpg

post-629-0-03609800-1362541666.jpg

post-629-0-60551400-1362541667.jpg

post-629-0-14292000-1362541669.jpg

That is one nice, straight set of headrails.  VERY nice.

Hey, no whining about where you 'are' in the fleet.  You set your pace.

Will be watching to see how you do your figurehead.  Mine's all brass.......... I'm Italian :D  :D :D  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie, I promise - no whining! - unless its good, red, and in a glass. And yes I'm setting my own pace but, (ok, one last whine) I want it now! lol.

Hi Thomas & David - Thanks for the compliments

I'm starting my carronades, and inboard bulwarks but I ran into a problem and I'm curious to know if anyone has had the same. When I examined the carronade lug brackets, none of them were intact (usable). I've ordered replacements, but has anyone taken an alternate approach?

Also I've decided to get this chapter done before I install the bumpkins. I'm just a little too worried about being a bumpkin and breaking them off while working on the deck.

Richard

Gee, Richard, that lug problem is a new one on me.  I have the 'old' ones and they came mostly without holes drilled for the elevation screws.

But I've heard there are newly designed carronades as many people complained about the overall width and quality of the carronades.  So hopefully you'll get yours from the new casting.  Let us know how you make out.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'll let you know. I was surprised that they tried to laser cut something so small. I had to use my "special" glasses just to see them.

Edited by kscadman

Hi Richard

Your progress looks great so far. As far as heading up the rear - That is my domain. I am still in chapter 3 on gun port framing - I am taking a small break whilst I get my RC fleet ready for the summer, but will soon put my shipwright hat back on

Joe

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, I finally have a chance to work on my Syren. 

I've completed putting the figurehead on which was an adventure in itself.I ended up breaking the lower cheeks off while fitting the figurehead. Also I've been able to get the swivel brackets, pinrails and cleats installed. Now I'm working on my carronades. Two are done and fitted. 

post-629-0-63688200-1376692636_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-56227700-1376692640_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-38329800-1376692642_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-77747100-1376692643_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-77949200-1376692644_thumb.jpg

She looks very........realistic!

Welcome back.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie.

Hey. Gotta find a way to keep the sailors entertained!

By the way, your Syren looks FANTASTIC!. I tried to keep up with the posts as much as I could. So did you ever decide which ship is going to grace your bench?

Its good to be back,

Richard

Edited by kscadman

Thanks for the complement.  I'm very happy with her.  But I'll tell you right now, yours will be even nicer.  I don't have that 'crispness' yet like you do.

After changing my mind 6 times, I'm going with Confederacy.  No room around here to display another fully rigged ship at this point and, although the new Essex was very tempting, I'm happy to be staying with the 1:64 scale at this point.

Keep up the great work on your lady.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ahhh, the Confederacy. That will be a nice one. I look forward to your build log when the time comes. (I hope, I hope). And honestly, I see a lot of "crispness" with your Syren.

I agree, 1/64 scale is a good one to work with. I don't think I could handle smaller blocks than what I'm working with. 

Something I've noticed while I've been working on the carronades is that the ones I have don't look the same as whats in the instructions and with some of the other build logs I've looked at. I may need to check with Chuck on this one. Either way, onward with arming my ship.

Richard

What you are probably seeing are more rounded off blocks then those supplied by ME in the kit.  That rounding can be done by hand sanding (tedious on blocks smaller then 1/8) or by using a block tumbler.  ME actually sells a tumbler.  It's just a drum lined with sandpaper.  Some folks here design their own.  Gjdale has a great tutorial on building one in his Victory log.

Chuck also sells blocks on his Syren Company website.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, thanks for the hint on the block tumbler. But I was able to get the model shipways version pretty cheap at the local hobby store. (it had been sitting on the shelf for a while). I'll be trying it this week and if I dont like the results I'll look into making Gjdale's version.

Hello Richard, welcome back! Your Syren looks great! I will closely look at your head rail to see how that part needs to be done  :)

Thomas

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Hi Thomas, and thanks. One thing I will say as you look at my head rails is that I didn't put the curvature on the middle rail as outlined on sheet 4. I really need to look closer at the drawings. But at least I gave it the desired effect.

Richard 

Richard, I forgot to applaud you on your figure head. She looks very good! And you even managed to give her a nice face! At that scale this is not easy at all. The few attempts I tried so far always ended resembling the devil's grandmother  :D

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, I did put some time into getting her right. I heard somewhere that the figurehead is special to the ship. It may be a superstition, but sailors always have been a superstitious lot.

I'll make a deal with you - i'll get your syren looking good if you make me a pair of quartergalleries. :D  It hasnt been working out too well, but I'll get them eventually.

Richard 

Ah, its good to see some progress. I've completed 8 of my carronades and now its time to finish the the 2nd half of them. They're dry fitted for now, but its nice to see something occupying the deck.

I still think I have the wrong carronades but I'll work with what I have. Also I'll probably rig them as I do final installation - lessen the risk of breakage, lol.

Richard

post-629-0-92832400-1377139927_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-40218800-1377139929_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-93726200-1377139930_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-44131100-1377139932_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-91872800-1377139933_thumb.jpg

She's showing her teeth :)  :) 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie, Gahm, and Dirk.

Gahm, I really value you compliment. I've seen your carrronades and wish mine matched your standard.

Dirk, thank you for the compliments and I don't mind opinions, I welcome them, it helps me to be a better modeler. I agree, I think my castings came from a different lot. 

Personally, its about time that she's starting to look like a warship. Now on to cleaning up the other carronade castings and getting them installed. 

Augie, now that you've finished yours its time for you to enjoy watching the rest of us finish ours. I like the "teeth" remark. 

cheers,

Richard

Eight more carronades and 2 long cannon to go!  You're going to love how that deck fills out over the next few weeks.  ENJOY!

Oh, I've had one of those ME tumblers sitting on the bench for 3 months.  Haven't tried it yet but I will prior to the next project.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976