Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Swift by themadchemist - AL - 1:50 - The Dock Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd custom build

• Please log in to reply
1555 replies to this topic

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationJohnston City, Illinois

00 - The Kit - Artesania Latina - Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805

Greetings to MSW 2.0,

As I embark on a second attempt at a wooden kit, but this time I've stepped up the kit from a canoe to something with sails and rigging. Ive noticed the Swift 1805 models are quite common on ebay, which is where I found this one. Upon ordering I didn't realize that the kit had been upgraded/modified, but at the price I paid I cant really complain.

As I was in the built of the peterboro canoe when the kit arrived I only gave it a quick run through for completeness. I then later before prebuild did a complete inventory and found all part present and accounted for, so off to the dry docks she going.

I'm sure many pictures of this kit abound but I find it interesting that of  the 8 pages of instructions (pictured) there is really only 4 1/2 pages of actual instructions once the introduction and parts list are deducted. Hopefully The newer version has improvements in this area, but then figuring things out can be almost as much fun as having everything spelled out for you.

Again, as with the Peterboro, I chose this kit as a tutorial. It shold give me experience with a double planking and rigging before I attemt a larger more intricate kit (ie one with rat lines).  

So here are a few picture of the kit dated the year I graduated high school, 1982.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg

Edited by themadchemist, 25 October 2013 - 02:09 AM.

• E&T, John E., ringbolt2013 and 1 other like this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
 — Mahatma Gandhi

Current build: Swift - AL - 1:50 - Dock Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd custom build

Side project: Longboat - MS - 90mm of Holly and Ebony

Almost completed: Peterboro Canoe - Midwest - 1:12

Complete: Dinghy - Midwest - 1:12

philo426

philo426
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Yes I am working on the same kit.Should be a fun learning experience!

• John E. likes this

Adrieke

Adrieke
  • Members
  • 2,147 posts
  • LocationSydney

its a nice model to learn on  :)

are you plannin gon making sails for her as i beliee they are not included ?

• John E. and ringbolt2013 like this

achter elke traan van verdriet, zit een glimlach van herinnering

behind each tear of sadness, there is a smile of a memory

farewell my friend I ll miss you

Current build : OcCre Gorch Fock 1/95

Next build : AL HMB Endeavour 1/60

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : MMSD San Salvador (Card) 1:100

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

01 - Bulkhead and Keel Construction (part 1)

I debated on how to approach squaring the bulkheads to the keel for a couple of days until I finally decide to use angle aluminum. I used a 3/4" width 1/8" thickness angle as I wanted enough thickness in the jig to not allow any give and the thinner 1/16 angle seemed a bit flimsy. I made a 2" and 3" set for this and future builds and had enough stock left for other projects.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

• John E. likes this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

Current build: Swift - AL - 1:50 - Dock Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd custom build

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

01 - Bulkhead and Keel Construction (part 2)

The bulkheads were glue using PVA glue and clamped down using the angle aluminum and squeeze clamps in 2 planes. Of course Al had to get in on the act and check all my placements before giving his victory dance atop the work in progress.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg

• dgbot, E&T, CaptainSteve and 3 others like this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

01 - Bulkhead and Keel Construction (part 3)

After gluing of all bulkheads into place one can see a bit of a curvature in the keel. This will be addressed later. Bulkheads were aligned at the top of the keel with the low point of the keel as the curvature of the deck would require fairing before deck placement.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg

• Jaxboat and John E. like this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

02 - Setting The Mast Blocks

As with the bulkheads, the mast blocks were glued using PVA glue. Slide arm ratchet clamps were used as the clamping distancew as larger with the blocks. Blocks were also aligned with the top of the keel, again with the lowest point of the block so that again the block could be faired before deck placement.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

Hello Philo426 and Adrieke

The kit didnt come with sails but there is a plan layout sheet for their construction. as the rigging isnt very intricate on this one I figured I'd put sails on her. Havent Decided furled or unfurled but most likely unfurled. I'd love to know how to shape the sail as if she is tacking in a nice breeze. That is the one thing about sails that often make the ship look dead in the water, limp lifeless sails. Any Ideas on this would be appreciated.

Shine On -/\=

Keith

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

03 - Bosun Hook Arrives

Well as I was preparing Blocks for the bow and stern from balsa, The kit provides Basswood and I wasn't up to that much work trying to shape the harder stuff I threw them To the Side. So I decided to give Al a boss, as he thinks he's in charge and it was going to his head. Figured I wouldn't hurt to practice my carving skills either.

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

• E&T, Marcus Botanicus, Farbror Fartyg and 1 other like this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

04 - Adding Bow and Stern Blocks

To aid in planking, blocks were added to the Bow and stern. The kit came with basswood blocks but these were exchanged for more workable Balsa inserts.This proved to be a good choice, as the balsa took quite a bit of work to shape. They were semi-shaped before placement but I still left much to be shaped away. Again They were glued using PVA glue and held in place with rubber bands. I knew I'd been saving those chunky rubber bands they put on broccoli and asparagus in the produce section of the grocery store for something.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

• John E. likes this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

hircsailor

hircsailor
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWakiki, Hawaii
Welcome aboard themadchemist. I also just brought a AL Swift from ebay and it turns out to be a model from 1983, I learned this from the Model Expo material dated 1983 that was included in the kit. I look forward to following your progress and to pick up on any ideas that you may have. In one sense I am one step ahead of you and two step behind you; My kit came from an estate sale where the orignal owner started to build it and attached the frames and deck to the keel. Only trouble was that they didn't square the frames and keel. I beleive that it is frame #7 where the deck seperates and the frame is about 1/16" off center on one side. When the kit arrived the keel and aft deck behind frame #6 was broken off so I have to repaire that before I can really get started. I also have to let the kit air out as it smells a little musty from being in storage somewhere. While that happens I can finish building the T50 and T37 rc sailboats that I am building right now.
I plan on starting a building log when I get started working on it.

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

hello hircsailor

I found 1982 on the kit I purchased. Funny the stuff you find in these old preowned kits. Another kit I purchased had an old hobby catalog. Not sure if your kits broken as on the older Swift (I dont know on the newer model) the deck is split at bulkhead 7. The front deck ends on bulkhead 7 and the aft deck sits on the 8th bulkhead and keel ridge, adding the block gives it a nice gluing platform. I'm a bit farther along then the photos, I just ran out of steam last night resizing pictures. At the moment Ive stopped at the planking. I have the garboard strake bent and ready to cut and glue but I'm waffling over just how far forward to extend them as I don't want the strakes crowding the Bow. I figured it would be a good time to catch up the log and be able to ask question in real time.

I also found that the assembled bulkhead required alot of fairing. I had to shim up 4 bulkheads, 2 for the deck and 2 for the hull to get a smooth fit, not to mention adding to the deck even. With the compound curvature of the deck its a bit of a struggle to get it on, I hope to finish getting caught up with the build log today.

Keith

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 2,637 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA

Ahoy, Keith :piratetongueor4: !

It seems you are most assuredly enjoying this hobby!  Nice job so far - looking forward to how your shipyard superintendent and Al manage to cooperate - which, of course, is all relative anyway...

Enjoying both of your logs - nice work!

Wayne

Current builds -
USRC Harriet Lane (solid hull kit - nearing completion)
Fishing Smack Emma C. Berry (POF)
Aeropiccola Kit US Frigate Essex

Partially built, moved to the back of the shelf for now- USRC Detector (POB)

Masting & Rigging Research Project

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

Hello Wayne

Not just enjoying, its the hobby that saved my sanity. Being disabled took its toll on me and having something to focus on to draw my mind from myself has be very healing and liberating. I see each task as a huge accomplishment. Each piece is a model of that piece and that gives me a feeling of accomplishment that I had lost. MSW is the frosting on the cake. It allows me to break from the isolation of being homebound. As an Ex-High School teacher its hard to go from seeing and interacting with 100's of young minds each day, to spending weeks never leaving the house.

As far as Al and Hook, Al has 5 or six inches on Hook but my money is on Hook. He's a salty Old Barnacle. Funny, it all started because I wanted to carve a tricome hat. Wait 'til you met the Captain...

Shine On -/\=

Keith

• trippwj and ringbolt2013 like this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

5 - Shaping the Bow and Stern Blocks

I got around to shaping the Bow blocks rather quickly but then stalled on the Stern. I now realize this must have been a defense mechanism that us builders develop to justify the need for more Tools. I convinced the Admiral (not a hard feat as she's seen the effects of this hobby on my well being) that I couldn't continue without more toys... er, um... I mean tools.

I found a set of medium sized rasps at Hobby Lobby in the soapstone carving section (I snagged a bit of nicely coloured soapstone also (I need to figure out what to carve in it). These and my 5/8" Dowel with 100 grit sandpaper CA'd to the middle of the staff did the trick. I rasped down close then finished by sanding with the dowel riding on bulkhead 7 with the sandpaper over and passed bulkhead 8. Alot of material had to be removed but it looks good to my eyes. Overall I was quite happy with the job and really glad I switched the Basswood for Balsa.

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

I've included a few pictures of some of the tools I used during shaping.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Edited by themadchemist, 06 March 2013 - 08:06 PM.

• trippwj, canoe21, E&T and 3 others like this

Shine On -/\=

Keith (tmc)

— Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.