HMS TRITON cross section by Marius-Scale 1:48

Marius

Your build is looking great. I like your choice of the South African Yellowwood for the planking, it looks very good.

When I did my lower deck beams, I used Oak and soaked them in a bucket of hot water for over an hour and then let them dry for a couple of days. It worked out good for me. It held the camber nicely.

Here, where I live, we have a store called the "Dollar Store". That's where I go to buy by Exacto blades. El cheapo blades. Assorted blades and three handles all for a dollar. They work great and if they break, oh well, I just go and buy another set. Just thought I would mention it.   

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Thanks for the comment Ron.

I envy you the availability of tools etc. but it makes me more innovative and that is part of the hobby.

I am sure now that I was too much in a hurry and should have done a longer soaking. I will just have to live with it. Problem is that I have already bent the Gun deck beams the same way. If I try to correct them it will not look right

marius

HMS TRITON cross section marius

Looks good. On the camber you should overbend and give a considerable amount of time for the wood to dry - one of the reasons why I cut mine to shape - that way you are not worried about the bend changing.

Joss

Hi Marius,

Everything is looking very good. You may not have xacto blades but your wood is great.

One thing with doing the fake treenails, I’ve done the same. I’ve been told that you should

use a filler that dries hard. Some filler is firm to start and is wax like but never hardens.

Keep up the great work!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looks good. On the camber you should overbend and give a considerable amount of time for the wood to dry - one of the reasons why I cut mine to shape - that way you are not worried about the bend changing.

Joss

I had been wondering about cutting the beams to shape.   

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Thank you for the comments gentlemen.

Grant 

Embuya/embuia/imbuia is also called Brazilian walnut. Beautiful dense wood. With sharp tools on the lathe you do not need sandpaper. the bonus is the spicy smell emanating from it when you work the wood. It is a very dark chocolate brown. and was very popular as furniture wood  and used in combination with  with S. African Yellowwood. Sadly Embuia trees are among the threatened species

I know Yarrah. It was used extensively as railway sleepers  here. and you can buy the old sleepers as they are being replaced by concrete sleepers or just dug out by the scavenging hordes. Beautiful tables are made from these but unfortunately most of the sleepers have been treated with creosote (preservative) which discolors the wood. (Americans please note I spelled Discolors in American...learning the language LOL)

Joss

I agree  cutting to shape is the most accurate way. I read somewhere on the site about bending a wide plank to shape and only then cut the individual beams from the plank.

Rusty

I am going to try the fake treenails . Just have to get some dark filler when going to town( Living on a farm)

Paddy 

Had a look  at your build today . You are doing a very neat job. You seem to have a lot of patience which I unfortunately lack although I have plenty of time.

Everything is looking great, Marius. I'm using real treenails on this build, but I've used the fake ones with filler on other models. It works just fine. I would go with a filler that hardens and can be sanded.

Bob

Thanks Bob

I got myself some dark Brummer filler today. It is water based but sets hard.

Tried it and it seems to work fine.

Thanks Bob

I got myself some dark Brummer filler today. It is water based but sets hard.

Tried it and it seems to work fine.

Good to hear your on the move with the treenails already. I'll have to look for some of the hard setting the next time I make it across the river.

All I had on hand was a jar of the non-harding when I decided to give it a try.

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

• 2 months later...

Sorry I have been quiet  for quite a while for various reasons.. Have been busy though but could not record my progress,

Will try to upload tomorrow.

Question:   Where did the gun crew keep their  shot on deck? I do not see any cannon balls on any of the build logs.

marius

Hi Paddy

Full of mistakes but I am learning.

Used flattened electrical conduit wire for the brackets. Tried silver soldering with a blowpipe but gave it up. Eventually settled for soft solder and soldering iron. Seems to be holding up well. Epoxy did not work with te copper. CA seems to do the job.

Thr grating was un uphill battle. I eventually built a mini saw fro a CD Rom case and my Dremel ( Got he idea from Thanasis. After a few teething troubles I got a reasonable grating. Would like the grooves a shade wider but was limited to using 2 dremel blades.

The cannon is just fixed temporarily.

Getting close to the end of the build now and really enjoyed it. Might just tackle the full build.

marius

post-352-0-59928700-1375612343_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-20704500-1375612510_thumb.jpg

Marius,

You can see the mistakes but to me it looks pretty good.  Remember, this is a learning project and it looks like you've done very well.  Keep up the good work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Marius,

As Mark said we see a lot of things we don't like in our own builds.

I think you've done a great job on her! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks guys for the comments.

I just have to turn the gun barrelss and then I can finish.

Will most probably turn some casks to store in the hold just to make it interesting

marius

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is warts and all but it is mine.

I have decided to wait until I get a decent drawplate before doing any further trenailing. I do not like the results using filler.......very uneven

Sofar my search for it has not been very successfull.

I have learned so much during this build and it has given me a lot of confidence for future builds. Pure enjoyment

I will however carry on filling the hold with barrels and rope etc. and will post the results.

Thanks to everybody who contributed with advice and encouragement

Special thanks to the  team who made this project available to us. Very nice and clear drawings and It was free!!

That is very much appreciated by people living in countries like mine where the difference in exchange rates make dollar purchases of quality plans impossibly expensive and puts the hobby out of reach for a lot of us.

Here are some photos of what she looks like now. Please padon the quality of the fotos

post-352-0-82924300-1377928295_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-51976500-1377928327_thumb.jpg

post-352-0-27338000-1377928362_thumb.jpg

Hello Marius.

You have made a splendid job of this cross section.

With out major tooling to do fine work can be very time consuming and test your skills to the limits. Well done.

You Have produced a first class model :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Marius,

you've been busy the last few weeks, quite a bit has been done. Nearly finished, a good looking model. I not sure I understand you corectly, but if you are looking for a decent draw plate, the Byrnes (Model Machines) one is top quality. You have my sympathy with regards to exchange rates and shipping costs (we cop it here), but the article is well worth the expense.

Regards,

Grant.

Thanks guys . 

Grant:  The problem is that by the time the drawplate reaches S.A. It costs a fortune plus there is a good chance that it will disappear once it reaches our shores. 

It is so nice to sit in front of my desk looking at the triton and reading all the accolades. I really enjoyed this build. Nice plan.. nice support.

I have decide that I like the Triton so much that I am going for the full model.

One of the spin offs of this build is that it made me build tools and jigs which I will be able to use for future builds. 

Got to go and make a big fire now . We have an extremely wet and cold spell here in the western Cape in South Africa. Keeps me out of the workshop. Summer will be wit us soon though.

Good luck with your projects .

Marius

Marius

Congratulations on a job well done. I can only hope that mine will turn out half as good as yours.  :cheers:

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

• 2 months later...