Finished hull planking protection

I'm using a cardboard layer on my main deck to protect it as I complete the hull planking (working nicely).

However, I've already caused some minor damage as I continue on with the first layer of planks (no big deal as it will be covered).

My concern now is protecting the finished second layer of  planking; both during planking and afterword as I complete the deck furniture and the tedious rigging activity.

I'm hoping some of the experienced builders here on MSW might have some creative ideas on how to do this...other than the obvious, which is to be very careful   :)

Any input would be appreciated  :cheers:

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Would be careful with cardboard, it's a paper product and will absorb fluids. Don't know what your finish is, but if it is not cured dry, there is a risk that the cardboard will draw enough of it to self glue itself to your model. Perhaps a wax coating or paint sealer on the cardboard might be good insurance.

jud

Edited by jud

Hold off on the actual finish - teak oil or whatever - until your build is done. It's inevitable - YOU WILL smack finished parts while working on other parts and YOU WILL get scratches.

That said, foam works well. You can buy pieces with cutouts for hulls on most modeling sites. You can also just glue some pieces together into a U shape.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hold off on the actual finish - teak oil or whatever - until your build is done. It's inevitable - YOU WILL smack finished parts while working on other parts and YOU WILL get scratches.

That said, foam works well. You can buy pieces with cutouts for hulls on most modeling sites. You can also just glue some pieces together into a U shape.

Hi Mike,

Just what I'm looking for...and good advise on holding off on the finish :)

Thanks for the response  

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48