I have seen a number of boxwood types including Costello, European and others.  Which type is preferred for modeling ships?

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi all

may I ask if anyone ever saw a boxwood colored like the one in the picture (the one below, above is another type)? The yellowish colour is so intense that it's not convincing me...

Thank you

Fam

post-849-0-82133700-1418738865_thumb.jpg

Joint building:

Brick de 24, 1/48, jointly with Jack Aubrey (POB from Ancre plans)

Works in progress:

USS Constitution Cross Section, 1:93 (POF bashed from Mamoli kit)

Completed models:

Santìsima Trinidad, 1/90 (POB heavily modified DeAgostini kit)

Genoan Pinco, 1/50 (POB bashed from Euromodel plans - my current avatar)

Viking Knarr, 1/72 (POF from Dusek kit)

The traditional boxwood is buxus sempivirens.  It is the ornimental shrub often seen in formal gardens.  It is slow growing, 30 foot tall and 8 inch dia would be a rare find.  The wood is very hard, tight grained, very little contrast, and usually a light yellow.  Everything else is an attempt to cash in on the demand for something that is now hard to obtain.

Doing a trip back in imagination, the old guys were probably using the best wood they could get that was available.  The wood was probably sawed out of round stock using hand saws and hand planes. They were probably a minor market for cabinet makers and instrument makers. (rulers and such). If they had our selection, I wonder if they would be as limited in their choice of wood variety?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Richard,

From a practical standpoint (cost and availablity) I choose to use Castello ( Costello) for the bulk of the pieces that go into a model for the many good reasons given in a number of previous posts and topics.  I do prefer European boxwood for carvings.  Even small (2" diameter) logs can be used and two or three short pieces can last for  years.   The yellow will darken over time as will most of the woods used in our models. 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Fam:  I'm not sure that both of the woods labelled "boxwood" are really boxwood.  I suspect the uppermost piece is castello boxwood, virtually the only kind available readily these days.  The lower piece appears to be a different species.  From the looks of it, I would guess it is yellow heart (euxylophora paraensis).

Yellow heart is much yellower that boxwood.  I used it to plank the outer hull above the wales on my Armed Virginia sloop.  It would be a good choice for the yellow outer planking on HMS Victory also.  Here is a comparison of samples of the two woods (boxwood northeast, yellow heart southwest)

post-3900-0-75450500-1419085364_thumb.jpg

Dave

Edited by DocBlake