Foredom rotary tools.....how good are they?

I am considering buying a used Foredom tool primarily for carving, but have never used one (I have been using a 35 year old Dremel tool that is on its last legs). Before I spend the money I'm hoping to get some sage advice from some of the members. Some questions I have.........

Are they as good as everybody says they are?

Do they have a lot of vibration in the tool, similar to the Dremels, or are they truly smooth?

Are they pretty much maintenance free?

Which model do you prefer, and why (again, especially for woodcarving)?

Are they disturbingly noisy?

I could not find a lot of info on the internet about these tools, nor could I find a lot on this site.  Hoping that this request for input can result in an interesting topic.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have to offer.

Jim

Jim:

I have had one for 15 years or so.  Very smooth.  10X better than anything Dremel makes.  Not noisy.

Occasional lubricating of the flex shaft drive is needed but it's real easy - lube is in a tube - disconnect from the tool, drop some lube into the flex shaft housing reattach.  I have the cc model with the std hand piece.  Very happy with it.  I don't use it for carving any more as I now have a dental machine for carving but the Foredom is a fine tool.  It will go very slow and I have done a lot of trimming with sanding drums of fiberglass and styrene w/o melting the styrene.  It can also spin like crazy to hog out wood. 

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Foredom is built for tough job, many heads are available.  

But I prefer an electric pen, more delicate for small job.

The main advantage: no shaft to reduce the flexibility of use

and for this reason I do not use anymore the Foredom which in addition is like using a bulldozer when a smaller tractor could be more than enough.

Guest Tim I.

I love mine. I dropped my Dremel a year ago in favor of my Foredom. I use the foot pedal, to vary the speed -- it comes in handy.

Bottom line, well worth the money. 

- Tim I.