Royal William by Denis R - Euromodel - Scale 1:72

Lol, I heard a rumour that you had bought one! A little bird told me!

I received my Royal William a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting to complete my current model and then move on to this. I might give you a head start, so that I can learn from your mistakes!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi all

Royal William.

My first impression is that the quality of the materials are excellent, the castings are also well made, not a lot of work to be done on them.

I have had two extra sets of plans made, one set I have had laminated so I can use a marker pen on them and I can wipe it off as necessary.

What did please me was that the plans were rolled and not folded.

The cost of the plans and laminating came to $500nz, it was the laminating that cost the most as the plans are large.

Time now to have a long read and study of the plans.

Will have to wait till the admiral goes out before I can have a play with her ha ha.

Denis.

post-303-0-14008800-1403497522_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-04141700-1403497538_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-31120400-1403497553_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-24132900-1403497577_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-24769000-1403497596_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-44273000-1403497614_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-03686200-1403497627_thumb.jpg

Hello Denis!

I can't wait to see what someone with your skills (and new toys) can accomplish with a ship as beautiful as this one, particularly after what I have seen in your Sovereign of the Seas!  And I am so very happy that I am lucky enough to watch from the very first steps and have my pencil and paper ready to take notes and learn as you go!

Very much looking forward to seeing what you can do with this kit Denis.  Beautiful ship, great kit, and skilled modeler all make a wonderful combination for greatness.  I'm subscribed :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Denis,

I was anticipating this new build log. :)  No cheating now! You have to finish the SOS first. Those were the Admiral's orders as I recall. :P Since we built the SOS together, I am really looking forward to building the RW with you. We really learned a lot from each other by swapping stuff as we went along.

Vince P.

Hi Vince

The Admiral has got the ankle chains out ready to put on me + the cat of 9 tails ( but thinking of sending her on a long weekends holiday ) what do you think :D  :D;)  ;) . 

Denis,

Hi Denis and Vince,Starting out right with two of the same kits will create the  confidence,to quickly share ideas,problems,and be more pleasurable just as the Niagara modelers, must have felt,like being in one room,fairly instant answers depending a little on time zones,You are both teachers and learners,hope you have lots of chairs,beer etc,Your logs will be interesting to a large crowd,booking seats for two(Urmilla)Edwin

Hi Denis,

I hope you don't mind my pulling up a chair.  I'll be tagging along on this journey.  post-76-0-46087600-1403756743.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Denis,

I hope you don't mind my pulling up a chair.  I'll be tagging along on this journey.  attachicon.gifm1242.gif

Hi Mark

You are more than welcome to pull up a chair, just give me a week or two.

Denis

Hi Denis and Vince,Starting out right with two of the same kits will create the  confidence,to quickly share ideas,problems,and be more pleasurable just as the Niagara modelers, must have felt,like being in one room,fairly instant answers depending a little on time zones,You are both teachers and learners,hope you have lots of chairs,beer etc,Your logs will be interesting to a large crowd,booking seats for two(Urmilla)Edwin

Hi Edwin and Urmilla

Thank you for them words but I think I am learner more that a teacher.

Yes the old team back together.

Denis

• 2 weeks later...

Denis, same with me, I will be sitting by watching.  I have this kit on the bench, (with five others, partially done), and have completed the basic carcass assembly, I look forward to your progress as this kit is pretty advanced for me, and there are several parts that I foresee having trouble with.

Sir Charles Edward

Current build:  Montanes by OcCre;

Pending Builds:  Sao Miguel by Mamoli;

Albatross by Constructo;

Albatross by OcCre;

Wappen von Hamburg by Corel;

Royal William by Euromodel;

Past Builds:  Santa Maria by Mantua;

Half Moon by Corel;

Golden HInd & Yacht Mary by Mamoli;

Sharke by Sergal;

Dallas & Scottish Maid by Artesania Latina.

On the shelf in boxes:  Berlin by Corel;

Royal Louis by Mamoli;

Nuestra Senora del Pilar by OcCre

HI Denis..... looking forward to another outstanding build from you, must be nice to work with a nice quality kit !!.

I'll have to try that sometime!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

i await the start of this build, but very pleased you are doing what so many are unable to do, and that is not have more than one build going on at the same time, the SOS looks brilliant as will this build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 weeks later...

your mention of this new endeavor brought me to give a look see........stunning contents! ;) I'm sure you'll have a really nice time with this build.....you've acquired many techniques to do so. I did notice that on the flag sheet, the word Mordaunt......there is a ship by this name. could this kit be built to be either one of these ships? if so.....this will be the first kit that I've seen that can be built into more than one ship. of course, any kit can be done in this fashion, if the ship in mind has the same hull construction. as I've found, with slight modifications, it can be done......fitting her out can easily be done with a little research. in seeing what you have done with the S.O.S., and her upcoming conclusion, I'll look forward to your start of this fine ship :) no doubt, another fantastic build ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

this is a feature...so far, only found in plastic kits. I used to enjoy buying these kits that had variants included. I used to save all the spare parts and decals......heaven help the model that I became discontented with ;) I don't think we'll see that happening in wood kits, much beyond flag sheets though....I would think that would influence the cost effectiveness. wood, photo etch, brass and wood fittings are counted and monitored to suit the kit subject {although, photo etch might also be an exception}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Hi Denis,

I am very excited to see your first pics of the build and to read about your expierences with a Euro Model kit. I will also do a Euro Model soon (when I finished the Royal Caroline, but this will need some more time than I thought) and I am very interested in this company. I saw the pics of the parts in the box - they look very well. And the plans are some kind of lgendary for their qualitiy and details.

I will follow your log...

Best wishes

Max

BTW - I dont dare to build two model at the same time... :)

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi Max

Thank you.

I do hope you will build an Euro kit soon.

I think the kit is of good quality , as I see it its 50% kit and 50% scratch build.

Denis

• 2 weeks later...