I find myself and some work on my present build. taking the hull on my lap or between my legs to hold the hull in place during some application. Any body else do the same ? Or shouldI see my shrink ?

BTW I do have  various vises.  ;)

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

SOS,

I think you're in good company.  I read that Hahn did that a lot as he felt he had more control.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Since most work is done with things that are very sharp, often pointy and sometimes even quite hot, I tend to avoid using the groin area as a workbench. I can do more than enough damage to my extremities even when my build is mounted in a vice on a workbench. :)

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

When I was planking Bluenose, she spent a lot of time upside-down in my lap.  No sharp objects were in use - all cutting was done on the work desk.  If you need to see a shrink, I do too... I wonder if we can get a group rate?

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Contact Dr. Per at this link:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/474-therapy-for-shipaholics/    We have our own group already... post-76-0-61476400-1438981929.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I confess,... my lap comes in handy during initial planking stages and  it works for me.  ---  but, there is no "affection"  as far as I can figure  ---

JP

Edited by J.P.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

• 3 weeks later...

I learned a lesson a few years ago that it is very dangerous to lean in too close to the work bench.  There are too many things standing up from the surface that you might not notice because your focus is concentrated on the model.  I used to keep my small files standing up in a holder until I leaned in to check a fit.  Two of the pointy ones penetrated my cheek.  I wear glasses but the incident made a strong impression.  My model spends a lot of time in my lap or held to my chest, for sanding, for fitting, for scraping.  Often using a sharp tool for trimming or scraping.  I can't think of a better way to get a good sight line or spot the shadows when fairing the curves.  I am sure that things will change when I get to the rigging.

You will never know if you can do something until you try... and even then you may not be sure.

Sign me up for the group therapy.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Loving your model means MUCH more than only pampering it on ones lap ...

Even though it can be difficult to be on holidays with the small ones.

- Are we already there?
- I have to do pipi!
- I am Hungry!
- I am bored!

*bitchingaround*

But this has not to be like this! The trick is to get the small ones interested into the trip and get them enthusiastic about it. With a little bit of commitment it is not that tricky ...

... so I showed my small one the landcape ...

shipdad-150410_9971.jpg

...explained where I was the day before ...

shipdad-150410_9966.jpg

... and promised to take her there the day she will be big enough.

shipdad-150410_9967.jpg

Also zoos are a winner ...

shipdad-150410_9969.jpg

... she especially liked the two rheas.

Or just doing a bit of sport together ...

shipdad-150410_9978.jpg

... ping-pong was the favorite ...

... but the most important ...

shipdad-150410_9974.jpg

... was  ...

shipdad-150410_9976.jpg

... just to spend time together ...

shipdad-150410_9975.jpg

... telling stories ...

shipdad-150410_9977.jpg

... about god the universe and everything ...

shipdad-150410_9973.jpg

... and both of us already found a good and relaxing sleep together :-)

It is a tough and responsible job to be a good ship-dad, but I hope that I am on the right way, are you too?

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Haha!! I had a great laugh. Is there a little blanket you drap over her at night?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Yes a nice little blanket with plenty full of sweetly illustrated bees ;-)

And then I am reading Maya the Bee stories until we both are sound asleep ...

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Lol. This reminds me of one morning I found myself caressing on my lap the recently completed lower planking job in the  hull of my Royal Louis. It felt so good. :)

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Daniel

You are setting the 'love your ship' bar very, very high indeed. My ship is very jealous of your ship. Love the views.

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina