Arbortech Power chisel

Scanning internet for sharpening guides and saw this power chisel. It sells for approx. $ 200.00 US.

Looks interesting and they state you will be a master craftsman. 

It sounds good, but it looks like it could be a little unwieldy for intricate carving no matter what they state.

Any thoughts, the only review I could find was a 12 year old who (and his father thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread)

Your thoughts 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Janos,

Looks interesting smaller and lighter which sometimes is a lot better, cannot find any independent hard reviews on either off their websites.

Much cheaper too.

Thanks for the response

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

P.S. 

Janos,

From what you have replied assume you all ready have the Proxxon? After perusing your work (fantastic) would except your recommendation without question.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

John

I'm not sure that a power carver will make you a better carver.  

I have a Ryobi DC500.   I haven't used it for fine work - mostly for hogging material so far, but now I'm curious to see how it works for fine work.  I hear it's discontinued, but I see several on eBay for around $100.  

The Arbortech looks like it was designed for building log houses or carving grizzly bears out of a stump.

Another option, if you have the Foredom rotary shaft tools - they have a power chisel hand-piece H50 - $80, including six chisels.  ($56 on eBay - how does that work?)

On the topic of chisels, it looks like there is a standard for the tangs and how they fit into the hand-piece.  I've heard that FlexCut makes an after-market set with quality steel.

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

Scanning internet for sharpening guides and saw this power chisel. It sells for approx. $ 200.00 US.

Looks interesting and they state you will be a master craftsman. 

It sounds good, but it looks like it could be a little unwieldy for intricate carving no matter what they state.

Any thoughts, the only review I could find was a 12 year old who (and his father thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread)

Your thoughts 

This tool is still sold by WoodCraft, in store running at 260 dollars.

At one time my local store had a demo of the machine with a "person representing ArborTech", unfortunate he broke three machines within half an hour.

He couldn't believe it and claimed it had must happened during the shipping.

The local store owner was extremely unhappy and canceled the remaining one and half hour of demo giving out vouchers for 50 dollar in store for tools for 8 people that had shown up.

What happened afterwards I have no idea.

Personally I bought hand chisels and got additional rebate.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Bruce, 

Looked at both on line will go that direction, both have great reviews.

Thanks for the response that's why I love this site there's always an answer and for a next to nothing novice carver (myself) it tends to save modelers money from buying tools they do not need or there is always a cheaper alternative.

Dr Per

I assume arbor tech did not return for an encore. Thanks for the heads up.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

I have a powered chisel that I use for sculpting.  I would not, could not, use it for modeling.  Its finest adjustment along with its weight would make it too hard to control given the fine work we require. 

But I am a slow and go modeler.  Even though I have a range of dremels and proxxon tools I still tend to use hand tools for the fine work required.  

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren