HMB Endeavour by rowand - Artesania Latina - 1:60

Hi All,

This is my first wooden kit build ship. I chose the Endeavour becasue of its historical value and it looked like a good, interesting kit. I started it some time ago and I've taken some breaks along the way, sometimes because of other commitments and sometimes because I had to figure out the next step in construction. I have appreciated viewing other modeller's work and thought that I'd start up this build log to re-pay the debt and exchange ideas.  Thank you for stopping by and have a great day,

post-3231-0-50823500-1369024482_thumb.jpgpost-3231-0-05886400-1369024493_thumb.jpgpost-3231-0-92212700-1369024495_thumb.jpgpost-3231-0-56342200-1369024485_thumb.jpgpost-3231-0-15367400-1369024488_thumb.jpgpost-3231-0-79432500-1369024490_thumb.jpgpost-3231-0-13061100-1369024480_thumb.jpg

Your comments and ideas are most welcome.

Cheers,

rowand

Hi Wim,

Yeh, it really is my first wooden kit ship build and thank you for your kind comments. I commited to it before I read the experience level requirements on the side of the box (8 yrs and older) so progress has been a bit slow but never mind, I'm really enjoying it. Model Ship World is a fantastic forum and I'm picking up quite a lot from reading other build logs - my thanks to you All. 

Thanks for looking in, Wim.

Cheers,

rowand.

Hello Rowand,

Thank you for contributing your buildlog.

This is indeed a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.

Everyone is always willing to help eachothher.

Your Endeavour is looking beautiful.

It's unbelievable this is your first wooden build. Well done!

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Rowand

Yeah I agree with the other comments, looking really good so far. I built this kit quite a few years ago. And like Anja said there are lots of other builders on this forum that can offer advice if you need it at any stage.

Cheers

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi John, Anja, robert 1965 and Steve,

Thank you very much for your encouragement and kind comments, I didn't expect a reception like this and I'm a bit lost for words so, thank you very much will have to suffice. Steve et al, any advice you've got, please don't hold back, it's all very welcome.

Thanks again, have a great day, :)

Cheers,

rowand

• 2 weeks later...

hi Rowand

wow she Is looking really good :) . I am building the same kit but am way behind you

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hi Adrieke,

Thanks Mate, you'll pass me in no time, I've been at it on and off for a while and she's in dry dock at the moment. Like I said in an earlier post, I wasn't happy with the finish of the model at the stern with the kit. I took reference off the replica vessel but would have been happier if I could have improved it a bit more. I'm looking forward to seeing your build, how's it going?

Have a great day,

rowand.

hi Rowand

at the moment most my time is concetrated on finishing the King of the mississppi so not much progress. i am about to start planking the deck . My aim is to try and make her look like the replica but i know that would require some major changes

Hi Rowand, I haven't looked in for a bit but glad to have caught up; she is looking great.  That will be a very nice model of her.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat, thanks for that, Mate.

Hi Adrieke, I found that the kit has some differences to the replica vessel and I'm trying to close that gap a little bit here and there but there are some bits and pieces that need small but signifcant changes to make it like the replica. I realised this a bit too late but I have decided to do what I can to fix up some of the discrepancies and get it a bit closer to the real deal without radical re-work. This model is on a steep learning curve for me..........

Have a good weekend All,

Cheers,

rowand

i am with you trying to make her look like the replica if possible :)

she is  a challenge , especilay to get her hul nicely shaped and planked which yuo already doen beautifuly

have a good weekend too

Hi Rowand,

I would like echo everyone else's comments and congradulate you on an excellent job on your first build. I attemted this model about 20 years ago and failed dissmally, it was my first attempt at a wooden ship. I have learned alot since then espeially from this site.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hi Roland,

I, too, am building the Endeavour as my first kit and I am at about the same place in construction as your photos show. Is your kit from Artesania Latina? If so, I found a few problems with the directions such as they refer to "top view diagram" which wasn't provided. All I see is a poor quality top view photo which is useless. I had to guess at the spacing of the ballisters which I now have installed. Next, I'm trying to figure out the best way to bend the railings to attach them. I thought of soaking them but I would like to know how do you plan to do that? 

Pete

Hi Pete,

yep, it's an AL kit and I think, like the rest of the modellers, I've found discrepancies in the kit and the instructions too. This is a great forum and as you can see from the other modellers, we're not the only ones that have discovered the short falls of the manufacturer. There's lots of information and tutorials here in MSW and if you haven't checked it out, I'd encourage you to do so.

To answer your question on bending planks and beams, at first, I tried using a plank bending tool but only manged to knip the end off the plank or cut it in half.......dohhh!!! After that, I made my own jigs out of some MDF wood and 4mm dowel (I got that tip from another modeller). I've attached a couple of photos. I soak the planks or  beams in hot water for a while and then place them in the jig. Depending on the type of wood and radius of the bend such as the hull planks, I had to try and ply the planks between my fingers to soften the grain and encourage them to bend. If necessary, I repeated the process a few times until I could get the bend correct and put them into the jig. When bending the walnut timber, I found that it needs a longer soak time and I needed to keep the water hot while the timber is soaking. I only did a couple of planks or beams at a time and let them dry fully in the jig before I removed them and fitted them to the model. With the sideways bends in the walnut timber like the deck rails, I also clamped them down to keep them flat and stop them from warping while in the jig. I guess the thing is  to take your time, nothing needs to be rushed. post-3231-0-11317300-1370218308_thumb.jpgpost-3231-0-84135900-1370218325_thumb.jpg

Have a great day,

Cheers,

rowand

Hi Rowand,

Thanks for tips on bending. Using your dowel method is a great idea. I now have all the railings attached and most of the mooring posts. Next I need to drill the holes for the masts. Drilling them at the correct angle has me a little nervous. Rather than trying to hold the drill angled properly in the two directions I'm thing of making a drilling jig. What do you think about that?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I ummed and arred on this for quite a while and had some close calls along the way. I think it's fair to say that you only get one go at this.  With reference to the AL kit drawing "Longitudinal section" (cutaway side veiw) I used a protractor to measure the angle of each mast in relation to the deck using the deck as the (zero) reference. I found that each mast has a different angle or sweep towards the stern in relation to the deck but each mast is more or less parallel with its neighbour mast. There are three aspects for each mast that need to be considered. It needs to be located on the vessel centre line, it needs to be angled back at the correct angle relative to the deck and it needs to be perpindicular to the horizontal line across the vessel.

This part of the build made me pretty nervous so I have a drill press (vertical drill) and used that to do the risky bits.I set the model up on the vertical drill press table and by adjusting the angle of the table for each hole to position the deck at the correct angle to drill each hole relative to the vertical axis of teh drill. Then using a spirit level, I set the deck as best I could in the horizontal across the vessel. I think I must have checked each setting about a million times and made sure the drill was spot on the mark.

I used new high speed steel cutting drills (nice and sharp) to cut the holes on a low-medium speed (r.p.m.) and a fairly slow feed drilling into the deck material as I didn't want to tear the wood around each hole. It took me about an hour and a half to set up each hole to drill (and 20 seconds to drill) so by the time I finished, I needed a beer (or two).  Once I finished the drilling, it took me a while to build up the courage to see if I got it right (I'll put up a couple of pikkies up over the weekend). If you like, I can set the model up in the drill press to depict the above. Anyway, it didn't come out too bad. After having endured this part of the build, I'd advise strongly against drilling free-hand, there's too much room for error. Either manufacture and set up a drill guide for each hole or use a drill press.

I think the masts are one of the more obvious things the eye will look at on the model and probably the easiest part of the build to make an error with as they need to be in line along the centre line of the vessel (fore and aft), sit perpindicular to the horizontal across the vessel and sit at the correct sweep angle. Anyway which way you decide to do it, I'd advise to take your time, work out what you want to achieve and how you are going to make sure that you get the outcome you want.

Don't hesitate to get back to me if I can help any further.

Have a great day,

Cheers,

rowan

Everybody is making his first build and it looks they have done a few hundred…….

Amazing clean and beautiful!

Keep on going this way.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

hello rowand . although AL's instructions tell you to get the angles from the longitudinal section they are actually mentioned on the mast instructions on plan 2 (at the back) and plan 3

the foremasts angle is 89 degrees

the mainmast 88 degrees

and the mizzenmast 87 degrees

Hey Sjors,

Thank you, I really appreciate everyone looking in and their kind comments, it's very encouraging and for a first time builder, it's great to have your support and encouragment. I've been surfing through the forum and viewing the most fantastic modelling efforts and have to say well done to every one for the very high quality and superb models on the forum. I've got to lift my game, that's for sure............

Cheers,

rowand....

Hi Adrieke,

Yep, you're spot on there. I measured them off the Longitudinal section drawings and got slightly different values, but only by a smidgen here and there.

Cheers Mate,

Have a good one,

rowand..........

well it wouldnt be AL instructions without some inconsistencies :piratetongueor4:

Hi Adrieke,

Have you or anybody else got an thoughts or comments on how you drilled the mast holes, please Mate? It's a pretty critical part of the build and any comments or advice would be welcome..........

Cheers,

rowan........

i drilled some holes just through the deck as i had forgot to glue in the reinforcements so i needed to know where to put them.  they should be at the correct position but i wil check when i get to that point. what i ma thinking is of buildign some jig where the angle can be adjusted and add an agle measuremnt tool and a wire with lead on it so it shows the angle. i ll make a drawing of what i have in mind :)

Hi All,

As promised in my ealier post above, I've attached some photos of the masts in position after I drilled the holes......

I poked the masts into position for the photos and there is a tiny bit of slop in the holes so please don't think this is the finished product.

Have a great weekend,

Cheers,

rowan

post-3231-0-80741600-1370666716_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-58599100-1370666719_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-76552000-1370666722_thumb.jpg

Hi Rowan,

Welcome to the Endeavour club.  I missed your log until now.  You're off to a flying start and looking good.

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)