Starter Kit for Child

mikiek

My first mate has been helping me with my Niagara build. She's at a point where she's reading the simpler parts of plans, measuring, cutting, etc.  I started thinking about a starter kit for her. Obviously Captain Dad would be there for assistance.

So I'm looking for something interesting but does not require hours of repetitive tasks like planking, sanding and the like. She's smart as a whip for a 10 year old, but stuff like that get's old for most of them. Maybe a few strings to rig. I'm hoping it will be a good exercise in patience and planning beyond "what's on Disney tonite".

I've seen the Constructo Junior kits. Also the Mantua Le Piccole series. I am wanting to see what else may be out there and what suggestions you may have.

Thanks for reading........

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike,

There's also the mini-Mamoli kits that are still available.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mike,

I helped a friend of mine build the HMS Bounty by Constructo and it was his first kit. It is a solid hull construction so no crazy framing or hard planking to do. In fact, the kit even shows it built without planking the hull, just installing the wales, rails and some trim pieces then painting it. This is how we built his as he did not want to mess with all the planking but it gave him a taste of it with the wales. Of course you can always add more than the plans show.

I have included a couple of pictures to show you what it looks like. I have more pictures of it if you are interested I can send them to you when I get home.

post-22933-0-39827500-1461606672_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-61388200-1461606681_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-92045300-1461606689_thumb.jpg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

You might like the Bluejacket Ensign skill builder series. They have seven ships in this series. My first ship was the Yankee Yero but the Optimist Dinghy to me looks like a great project for the two of you. It will even come with her own tools, brushes, and paint in one box.

Great job sharing your passion with her! Here is a link. You can see the other options under the entry level tab. What ever you choose it will be great.

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/optimist.htm

Edited by Blue Pilot

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

I forgot about BJ Mark. They do have some nice choices.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

The Midwest apprentice series are good kits to start with.  The Skiff is the simplest but provides a good introduction to basic modeling skills.  A little more complex but still straight forward is the Hampton Flattie or the Chesapeake Crabbing Skiff.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Ohhh Nick - looks like Maristella has a few new "grown up" kits as well :rolleyes:

I have no experience with the cross section models. As far as skill level required, are those similar to regular kits that we build?  Too complicated for a child?

What seemed attractive about them is that while there is planking, rigging, etc - all those tasks that can get rather mundane - there's not near as much.

Mike,

Maybe one of these:  http://www.modelexpo-online.com/search.asp?SKW=cat1_PM%20cat2_I0  There's just some planking, painting, and a wee bit of rigging.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think Midwest is out of the model ship business. There is no mention of ships on their website anymore, and a few months ago they were listing kits as " limited availability"

I believe you are correct but the models seem to be available.  Ebay always seems to have a lot of them listed.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Right now I'm leaning towards one of the Mamoli 'Mini's' or BlueJacket Yankee Hero.  The Mamoli's are not easy to find. Several sites show them but they are not in stock and given that Mamoli is out of business they won't be getting any more. And I don't shop Ebay.

Edited by mikiek

We've reviewed a lot of what has been mentioned here. Sounds like a sailing ship is the general direction. She always asks 'does it have cannons'  so there is another hint.

Richard,

Youtube has several videos of very miniature cannon firing and also RC sailing ships firing.   Search for Surprise as if I remember right that will lead you to others.  Found one...  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A little off topic but interesting. There was another - Constitution vs Victory. In terms of seamanship I don't know how accurate the video is, but I find it fascinating watching sails set and reefed, the luffing and tacking. It's a part of all battles that I don't think we often realize. It's not all just firing cannons at each other.

Would be curious to know if there are others, perhaps not as detailed graphically, but show the movement of ships through some of the major battles.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this out - we went with the Mini Mamoli's. Black Queen and Flying Fish. Kits arrived today. Reasonably simple, but there is some planking and rigging called for. Daughter was SO excited.

Should be fun!

Hi Mike.

Nice choice.

We have made this mini kit and it's quality is good.

Link to our build below.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7782-black-queen-by-alex-s-mini-mamoli-scale-1-135-first-build/?hl=%2Bblack+%2Bqueen

It's so nice to do modeling with your son or daughter and to pass on skills and interests.

All the best.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Wow Antony - Cudos to you for your effort! And thanks for the link. It will help immensely and my daughter will love reading it. The kit looks like it will give her a taste of the main tasks we do in a larger build - just not too much of it.

Now you have me thinking about getting her to do a build log.