what is the ideal modelling table?

I have a large work room with most of the necessary wood working tools that generate tons of wood chips and sawdust.

I also have a nice long space outside the work room where I'd like to build a modelling (or model building) table.  An area where the wood chips and sawdust rarely get near.  I just have to figure out what it should be.

Then I had the grand idea to solicit ideas from the forum... who better to ask than those who have been building models.

So my question is, what would you wish for in a modelling table?

Remember, all wood storage, cutting and shaping is done elsewhere.

The sky is the limit... think outside the box!

My short list

1. comfortable height (possibly adjustable) to allow standing or sitting at.

2. model holding portion of table top can rotate and lock in any position

3. table top is large enough to accommodate any size model

4. good lighting

5. trays to put tools / parts down into to keep the table top clear

6. place to pin up reference drawings / sketches / photos ... possibly magnets (not pins)

7. possible to "close it all up" when I'm done for the day to keep the dust out/ off the model

8. possibly the table top could tilt towards me 15° to 30° 

Your turn... and if it is something you've already got that is the best idea since sliced bread i'd love to read or better yet see it (post a picture)..

... and THANK YOU!

I rarely get an opportunity to do something right the first time. This might just be one of them.

Alan

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Before Sjors gets a chance ... what about a space for his Popcorn Machine ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I'll add one requirement to your 'short list' -----  electrical outlets in the ceiling to bring small power items temporarily into play without having cords all over the bench.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Popcorn?   :huh:

Power outlets!    :)

Hadn't thought of that.

Thanks

Working up a preliminary sketch... might post something in a few days for comments.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Forget the swivel top, walk around it instead. If you tilt the top, which may be handy,  you will need a separate  tool table on wheels so you can easily take it with you as you travel around the main table, might put some sort of a fold down seat on the tool table that allows sitting at the required height. If you have air, run a line in there with your overhead wiring, lights and vacuum, all offset from the table at one place, close but clear of the table. That should be enough to cause you to rub a bald spot in your hair. :rolleyes:

jud

Edited by jud

I have to go along with Jud ....... make it a walk around bench.  But I have seen some 'lazy susan' arrangements here on MSW.  The problem with a walk-around (I have one) is that the plans are up on the wall but some feet away.  Vacuum line is a great idea. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I have a walk around table with a backless and armless computer swivel chair in the work room and it can sometimes be quite uncomfortable for reaching and sometimes I just have to stand up for comfort and then I'm stooping over.

I also use a higher stool to try to find some comfortable position at the low table and high workbench I have in there.

I created a sketch during my lunch so you can get a better idea of what I'm thinking of

dimensions are Imperial and metric (in inches and [mm] )

4' x 8' sheet forms the table top

table mounted up against the wall

table top can raise any distance up to 15" higher so I can stand at it if I wish

lift counterweighted and height adjustments lock with simple pin

model mounts on offset centre to bring it closer to the front for a shorter reach

model will rotate 360° on horizontal axis

mounting table can rotate (tilt) towards or away from me up to possibly 45° (although I show 30°) to get easy comfortable access to under the hull or the deck

haven't sketched supporting structure, etc as yet.

still forming the idea

(CORRECTED THE SPELLING ERROR ON THE SKETCH)

MODELING DESK SKETCH.pdf

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Be sure to add plenty drawers, big ones for drawings, shallow ones for tools. If space isn't an issue make more that you think you'll need and you'll probably end up with just enough

post-20-0-00199500-1397495689.jpeg

post-20-0-08450800-1397495690.jpeg

post-20-0-12682700-1397495691.jpeg

post-20-0-62465500-1397495692_thumb.jpeg

And check the thread with all the members's workshops, you catch some ideas there too.

Remco

Edited by Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Alas, I have to create saw dust in the same area where I do the ship rigging. But one thing I did right. I used part of sheet of 3/4 inch particle board covered with a white laminate for the table top. It gave me a really hard and flat surface and I can find little pieces real easily. In fact. I even painted the floor around the table white also.

Instead of an island, my main work area is a peninsula with lots of tool storage underneath (similar to what Remco showed above). This gives me access to at least three sides of the model and some place to put tools and supplies towards the wall on top of the workbench.

In a way I wished I had incorporated some kind of 'Lazy Susan', or turn table, because I have turned the model around soooo many times during the rigging. But then again, I use this space for other projects that are more 'rigid'. Meanwhile I just have to continue turning the base and duck every time it comes around.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Guest EricD

I don't have much new to add but I've tried a tilted surface and found it was more frustrating than helpful because nothing stays where you want it.  You can't have enough electrical outlets and its nice to have a small side table for your drink or snack if  you like to eat on the job and don't want to spill anything.  I have three different heights of stools depending on what I'm doing (e.g, high stool for rigging, lower for planking).  Also, if it's possible, its nice to have floor covering that helps you find the small parts you inevitably drop on the floor.  I have a portable lazy susan that I only use for rigging because it makes it easier to do the frequent turns of the model.  I don't use it when I'm doing more heavy duty work because it's not stable enough.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

I just spent a half hour looking over "show us your work space" (very inspirational) at

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6415-show-us-your-workbench-work-area

and I am now convinced I am on the right track to keep the mess in the adjacent work room.

Add to my short list

- proper lighting / illumination

- adequate power outlets over head

- adequate storage

- possibly a flip up wing table for reference books, sketches, bits and pieces or even pop corn

- may be a cup holder

- white flooring  to find dropped pieces

I've been mulling over the counterweight assembly in my head and am  thinking of my old draughting board versus a pulley and cable lift base design we didn't use on an industrial design done years ago (we used jack screws instead ...  but it was a few tons of load).  Leaning towards the cable and pulley.

If I can (time permitting) I'll freehand sketch something at lunch and post it.

Alan

Alan O'Neill

On the seating, I picked up an adjustable stool that works like a screw jack.  Can go up and down about 8" but it needs to be sturdy.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Height adjustment (with stability) would be a big plus in a work table. I find that the proper height for hull work is generally too high for rigging. I find myself standing a lot to rig. Full walk-around access a big plus as well. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Attached PDF is a hand sketch of the pulley and counterweight concept.

I would consider using clean beach sand in a container as the counterweight as it is easy to add/drain to tune the balance (1cubic foot = about 168 pounds) so adjustment is practically effortless.

Possibly lock the desk top it in place at the selected elevation (0 to 15") with a lever arm and pin on each side?

Pulleys and cable all concealed in side walls and overhead valance.

I will have to make up some proper drawings to build from.

pulley sketch.pdf

Alan O'Neill

I use an old typewriter table to finish up and rig the ship, I can roll it around and position it and with a roll around chair it works pretty good. Only problem is the height. Can't lower it enough to rig the tops . BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

I was downstairs with the tape measure last night eye balling things and I believe the darn table top will be much too big for the space.

Definitely need to start a scale drawing too get a better handle on the sizing.

Alan O'Neill

AON, have you looked on a lifting mechanisms for office tables? Much better solution then a system of pulleys.

Google "office lifting table", you can buy the "legs" with motors and controller separately from the table itself.

I have one of those in the office, quite a handy thing. Handles a big weight, even if the weight is located on one side of the table.

We have three at the office and they seem awfully expensive for something so simple

Plus I want it cabinet like, to close up when I'm done for the day so I'd have to build around it anyway.

Having said that ... I should take a fresh look at it

Alan O'Neill

I believe need to go through some distributorship to purchase one.

Well I've done a web search and prices vary $US470 for a bare bones crank frame that they won't ship to Canada and onwards up to $US769, $US940, $CDN1439

If you have a better source I'd love to have it.

Alan O'Neill

132 USD in http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24V-500mm-stroke-lift-column-Telescopic-Pillars/1580588570.html, for example.

Plus shipping, that could be organized through various resellers.

And lots of lots in a 300 USD range.

But you are right, it's definitely not a cheap solution.

Edited by Mike Y

Thank you - I would have never found this.

as Sgt. Shultz would say ... Very interesting

almost 20" lift (25.6 to 45.3 inch)

180 lb capacity

1-1/2" lift/lower per second

24Vdc

$350 Cdn (incl shipping) for a pair with controller

hmmmm.................................

Alan O'Neill

not a very good endorsement :(

just lost that warm and fuzzy feeling  :o

Alan O'Neill

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Aon,

Where did you find the $470 frame? I'd like to look at it.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi Everyone.

When I built my bench (2'W x 5'L x 37" H) I put heavy duty casters on it. When needed I roll the bench out into the garage (normally it's against a wall), set the locks on the casters and then I can easily walk around the bench. I use a drafting stool with this bench and a mechanic's hydraulic roll around seat.

Wally