Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Well its been 3 months since I could start a new model build, spent that time adding a breakfast room to our house and boy am I ready to get into something I enjoy. In the past I would have 3 builds going at the same time.

I chose to build 3 ships all for myself. Usually I donate them to auction off for local charities.

I chose  Model Shipways Niagara kit because its just a beautiful ship and has a great history.  Hopefully with some help from the folks here I can do her justice.  

I do not usually use a lot of paint in my builds, I just don't like to.  I practiced a little on my last build  with the  Jolie Brise build and it worked out alright.   Its log is here on MSW.

Anyways, here goes:

post-2054-0-55818700-1384550397_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

This must be an updated kit because the center keel is one complete piece not 3 separate pieces. That's nice of MS. I don't have a lot

of experience with Model Shipways. Only the New Bedford Whale boat which is in the completed gallery here. I really would like to

build the Confederacy but I wanted to try the Niagara first before spending that kind of money on a kit.

post-2054-0-20818200-1384551171_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

Good day to you,Would like to reserve a seat and follow your log,like the organised wood compartment,working on the Mississipi steamer, and Endeaver,was given a badly broken Niagara and two boxes of Niagara wood,will have to make some pieces,will watch and learn,thanks in advance,Edwin  :piratebo5:

Hi Ed

it will be good to follow your build too.

I completed a Niagara a few years ago. Most of the masts and rigging where

smashed in a house move

Rather than trying to repair the damage I bought a whole new kit and started again

The theory being I would do a better job second time around

Time will tell :)

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

So first on the list is tracing the bearding line on the center keel and file down the rabbit. The kit calls for the rabbit to be chiseled out  after the stem, keel, and sternpost are in place.   I'll place those on after I file the rabbit in.  

Used tracing paper to transfer the bearding line to the center keel

post-2054-0-79061500-1384553268_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-70057100-1384553269_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-51718400-1384553270_thumb.jpg

Hi AJ

I do have a build log although it is not updated very often at the moment

It is called " US Brig Niagara by Kenr"

Regards

Ken

ok, what type of paints are you using on bulwarks and waterway and planksheer,are the water base ,acrylic or enamels. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the typical palette of colors everyone has been using. I may use stains ,dyes,maybe some India inks. Edited by greatgalleons

AJ

The paints I use are as follows.

Red Humbrol tinlet #60     Yellow/Buff Humbrol tinlet #103

I always undercoat first with a waterbased product from the paint shop ( white )

Black is a small can of flat black again from the paint shop

And the green. The plans say "dark green " so again to the paint shop 

I pick a dark green from a colour chart and get a test pot made up

The test pot is big enough for me to use a brush which is about 1.5 inches wide so I can

paint quickly and smoothly

Hope all that helps

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Nice job so far.

Just a thought, you might want to hold off on attaching the stern post until after you're completed the planking. It will make it easier to fit overlong planks and trim them neatly afterwards, rather then trying to wedge them in.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I could not help but notice my work desk here is looking purdy rough.  20 years old and countless ship builds have left it scored really bad.   Here is a pic of what it looked like when I first started building ships. This was my scratch build Ark Royal I was working on from the HMS Revenge Plans. 

post-2054-0-92999000-1384702944_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-63064000-1384702945_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons