HMS Enterprize 1774 by mitchel - Shipyard - 1:96 - CARD - 28 Gun Frigate

Hello everyone

Well Christmas has come and gone and as promised I am starting a build log. One thing to notice straight off is that I have named the ship Enterprise with an 'S' rather than 'Z' which is the spelling on the kit. Not a big deal but something I want to do.

Now as stated in the title this is a card model. I have never done anything like this before so with the help of all you good people here I hope I can do her justice.

Here are 2 photos of the kit.

P1000339_zpscd7d1656.jpg

P1000338_zpse86938c3.jpg

Hi Michel looks very interesting and similar to larger frigates I for one look forward to updates and lots of photos to see how the build develops.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Here are a few more photos. I am only dry fitting before I use any glue. You can see the numbering of the bulkheads here..

P1000341_zps06fe30ea.jpg

I turned the model upside down to help make a snug fit of horizontal formers and damaged the upper tips of the fo'csle..

P1000343_zpsf93cf98d.jpg

The bulkhead formers make a snug fit but I need to re-inforce the hull I think. Any suggestions? I am thinking of glueing vertical strips either side of the bulkeads and giving the whole structure a 'wash' with watered down glue.

And finally, a photo of the whole ship so far..

P1000340_zps60be9ba1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the bulkead formers were a bit weak so I added pieces of paper to the bulkhead/horizontal formers. Not the neatest job I have ever done...

P1000352_zps5380859a.jpg

The transom formers are incredibly weak and just touching them breaks them easily..I will need to make a scratch version of the one I snapped and build the hull at the stern first to minimize any more breaks. The rest of the hull is quite sturdy.. 

P1000355_zpsb52c0b5d.jpg

P1000353_zpsba7a2432.jpg

Here is a look of the inside of the instructions book. The book is a mixture of building instructions and the actual cardboard for the build. I am also crossing out the letters/numbers of the pieces I have used as I go along so that I don't miss anything. If the letter isn't crossed out then I assume that I haven't used it.

P1000357_zps4451bc02.jpg

P1000356_zps66fb915f.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi Mitchell,

I'm looking forward to your starting up on your Enterprise again. One question – I've seen the Shipyard kit and it doesn't come with pre-cut frames. You're model looks like it has laser cut frames. Did your kit come from GPM by any chance? I see they sell a separate frames and detail parts set for the Shipyard Enterprize kit, as well as ones for some other kits. Just curious if that's what you got?

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 3 months later...

Mitchell, A beautiful ship. I am a card modeler and can sympathize with the fragility of the laser cut frames. You can stiffen and strengthen the fragile bits with super glue. You may also consider spraying the colored pages with a fixative such as krylon this protects the paper from handling as well as making it easier to remove stray glue which can seep from a joint and is almost impossible to remove from the "good side". My last suggestion I'd to visit papermodelers.com there is a wealth of information and talented modelers there. Best of luck.

John

Hi Guys

Clare...so sorry for not replying to you. I got my kit from the Polish site Shipyard. The frames were all pre-cut. Each frame piece is laser cut and has small tabs that when cut frees the frame from the cardboard. 

John...thank you for the information.

On a general note, I haven't given up on my ship, but my working table became a nursery for my daughters new baby boy. He is 1 now. My how time flies! My table used to have new born baby stuff piled on it, now it has 1 year old baby stuff on it instead.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone

My, doesn't time fly!

My grandson is 2 now and my daughter is moving out soon. Things should get back to normal in a few weeks. Over the months I have tried working on the kitchen worktops and in the bedroom but for me it just doesn't work. I even put the ship back on the table, but the little fella is always inquisitive and I end up putting the ship away again.

With a bit of luck I should be back soon.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bill, try starting with a free model. If you mess up, you just print up another one and try again. Take a look at the V105 tutorial in the card models section. The kit is a freebie from Digital Navy and is a great beginner's model.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone. A lot has happened over the years. I was made redundant (4 times) and I put the build away in the wardrobe where it has stayed since. I have 2 more grandkids now and I will retire New Year 2024. I now have a shed where I can work instead of the dining table. The ship is still exactly as I posted. So sorry for letting you all down over the time but I will make amends.

Edited by mitchel

Life is busy!

Welcome back!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...

I saw a video on YT where a guy used wood veneer to overlay onto the paper on the ships hull. He felt that the cardboard in the kit was 'too perfect' to give a realistic effect. I was thinking of doing the same. Has anyone used veneer rolls? The type that you iron on? Can it be sanded down? Glued with PVA/Superglue?

• 8 months later...

So, at long, long, long, last.....life has given me the time to pick up the model. I have come to the realisation that interruptions hamper my efforts big time. My daughter has a baby....grandparent duties come first. I am in my shed...the missus wants to go to the shops. I, therefore, go to the shops and don't return to my shed. I pick up the model and bend the cardboard out of shape.....I look on the internet for a solution...and end up watching a movie. I go over the plans with a beer...and realise what a task I have ahead of me...so I have the beer instead.

No excuses here.....just telling it like it is.

But after so many false starts I am ON IT!

Making a period ship model has been a wish I have had all my life. I made ALL the Airfix/ Revell ones. I vividly recall doing the WASA and SOTS and wondering why there was a crowsnest on the bowsprit. 

I have the monograph from Ancre of Le Gros Ventre. A wood model that I hope to build one day.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that I have had many a false dawn with this model, but I believe I am finally ready to give it another go. 

See you again in 2025 Mitchel 😁       Just kidding, I really do hope you find the time to get into the build and share photos with us.  STAY OUT OF THE SHOPS, (unless they have tools and models and fun stuff. 🤪)

Cheers

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

See you again in 2025 Mitchel 😁       Just kidding, I really do hope you find the time to get into the build and share photos with us.  STAY OUT OF THE SHOPS, (unless they have tools and models and fun stuff. 🤪)

Cheers

Allan

Hi Alan. Yeah, I'll take that on the chin. I just need to find tutorials about how to actually work with paper and cardboard so as to give me a chance to do a decent job of it. Things like how to iron out humps and fill in hollows.

Maybe put up a separate post in one of the other forums such as the plans forum or framing, planking  forum here at MSW and ask if anyone can steer you to some well done tutorials or books and such.  Not a tutorial, but Doris' build log of the Royal Katherine here at MSW may be of help to you. 

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/15981-hms-royal-katherine-1664-by-doris-155-card/#comment-497721

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

17 hours ago, mitchel said:

Things like how to iron out humps and fill in hollows.

The Shipyard designs, with their multiple skinning layers, are intended to eliminate the typical "starving cow" look sometimes seen in card model hulls.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

10 hours ago, allanyed said:

Not a tutorial, but Doris' build log of the Royal Katherine here at MSW may be of help to you. 

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/15981-hms-royal-katherine-1664-by-doris-155-card/#comment-497721

Thanks for the link Alan.

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

The Shipyard designs, with their multiple skinning layers, are intended to eliminate the typical "starving cow" look sometimes seen in card model hulls.

I see what you mean. You get a thin paper layer to place on the frames and then a thicker paper layer to go over that. I don't like the way the deck looks. It looks too perfect and the planks are not realistic in my view. The treenails? on the planking are round circles and don't look right. I have some thin wood strips of veneer and I also have a roll of beech-looking paper. I'm thinking of laying this over the 'perfect' decking.

Edited by mitchel
revision

Contact paper for cabinets works well for me.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• The title was changed to HMS Enterprize 1774 by mitchel - Shipyard - 1:96 - CARD - 28 Gun Frigate