one way to determine the shape of 2nd planking hull.

Hello guys,
In this tutorial I'm gonna share my way to determine the shape of 2nd planking hull:

Prepare some pieces of A3 Paper (297mm x 420mm / 11.7’’x16.5’’), a paper cutter, 
a ruler, a measuring tape (or any flexible ruler/ thread) , and masking tape.

measure the distance from the deck to the keel at the widest point. This is x.
the length from stem to stern at the widest point is y.

post-24632-0-95205800-1463043813_thumb.jpg
post-24632-0-78978700-1463044018.jpg

cut the paper into strips, and the size of the paper strip is:
width = the width of plank, 
length = y
and the amount of the paper strips = x/ the width of plank

post-24632-0-71136500-1463043826_thumb.jpg

post-24632-0-19891300-1463043897.jpg

Put the strips of paper in order 
post-24632-0-04277800-1463044058.jpg

post-24632-0-09278400-1463044537.jpg

post-24632-0-18972200-1463044588.jpg

post-24632-0-32035500-1463044603.jpg

post-24632-0-59682600-1463044714.jpg

post-24632-0-15329600-1463044727_thumb.jpg

Cutting out the plank follow the shape of each paper strip.

Hello? anybody home?

Edited by thelastronald

Interesting method. Is it more accurate than the tic-strips and spiling methods like those shown in the tutorials?    Can you post a pic of the finished planking?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice idea. I like the paper cutter idea as well. I've tried to do something similar on a smaller scale but I was cutting the strips with scissors. No matter how well I followed my lines, I never get 100% straight edges. The paper cutter will do the work in half the time with twice the accuracy.

Thanks!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, neat idea. Will do this on my next built. Thank you.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Ronald,

I am anxious to see the end results.  From looking at how you laid out the paper, the strips do not appear to look anything like the actual planking should, especially at the bow.    I hope it turns out to be a neat new way, so again, I am anxious to see the end results.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU