US Brig Syren by Shazmira - Model Shipways - 1:64

For those that were following my previous build of the Syren, here I go again. Had a bit of a snafu getting the replacement parts from ME this time, but as usual they came through and all is good.

The bulkhead former, bulkheads, and everything are not the nasty laser burnt ply of before. I am hoping this new wood will turn out to be more stable and not crumble to pieces as before. I haven't quite figured out what exactly the wood is they used for this...very light weight, large grained, and I swear it is balsa....but my mind seems to think no one would use balsa for the skeleton of a ship....but what do I know.

So first the obligatory box and contents pictures

post-127-0-91105000-1393989254_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-26293600-1393989265_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-13417600-1393989274_thumb.jpg

My boxwood upgrade from Jeff at Hobby Mills

post-127-0-27739200-1393989288_thumb.jpg

new former with bulkheads squared and glued!

post-127-0-86037500-1393989373_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-74153700-1393989378_thumb.jpg

So to my friends and followers, wish me luck that this third attempt truly is the charm!

AND WE ARE OFF!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

We'll be here to root you on.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good to have you back, Robbyn! All the best with your build!

I'll be staring my soon once I've completed my house move this weekend, so I'll be watching yours closely. No doubt I'll be just one step behind you and hope to learn from your build.

Kind regards,

Martijn

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

Count me in Robbyn, I am back on board for this build.

Looks like you have made a good start.

Steve

Glad I reserved my spot in the front row Robin - looks like it might get crowded in here. No doubt Sjors will arrive soon with the popcorn. :)

Nice to see you started again.

We'll do a wave to cheer you on..  post-76-0-70785700-1394148751.gif   Hopefully these guys will stay away now.  post-76-0-46631600-1394148752.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Marsares sent me a pM regarding a spreadsheet for upgrading the Syren wood from Hobby Mills. Does anyone here have that information for him, and if so please send it to him? Thanks for your help.

I also apologize for my silence of late. Things have continued to snowball in my life...just finished midterms, so all the grading of papers crisis has passed for a bit. I should get a 2 week lull in that excitement anyway.  House was sold, then not sold :( put a pretty good damper on my mood. Now, sale is pending once again, keeping my fingers crossed this time the buyer can secure financing. I am still spending many of my nights in the oil fields helping Craig, it is the only way I get to see him otherwise, but with my class load I had to limit those nights to Friday-Sundays. Craig wasn't thrilled, but I think he understood I have my job to get completed first. Learned a couple weeks ago that my mom has lung cancer, they thought they caught it early but a ct scan showed an enlarged adrenal gland as well, which he oncologist informed her means the cancer has already spread to that far. She has a PET scan scheduled for today, and will have results on Wed afternoon. Her spirits are pretty darn good right now, she kind of has a matter-of-fact attitude about everything right now. She says she not surprised, she has smoked for 55 years, and her dad died of lung cancer when I was just a toddler. I think she is dealing better than I am. Let's just say I am no where near ready to say goodbye to my mom.

But enough of that, otherwise life is good, just rolling by at warp speed it seems. Teaching career seems to have taken on a life of its own, picked up 3 extra classes this semester, and come fall I have picked up 4 additional courses. I am thinking 9 classes means I will be the one working the 18 hour days for weeks on end. But I have a job, and my skills are in demand, so life is good right?!?!

I have made progress on the build, got my bulkheads installed, and all the filler blocks put in, I will post pics of progress tonight.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

My hopes and prayers for you and your Mom, Robbyn.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hey Robbyn

I missed your restart but saw you post today.

I am very saddened to see your news about your mother, It's a sad fact of life that most of us will be forced to see our parents' end. My own mother is in very bad health and your words sum it up well, We are never ready to give them up.

I'm glad to hear of her attitude and mind set and pray for her to have the strength needed for the struggle ahead. Attitude is everything and it can have such a great effect on the experience of trauma, no matter the outcome, patient and caregiver. Sometimes these wake up calls force us to relook at just how important our families are and it teaches us to cherish each moment more closely. You all will be in my thoughts, just as so many are. This is exactly why MSW is a community. The ships we build and share are representations of a real thing, while the friendships we share are the real thing.

As a chemist, I prefer to see the glass completely full, 1/2 with water, 1/2 with air :)

Be Well, my friend.

Robbyn,

I hope it all gets better... mom, job, houses...  Things don't always go the way we want them and so it goes.  What I've learned is that character isn't built by trials and problems, it's revealed.  You have a strong character so take a deep breath, follow your priorities.  We'll understand.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Prayers for you & your family!

I admire your  determination on this build. I love brigs. I always have thought they were one of the most beautiful of ships.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thoughts and Prayers for your mom and your family as they will be her support. Lost my mom to double lung cancer back in 1990. The medical field has improved a lot since then.

Good Luck and God Bless.

My wife is also a teacher that works long hours as she feels her job calls for it.

May your time with your modeling help you fill your heart with thoughts of good times and relax you. Enjoy the build as I and others have said before. Some days we don't put in the time and other days the time just goes to fast while we work. The model will be there for you. Enjoy what time that you can with your mom. Again Thoughts and Prayers to her and your family.

Looking forward to seeing the pics that you talked about.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Hi Robbyn,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom  :(

I wish I could start at another way to see that you have started number 2.....

But I will follow you again !

Did you take the popcorn machine with you ?

The start is perfect and the replaced wood looks excellent !

So I have to see where I can find a free seat.....

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Robbyn,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's condition. I'm a bit worried for you since this is coming when demands for your time and responsibilities have increased so much. Please remember to take care of yourself and that you are very special to so many of us here at MSW. You are in the thoughts and prayers of many good folks.

Best wishes,

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I just found your new log today! Glad to see things up and running again.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.....this is a tough stage of life. I lost my Mom to cancer 3 years ago and, no, we are never ready to lose them.  Enjoy every moment that you can with her. My thoughts and prayers will be with you both.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Like those above I just found your restart. Now you are a veteran. This should be easier. Good Luck!

PS there is no profession more important or valuable than Teaching! Thank you for your dedication.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

First and foremost my prayers and best wishes to you and your mom. Also I hope when you get back to

the Syren you get to enjoy it because it's a really fun build!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

May god bless your mother.  It is hard to have someone you love being seriously ill.  My mother has diabetes in a very bad way.  She is being scheduled for an appoinment at the University of Iowa for her foot.

David B

Hello Robbyn/Craig.The Admiral and I are deeply saddened by your news of mum,my wife lost hers not long ago,Our. sincere long distance prayers are on the way to her as we speak.My daughter(50) just had a test for 5 breast lumps which thankfully turned out benign ,keep your chin up.Edwin

Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers for my mom. I am hanging in there, and her spirits are still good. She meets with the oncologist tomorrow, so we will be better armed with information and a treatment plan then. 

On the other front, things are just rolling along, I am looking forward to Spring break next week and intend to devote a large amount of my free time to creating some sawdust!!

I have been doing a bit each chance I get, so the picture updates are now here

I put the balsa filler blocks in, this time I opted to fill in the majority of the hull with them, notching out the area where the gun port sill will go. I felt this would help add stability.

post-127-0-91402300-1394674734_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-89072700-1394674751_thumb.jpg

Got the below deck section planked

post-127-0-28630500-1394674764_thumb.jpg

I think I did a fair job of getting the bulkheads square and lined up correctly with the templates, only the final two bulkheads at the bow do not line up, and from everyone's accounts that is the correct way to do them.

post-127-0-40700400-1394674782_thumb.jpg

Last night I placed my temporary battens on both sides to mark out where those gun port sills will ride. this is where my first mistake was on the last go around. Although I had the 2 battens even and following a natural curve, I had not created the proper curve needed, so when I had completed my upper planking I found at the stern my top plank sat almost 3/8 of an inch below where it was intended. This of course threw off the wales and the rest of the planking. I believe I have them in the proper position this time.

post-127-0-91318300-1394674793_thumb.jpg

Tonight I am working on the gun port sills, and tomorrow plan to get the lintels in place, hopefully more time for pictures then.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station