Question on how to curve metal figures?

I'm building my first ship called the Frederich Wilhelm from a kit I bought 33 years ago. It is a wooden planked hull ship that requires a bulge on both sides near the back where the captain can look out a window. This bulge is rounded and looking at photos on the internet, the figurines on this bulge appear curved backwards to conform to the curvature of the bulge. I have the figurines in my kit but they are straight. I don't know what kind of metal they are but they are bronze in color. How should I go about bending them. Thanks Tom

Thanks for taking my question. When I scrapped off a little of the paint on the backside, the metal appears very shiny like maybe zinc. The piece feels very light but rigid like it would snap if I were to try to bend it with a pliers. The paint was hard to scrape off, like it was electrode-stacitcly applied or some process like that.  I'm concerned if I was to heat it up with my homedepot Bernomatic torch, the paint would discolor, which is why I'm reaching out before I attempt anything.

Tom

tbrix, sounds like you have the Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm. If it is cast out of the same metal as Royal William (and it probably is), the heat from your fingers should be enough to make it bend. If not, gently warm it over a candle. 

The metal castings in my kit bend quite easily. To make it conform to the shape that you want, place the casting on it and gently push it into shape with your fingers. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

If it is soft enough to bend, always bend it over a shaped form as Keith suggests. The metal probably has a low melting point, so be very careful about heating it! Good luck with the project.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Yes the ship kit was made in Italy and I'm glad I asked first, I would definitely have messed it up with my torch. Mr. Tadeusz if I run into issues, I'll need to follow up on your comment. It reads to me that I would need to acquire silicone (like in caulking tubes?) and resin ( don't know anything about resins) and then cast the piece, then bend it and paint it. With a little more information it sound doable, but for now I won't bother you for the details.

Thanks Guys.

Tom

How to make a cast resin mold: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-casting-and-resin-techniques.php

How to bend cast metal strips: http://www.euromodel-ship.com/eng/royal-william-i-i.php#axzz3T1B4ZkLP

- Open up "ROYAL W INT 02 V4" 

- Go to Page 30. This will show you how to bend the metal parts. 

But really, the method I suggested is the easiest. Just warm it up with your hands and push it over a support. It will bend very easily. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel