Thinking Things Through - French Frigates

mtaylor

Tim,

I have never heard of any US location other than used copies, but maybe some one else knows otherwise.  On the bright side, the $US has gone from about $1.57 in May 2008 to the Euro $1.08 lowering the prices by 30%.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Did you get to the bottom of your measurement discussion?

The translator of the Boudriot '74 Gun Ship', in a marginal note, explains some of that, and Boudriot used pre-revolution measurements, which is also explained.

Makes sense, deuxieme, troisieme, though I've only seen it as eme.  Obviously some holes in my education.

There was an American source for Ancre publications, but he dropped that line.  You'll have to go used or try Ancre from France.

Joel,

I discovered that... I had figured out that measurements in mm are actual where as the xxx/100 type requires conversion as that is in pieds/ligne (the French measurements).   I'm working my way through the 74-gun Ship series even though it doesn't necessarily apply to frigates.

Tim,

Other than used (and one person's "good" condition is another persons "junk"), ANCRE is the way to get them.  Also Delacroix sells his books on his website.  The exchange rate isn't a killer and shipping from France to the US isn't bad.  Just don't ship books from the US to France...YIKES!!!!!.   And the shipping time is reasonable.

I do have a copy of Le Venus in English that I'm probably going to part with.... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the example.

3 inches 6 lines 195/100e

I really do not know the answer, are these 2 values the same thing, is the unit of 195 represented in 1/100?

The image you attached is instructive.  Note that 1 inch 2 lines (65/100) is exactly 1/3 of 3 inch 6 lines (195/100) - whatever the "decimal" figure represents, it is directly proportional to the standard units.  A little clever math should reveal what the 100 is.

• 1 year later...

MTaylor, I have "Belle Poule" in English, if you have any doubts about the French version, I can try to answer them.  The English version is limited stock now IIRC.

Thanks for the offer.  I did get the ANCRE English version of Belle Poule when it was released late last year.   It's been a big help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)