Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Swift by themadchemist - AL - 1:50 - The Dark Side of the Moon

• Please log in to reply
876 replies to this topic

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

Edited by themadchemist, 23 July 2015 - 02:44 PM.

• E&T, John E., ringbolt2013 and 1 other like this

philo426

philo426
  • Members
  • 581 posts

Yes I am working on the same kit.Should be a fun learning experience!

• John E. likes this

Adrieke

Adrieke
  • Members
  • 2,197 posts
  • LocationSydney

its a nice model to learn on  :)

are you plannin gon making sails for her as i beliee they are not included ?

• John E. and ringbolt2013 like this

achter elke traan van verdriet, zit een glimlach van herinnering

behind each tear of sadness, there is a smile of a memory

farewell my friend I ll miss you

Current build : OcCre Gorch Fock 1/95

Next build : AL HMB Endeavour 1/60

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : MMSD San Salvador (Card) 1:100

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

hircsailor

hircsailor
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWakiki, Hawaii
Welcome aboard themadchemist. I also just brought a AL Swift from ebay and it turns out to be a model from 1983, I learned this from the Model Expo material dated 1983 that was included in the kit. I look forward to following your progress and to pick up on any ideas that you may have. In one sense I am one step ahead of you and two step behind you; My kit came from an estate sale where the orignal owner started to build it and attached the frames and deck to the keel. Only trouble was that they didn't square the frames and keel. I beleive that it is frame #7 where the deck seperates and the frame is about 1/16" off center on one side. When the kit arrived the keel and aft deck behind frame #6 was broken off so I have to repaire that before I can really get started. I also have to let the kit air out as it smells a little musty from being in storage somewhere. While that happens I can finish building the T50 and T37 rc sailboats that I am building right now.
I plan on starting a building log when I get started working on it.

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA

Ahoy, Keith :piratetongueor4: !

It seems you are most assuredly enjoying this hobby!  Nice job so far - looking forward to how your shipyard superintendent and Al manage to cooperate - which, of course, is all relative anyway...

Enjoying both of your logs - nice work!

• John E. and ringbolt2013 like this

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,388 posts
  • LocationBiloxi, Mississippi

You can also use emory boards for fine sanding,especially on something like basswood. You can use it on anything thin enough as well.

So far, your hull is looking very good. Nice work.

Russ

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Al could desperately use that perm you got him....

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

hircsailor

hircsailor
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWakiki, Hawaii

Keith thanks for the idea on how to shape the stern blocks. I never would have thought of using a wood dowel with sand paper ca to it and using the two frames

as a guide to get the correct shape. I would have tried to shape it by hand and hopeing that I got it right.

I know what you mean about being housebound for days on end. Last summer I had my hip replaced then 7 weeks later had to have my knee replaced so I was

at the mercy of my wife to drive me around(sometimes she could be NURSE RATCHT) .

I will contune to follow your log to pick up more ideas as well as the other logs on the Swift. I'm not proud and will use any and all ideas to make my build

easier.

Jim

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,388 posts

I would not let the garboard stray much further forward than you show for the very reason you state. However, you might consider adding some thin fillers right along the edge of the keel to give you something to glue the planking to in that area.

Russ

• giantdog likes this

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,388 posts

More glue surface is never a bad idea. :)

Russ

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,388 posts

Ideally, no plank should ever come to a point. If you are spiling an edge and it leaves you with a pointed end, then chances are the curve is so great that you would need to cut the plank from a wider sheet of wood. Without seeing a pic, I cannot really tell much else.

Russ

slagoon

slagoon

• Moderators
  • 525 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Keith, yep coming from a technical background hehe It's pretty obvious. What Russ said is right, but at this point you'll have to make a decision...to plank the way the instructions in the kit tell you to OR to plank per the planking tutorial on here. Whichever you pick you'll need to stick with it for the duration. Also there are a few gotchas on this ship, as you may or may not have picked up from jarero's build. You really want to stop your topmost plank the correct distance from the top of the bulkheads...I think it was something like 3/32. Make sure, too, to plank both sides roughly at the same time - I think it looks like that is what you are working towards, but all your keel straightening will be for nothing if you plank one side completely before the other side.

Final comment for today, you may want to *think* about planking your deck while you have easy access to the edges. Later on you will have to cut to fit which may be more difficult than planking the deck and then just sanding the sides down. Totally up to you though, it just seemed to work well for my husband. 

Keep up the precise and accurate work (only a scientist would normally know why I used both words ;) ) and I'll keep an eye on what you're up to.

• trippwj likes this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Sarah
Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane
Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings
Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpg   HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

slagoon

slagoon

• Moderators
  • 525 posts

Keith, yeh planking the deck after you plank the sides the first time (but before the bulwarks) sounds like a good move. As to the 3mm distance, I think you are on the right track doing that plank towards the beginning. I think Jarero did the same thing as you were suggesting with 1 at the top, 1 halfway down, and 1 at the bottom and then filling in. 

Does this older version of the swift have material for a second planking? If so you have lots of leeway for making mistakes. As far as the clinking with the first plank, there shouldn't be too much as long as you are pushing that plank against the frame, and certainly no more than some sandpaper could handle.

Nope, wasn't in your class, I'm a mechanical engineer by my schooling...so I also know why a part that is 1" is much cheaper than a part that is 1.0000" hehe.  I figured based on your background you'd get it.

Keep it up and remember not to ruin the good china with your craft.

I know you love Pink Floyd and Pigs...did you know that because of your avatar (the pig) every time you write PF I think "pigs fly")hehehe 

take care

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Sarah
Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane
Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpg   HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

petehay

petehay
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR
Hey - those are the two that I bought also! I started the dinghy last night and as I've posted elsewhere I want to use it to practice an oil finish prior to starting my AL Virginia. Like you I also want to jump in on building the Lobster Smack along with Hexnut and DeeDee. Tonight I also proved to myself that I could upload a picture from my iPad which is my only web device at home so now I can do build logs. Looks like we're going down the same paths.
Pete

slagoon

slagoon

• Moderators
  • 525 posts

Yeh, the scuppers were cut out on Jared's ship for him, but one of the things you see a lot on these builds is people just drill a ton of little round holes and cut between them, file, and VOILA! they have a rectangle... so you should be fine.  Once he put the companionways on the deck you couldn't see the lower ones so you'll not really be missing anything without the lower deck.  I just noticed that the kits say "when precision matters" haha well I could precicely measure 1cm too long every time...wonder if they thought of that.

Anyway, cant wait to see these two little gems (and more work on your swift)

-Sarah
Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane
Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings

Completed Build:

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Well played, sir!  I hope that Al did not see you alter the measure of time in this manner....

Nice scavenging find - and the pedestals look neat!

Wayne

Epictetus

slagoon

slagoon

• Moderators
  • 525 posts

Nice work! I had a moment of pause trying to figure out what part of the clock the pedestals were from - duh, the decoration :) very cool.

-Sarah
Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane
Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings

Completed Build:

slagoon

slagoon

• Moderators
  • 525 posts

Either is perfectly acceptable. I prefer wood glue like the gorilla glue for wood where my husband uses CA exclusively (makes it nice that we don't argue over who gets the glue) I like that I have time to move the item around and I am patient enough to just clamp whatever it is and walk away for a bit. I just subscribed to the shipbuilding for dummies last week and he has a whole long list of pros and cons for each. Just remember that with either glue, you don't need loads of it, and both will dry faster with the less you use. The less you use the less chance of causing a problem with the finish as the less will squeeze out of what you are gluing.  It all comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with, This isn't like Highlander...there can be more than one.

Edited by slagoon, 12 March 2013 - 01:58 AM.

• FKarl likes this

-Sarah
Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane
Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings

Completed Build:

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,388 posts

The filler blocks look good. They need not be that large, but they will do. The main thing is to provide a solid landing in that area.

The deck looks pretty good. Just make sure there are no ugly humps along the length of the deck. That will make deck planking somewhat easier.

Russ

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,388 posts

In many kits, and the older ones in particular, it is fairly common to get some planking that is a bit odd here and there. They were going for the best bottom line.

In fitting the lower hull planks, spiled edges, bending, and twisting are usually part of the process.

Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.