Sizing and making parrels

I have a friend who asked the following question on the Fine Scale Modeling site:

When making or purchasing aftermarket parrels, how do we ensure that we have the right scale?

I recommended three references, Anderson's Rigging of ships in the days of the spritsail topmast, Campbell's Jackstay, and Mondfeld's Historic ship models.

Can anyone offer other references or discussion points?

Thanks!

Bill

Hi Bill;

Is you friend making a model from a particular period?

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Mark,

He is building the Heller 1/100 Le Soleil Royal of the late 17th century, and is doing a spectacular job of it.  He has done a remarkable job of painting her using artist oil paints, and has used aftermarket blocks to complete the standing rigging.  He is now working on the yards and the running rigging.  Like on every other aspect of this build, he wants to make sure that his parrels are correct for the nationality and the period.  Please look at his build log if you would like to see a work of art in plastic!  His thread is under the authorship of David_K and the thread is titled Heller Soleil Royal (WIP).

Thanks for any help!

Bill

Edited by Bill Morrison

Hi Bill;

Sorry,  I can't be of any real help to your friend there.  I have quite a bit of info on English men-o'-war,  but nothing on the French. 

However,  I am sure that I have seen references here to works that would be relevant.  Maybe Jean Boudriot publications have something,  although I suspect he covers a period that was slightly later in history.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Bill,

At that scale, I would think the English dimensions would be workable and un-noticed if not exactly correct by even experienced modelers.  Lees gives the following information on page 168 of his Masting and Rigging English Ships of War 1625-1860.   I paraphrase  ->

The lower yards had three rows of trucks and the others two rows. Except for the sprit topsail and topgallant yards, the length of the ribs on the lower parrels were one and a half times the diameter of the diameter of the yard.   For the sprit topsail and topgallant yards they were twice the diameter of the yard. The depth of the ribs was equal to the diameter of the trucks, and the width of the ribs was a quarter the diameter of the trucks.  The trucks' diameter was one fifth the ribs length on parrels of three rows and one third the length of parrels of two rows. The length of the trucks was one and a quarter times their diameter.  

Hope this is of some help.

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Bill,

Can you provide a link to his build? I am going to be starting a wood version of the Soleil Royal in a few months and would love to see his as I am currently in research and ideas mode on that build. I have tried searching both his user name and the log title you provided but I cannot seem to find it.

Thanks,

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

He is on the Fine Scale Model Forum

Henry, thank you for that. I will look him up over there. Also, your own build of this ship is very nice. I will be following your log with great interest also.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild