Introductory Book?

PopJack

I've been thinking about trying my hand at an RC boat.  A tug- not a speed boat.

Problem is, I am completely ignorant of where to start- from hull sealing to hull penetrations for the prop shaft. 

Is there a book that I could read to get into this? 

My google searches are not being productive.

Thanks

I have to agree about the R C forum but a book for beginning I like this one.

"Working scale model Merchant Ships"  by Tom Gorman  Published by Naval Institute Press.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=working+scale+model+merchant+ships

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Popjack...

There are plenty of books on radio control and build, they all have their own slant to method.

It might be a first call to see how others are building on Youtube and have a think on ....

plank on frame or moulded hull...!

Some build from scratch,, a set of plans and build as you go, working out when to put the prop shaft in and when to seal the hull for water proofing.

I read an article in the magazine Model Boats on how to build a 1930 Australian Tug boat, got the plans and set about the build...

Twelve months later it is still under construction.

Hope this has been of some help,

Ian

Yes, RC and scale can go together.  When I was with the Indy Admirals RC Club in Indianapolis they would have an annual get together of RC’ers from all over the country.  One of the competitions was the best detailed scale boat.  There are some fine boats out there. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I list a number of R/C and model ship books at my blog (an Amazon list actually):

http://astore.amazon.com/modelmarine-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=4

John Cox's book is my number one recommendation if you want just one R/C beginner's book, readily available through Amazon and Traplet pubs.

BTW, I also hang out and contribute heavily at RC Groups (Boats)... there is even a section dedicated to "Scale Sail".

We model FUNCTION as well as FORM!  If your ship doesn't move or get wet, you've left out a major part of the model, eh? 

Edited by Pat Matthews

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

• 5 months later...

There is/was a special interest book titled Radio Control in Model Boats 4th ed by John Cundell. Published by

"Special Interest Model Books ltd"

PO Box 327 Poole Dorset

BH15 2RG.

ISBN 978-1-85486-231-0

The book itself is dated published in 1988