Too what degree are shrouds and stays served

markjay

Hi folks, I'm thinking ahead to the rigging phase for the HMS Fly. I realize that serving protects rigging from rubbing. The question is, do I serve just at the upper part of the shrouds around the mast or all the way down to the deadeye. Same question for stays.

Thanks in advance for any direction you give.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

My understanding (and the method I used) is that all the shrouds are served where they wrap the mast, but only the shrouds that will be exposed to chafing by the sails would be fully served to the dead-eye.  In the case of my AVS this meant that both the leading and trailing shrouds were fully served, but in some ships only the trailing, or only the leading shroud would be fully served, depending on the sail plan.

Mark, 

Assuming you are referring the HMS Fly 1776, you can get the whole story on rigging this and other Swan Class vessels in Volume IV of the TFFM series by David Antscherl.  I quote from Section 15.24 on page 50, Fore and main shrouds........... These shrouds are 10" cable laid and their laniards are 3 1/2" line.  The foremost shrouds of both fore and main gangs are "singles" that are cut-spliced over the mast head.  They are seved for their full length.......

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

B.E.: you are correct. That should have read 7". It is the lower shroud deadeyes that are 10" (in diameter!) TFFM is not entirely error free. I believe that the author wrote a disclaimer to infallibility in the preface!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

In my copy on Page 50 it seems to have been corrected. It reads "These shrouds are of 7" cable and their laniards are 3 1/2" line."

It seems corrections are made on the hoof as people notice them. My copy arrived a month ago.

Tony

Hi Mark

The answer to your question is that the foremost shrouds were served their entire length, the rest of the shrouds were served to just below the futtock staves. Fore and main stays were served to just below the mouse. Back stays were served to just below the splices or lashings

Cheers

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Just want to thank all of you for your help with my question on serving. 

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

• 2 months later...

Mark I have been struggling with the same question for the stays - thank you for posting. I don't see any reference to a "Mouse" for my stays - I don't think my ship had mice on their stays. I'm not even clear what they are or their purpose... I'm particularly in the stays that run from the mainmast to the bowsprit (for the jibsails). Are these fully served?

Thx!

Mark I have been struggling with the same question for the stays - thank you for posting. I don't see any reference to a "Mouse" for my stays - I don't think my ship had mice on their stays. I'm not even clear what they are or their purpose... I'm particularly in the stays that run from the mainmast to the bowsprit (for the jibsails). Are these fully served?

Thx!

The 'mouse' is a wide spot in the stay that prevents the eye-splice from going past it, allowing it to be secured to the mast.  No idea why they did it this way vs. splicing like an odd shroud, but I assume it had some advantages in strength or something.

Here is my forestay with the mouse completed off the model, showing how the stay feeds through the eye-splice and is secured by the mouse.

post-14925-0-89609600-1448125579_thumb.jpg

And here are the stays in place on the ship showing both stays and mouses (click for big).

post-14925-0-22331500-1448125621_thumb.jpg

No idea if your current project used the same method, but it seems to be pretty common to secure stays this way.

You can see a step-by-step of how I formed the mouse in the build log here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8085-armed-virginia-sloop-by-gunthermt-model-shipways-scale-148-complete/?p=342164

Edited by GuntherMT