Help with bending wood

Hello:

I'm working on Latina Sanson tug.

There is a piece of wood at stern that will need to bend to fit along deck/ grating.

First photo shows a sample piece of card stock taken from actual piece in question as it exists before bending.

Second photo shows same card stock as it has been taped in place to show how it will end up.

The actual wood piece appears to be laminated wood about 2mm thick.

Your help please as to how to bend wood.

Thank you

Rick

post-3136-0-99914000-1367972204_thumb.jpeg

post-3136-0-87854000-1367972223_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Sir;

I too am working on the Sanson model.

I tripped over your query and thought I would offer my method and experience.

I am a big believer in the "Ammonia-soak" method of bending wood.

Essentially, take the piece that you want to bend and submerge it in Ammonia for a couple of hours.

When the piece is well saturated with the Ammonia, take it out and gently bend it to the shape you want.

Set it up with clamps or a mold and let it dry. It'll dry fairly quickly ( a few hours) and hold the very closely to the shape you set when you set up for the drying process.

Y/t,

Hugh

PS: No drafting table, no cutting, no filling and no sanding.

The wood of the piece will look just like it did before the soaking and bending and drying.

post-15552-0-78072300-1411137458_thumb.jpg]

post-15552-0-40108700-1411138099_thumb.jpg

post-15552-0-47920200-1411137548_thumb.jpg

post-15552-0-74524700-1411137655_thumb.jpg

post-15552-0-84010000-1411137766_thumb.jpg

post-15552-0-71798600-1411137786_thumb.jpg

post-15552-0-98702400-1411137804_thumb.jpg

The pickle jar lid in #2 is simply intended to keep the wood submerged for the soak.

Edited by rj44444@comcast.net

Ahoy Mates :D 

Although there might be many ways to skin this cat trying it with the part is not one of them. Anytime I run into a difficult task I experiment with something other then the part first. With laser cut kit parts there is always plenty of unused wood on the same sheet. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi Rick--Looks like you nailed it!  In more ways than one. 

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For LA Don:

Sir;

Having done a number of “plank-on-frame” pieces I have developed a couple of “tips” for builders.

The first problem that can emerge is a bowed keel (piece #1). This was the case with part #1 of Sanson.
My solution is to align two or four (or maybe more) “filets” on either side of where the keel assembly will meet the deck to position the keel along the centerline of the deck;
one on each side of course .Pieces  for these little fillets can be taken from any of the "right angles" of the parts sheets;There are plenty of those.

The second problem I have previously had with “plank-on-frame” models is that sometimes the frames slip out of a 90 degree relationship with the keel.
 I have cemented some small (scrap) pieces of “1/4 round” on the the keel and each frame to hold the 90 degree positioning; (It make me feel better anyway). 

I will try to attach a photo of a sample section of the hull (keel and frame assembly).

Second item (maybe a note to builders): On my current Sanson, I would perform step #11 before starting on step #4.  It may preclude any damage to “upper-works” and deck during what can be some rough handling  during procedure 11.

I'm going to try and attach a photo.

post-15552-0-73137800-1411135996_thumb.jpg

Hugh

Sanson filet

Question for Koopyetz..............are you photos ".jpg: files ?

Edited by rj44444@comcast.net

Hugh,

See my posts above.  You're limited on both file size and the pixel size (length and width).   Try to get below 2M on the file size and keep the pixel acreage at less than 1200 X 1600.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For LA Don:

Sir;

Having done a number of “plank-on-frame” pieces I have developed a couple of “tips” for builders.

The first problem that can emerge is a bowed keel (piece #1). This was the case with part #1 of Sanson.

My solution is to align two or four (or maybe more) “filets” on either side of where the keel assembly will meet the deck to position the keel along the centerline of the deck;

one on each side of course .Pieces  for these little fillets can be taken from any of the "right angles" of the parts sheets;There are plenty of those.

The second problem I have previously had with “plank-on-frame” models is that sometimes the frames slip out of a 90 degree relationship with the keel.

I have cemented some small (scrap) pieces of “1/4 round” on the the keel and each frame to hold the 90 degree positioning; (It make me feel better anyway). 

I will try to attach a photo of a sample section of the hull (keel and frame assembly).

Second item (maybe a note to builders): On my current Sanson, I would perform step #11 before starting on step #4.  It may preclude any damage to “upper-works” and deck during what can be some rough handling  during procedure 11.

I'm going to try and attach a photo.

file:///Users/HuBREPLOGLE/Desktop/Sanson%20filet.jpg

Opps !    Sez this file is too big to upload.

I can attach it to an email if you like......get to me at rj44444@comcast.net

Hugh

Sanson filet

Question for Koopyetz..............are you photos ".jpg: files ?

Hugh

Yes, they are JPG files.

Rick

Reducing the size of a jpg.  Most of the photo editing programs have processes to reduce image size.  I use photoshop elements and it only takes a few seconds.  I am sure other members can suggest other software if you don't have elements.

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways