Scotland by sygreen - Corel - Scale 1:64 - First wooden build

Hi everyone,

I have decided to start my model shipbuilding life with this Baltic ship model. I have no previous experience in any modeling but want to use this ship to work on my building skills

ANY AND ALL HELP would be appreciated. I have been reading the blogs on this website and followed a few build logs.

I hope all of you will not  be bored with some of my basic questions . I will probably look ill informed (which I am) and may not use proper terminology so please help me with that.

I will follow this up with my first pictures as I am trying to fit the frames on the keel.

Thanks for your help

Attached are pictures of the framing they are not yet glued

I have a question about the height of the frames. I am assuming that the height of most of them should be even with the keel. However, the 2 that are higher, how do I determine their height?

I am using the Fair-a-frame building jig the square the frames. However, the keel is too small and narrow to fit. Is this a good building jig to use. How do I fit the keel on the stand if it too narrow? Also the frames when fitted are too too long to fit using the frame, what do I do?

post-11098-0-90825300-1405631181_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-32648500-1405631195_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-21339900-1405631215_thumb.jpg

I used the same fair a frame when I was starting and you should be able to slide the bar over to be snug with the bulkhead former. Also make sure to check that the bulkheads and bulkhead former (what I think your calling the keel) are straight without any warping. (It looks like its warped a little in the 1st picture) I'm not familiar with Corel kits but typically the top edges of the bulkheads should be flush with the top of the bulkhead former. I would check the plans and overlay it if there is a plan view.

When dry fitting your bulkheads check and make sure they fit at perpendicular to the former. If its too tight it will twist the bulkhead.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Edited by kscadman

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Match the two bulkheads with plans in the book. You will have to adjust them so they balance out. These two make up the core of what will be the deck house. You'll. find with this kit a lot of the hull parts will need to be filed And sanded to get the first layer of planking to go well.

I'm at the painting stage with this kit right now so I'd be happy to offer advice I can.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Thanks cdogg,

I have been reading your build log and I see it will a lot as I go along

I happen to figure out quickly that my file set came in very handy to fit the bulkheads on the former. The pictures show them loose after filing so they are not yet perpindicular. I hope I did not make them too loose but I think glueing will take care of it.

I used wood glue very generously and clamps get them straight. It worked pretty well.

Also, if I could go,back in time I would really try to use balsa filler blocks on the bow and stern. The first layer of planking is tough at the ends and the stern is a little tricky to get formed correctly using the bulkheads

Hope this helps!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I just finished gluing the deck to the frame. Pictures coming . I had a bit of a problem aligning the deck with the stern. When I shaved pieces off the port side  of the deck at the opening for the frames of the deckhouse, the extra room allow me to align it perfectly.

I ended up putting balsa fillers between the frames in every space but the frames for the deckhouse.

Hi Fishface,

you should go into the new build log section of this website and start a new build log for your model. In that section you will find a post that explains how to properly name your build log. That way you can post questions and pictures of your model for all of us to see and comment on.

As far as tools , I suggest you get a good set of files , as you will need them to fit the bulkhead frames properly on on the bulkhead former as my pictures show

Just sign in to your account with model expo. Go to customer service (at the bottom of the page) then go to tech support then parts request then you can tell them what part you need.

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Hey sygreen, Nice build log, I just started mine too. 

I have a part that looks like 17 but is longer in my kit. Maybe we are supposed to cut it in two? 

By the way, was part 12 (the walnut strip you glued to the keel) already tapered/rounded at the front when u you glued it or did you do that yourself? I'm assuming you have to cut it also to fit it on the stern? 

If so how did you round it like that? 

Edited by harbm

oo how exciting there are a few of us!! I have files; sandpaper; clamps and knives! Will start a build log...the bits on the keel I cut from what I think were the right bits but instructions/numbering could be better so it was something of a guess...

Sygreen, #17 is a piece about 3 inches long that looks like something you would use as a wall crown molding. You have to cut it into two pieces and size them to fit the stern. Should be there somewhere. But, your in luck, you can actually use balsa wood to recreate these pieces. They are only pieces to help form the shape of the stern, you don't see them after planking.

Also, from my experience Model Expo will give the number to Corel. One of my complaints I wrote to the owner of Model Expo here on MSW is that they need to be more accountable for their import ship kits they sell here.

Best of luck.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Yes, my kit has 2 pieces on each  side and are going to be a real pain to keep the shape correct.

On my #17 piece, if I have to make it from scratch do you have any idea how I get the curve right??

Sy

I have the same problem as you. I think for number 15, you can adjust it just by cutting away just the right amount from the flat part so that it doesn't clear the deck anymore. That's definitely easier than trying to shape the actual curved part with a file or something. 

Maybe cdogg has a good idea to shape #17 though, I don't. 

Yes

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift