Wasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Corel - scale 1:75 (Vasa)

I have decided to continue on with the Corel version of the Vasa which I started about a year and a half ago.I got as far as the first planking done & set it aside while I continued working on the Sergal kit. I have fixed a couple of things so far. I re-sized the upper row of gunports as I cut them too big to start with :huh: . Also I the slant to the companionway roofs - the kit had them flat. I also re-did the lower stern to be more square.One more thing I noticed after glueing on the false deck was there were no openings for the knighthead behind the main mast or the ladder behind the fore mast so I had to make them.

post-4600-0-84533400-1410485196_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-83627300-1410485226_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-18692500-1410485259_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-12525600-1410485288_thumb.jpg

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Matti - I really like the look & wonkyness of this ship & will change some things as I go along. With this kit being about half the size of the Sergal kit it will be a challenge.

Joe - thanks much for your nice comment.

I am currently starting on the second planking & intend to show some of the scarph joints in the planking - not all of them - just too many. After looking at the planking lay out on a sketch from Fred at the museum it`s too difficult to make all of them at this scale.

/Mark

Mark,

NICE re-start.

Well you can certainly remove the Corel kit errors by following those of us whom have dealt with these as we have gone along. Excellent - you have already altered the stern, adjusted companion way roof lines, etc..this will be a very nice build. Enjoy

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hola Mark:

That is true love for a ship!!  But for the other hand its interesting to see the differences in both kits.

Saludos, Karl

Hello Karl

Yes I do like this ship but the the main reason I`m continuing on with it is seeing the poor thing sitting there half started as I walk by it every day :P. I can tell you the differences between the Corel & Sergal kits are quite large. The biggest differences are the figures - Sergal`s are pretty good & Corel`s are somewhat poorer. Sergal`s are brass or bronze so you can tweak them a little if needed.Corel`s are plated pot metal I think - they can`t be bent or they will just snap in two. Some of them are already broken in the package just from shipping :(.

/Mark

Mark,

I was thinking about your Corel resurrection, along with all of the errors that are built into this otherwise nice kit.

And then I thought of this big error. The lower galleries are not properly scaled so that the lower, most rearward, bobbinet turret tops slightly overlap the lower portion of the upper galleries. See my pic as well as the 1/10th for comparisons.

Based on the size of the stern soldiers as well as the stern windows it would, it seems to me, impossible to scale this area correctly.

I have not seen a Corel Vasa build that has gotten it “figured out”, food for thought on your current build J

PS: I did not mean to add one of my pics on your build log, but only using this single pic as an example of this issue J

Your work is so excellent; it will be fun to follow along…

PS: as has been posted your first planking is - well so perfect..

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-42156000-1410739422_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-72176600-1410739436_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks for your observation on the galleries. I am aware of the issue with the turret top on the lower gallery & am going to try and fix it  :).  I was thinking about building the upper galleries first & try to make some adjustments on the lowers. The biggest problem I see is if the lower turret is moved out too far there will be too large of a gap between the turret & the side of the ship :o. I will have to think about that one for a while. Pictures are always welcome to illustrate an issue. By the way Sergal`s fix for this was to actually mold a notch in the casting where it comes up against the upper gallery :huh:.

regards,Mark

Beautiful work.  I too had issues with the back lower turret in the Billings kit.  Lots of reshaping required.  It's interesting to see how two manufacturers (Billings and Corel) interpret the same ship differently - I wonder what the design process was like.  What I'd love to see is 3D scans of the original ship used to create something really accurate, but I'm sure cost would be prohibitive.

mark

Nice to see your second Vasa here Mark.

As all good things you should do them twice to learn  ;)

with the figures you are correct, you should handle these very carefull, special the figures you have to remove from their supports.

you have noticed in the other builds of the Corel kit of course already several mistakes.

maybe we can together inform Corel how to modify this kit for the future  :dancetl6: so that all new generation Vasa builders can finally select more kit manufactures with correct kits. how difficult can this be with a great example in Stockholm

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Thanks Mark & Jan

I would imagine to update the kits to be more accurate would cost more money than the manufacturers would like to spend.What would be the fun if we didn`t have to fix them?There was mentioned on the Vasa forum a while back about someone wanting to do a 3D scan to possibly design a new kit.

/Mark

Mark,

Just an other (last) thought, but looking at the 1/10th it appears as though the turret rises up a bit more with a narrower spire. If you were to add one thinner upper row of circumference planking then the turret decorative piece might reach up to where it should be. But then your decorative pieces might be too short hmmmm

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael - thanks for your thoughts.I think that anything I do will be a compromise. I had hoped to get Billing`s better figures  to mix & match with Corel`s but they are not available separate from the kit. :( At this point I will probably be more concerned with construction details than accuracy of the figures.Thinking about it maybe all 3 Vasa kit manufacturers could get together & make one nice kit as a joint project!

Not likely. :)

/Mark

A little update - decided to start the second planking. I chose not to use the supplied mahogany planking below the lower whales. I had some leftover walnut from another kit & decided to use it.the planking on the real ship is varied with all kinds of different length & width planks with lots of scarph joints so I thought I would show some of them - not all - there`s just too many.The planking at the bow is especially odd with lots of odd shaped short planks.

post-4600-0-30307000-1411441175_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-90761700-1411441196_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-46897600-1411441222_thumb.jpg

As odd as the bow planking is there are only 2 stealers at the stern!

/Mark

Thanks Edwin - there is no finish applied yet so the color will probably change some.Still debating whether to show the hull nailing. I don`t think they used treenails on this ship. Even the decking was installed with metal nails - not treenails.

Hello everyone

Here`s where i`m at - continued planking up to the position of the uppermost whale. I decided to do some nailing on the hull planks.There seems to be no pattern to the nailing on the real ship so I followed no pattern to my nailing.The nails I am using are actually model railroad items called micro spikes.They are really small - used a #77 drill bit to drill the holes. I didn`t want it to look like it had the measles so I used the smallest "nails" I could find. It may be overkill as they are hard to see at more than about a foot away.

post-4600-0-20156900-1412209531_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-42338700-1412209549_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-46073700-1412209568_thumb.jpg

/Mark

Hola Mark:

Your nailing looks really nice, probably I could do the same to mine Vasa.

Saludos, Karl

Thanks Frank - I figure there will be about 3000 of them by the time I`m finished. I bought out the stock at the local hobby store  :o so I will have to wait a little while until their stock is replenished. I also have some slightly larger round headed nails to use on the whales.

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Your planking nails look beautiful.  I thought about doing the same but couldn't deal with the repetition of installing 3000 of the little guys.  I think you're right though - if you use a darker stain you won't see the nails unless you looking very closely.  Still, you will know you got the detail right.

mark

MArk,

Very nice work on your hull planking, gun port framings and your nails. Looks very good. I also used the rail ties, but I did not cut them. Did you blacken the tips? Looks excellent.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Mark, It's easy to tell that your happy about the nailing,thats how it was built giving you a more fulfilled feeling about your efforts,you do good work. Could you pass on the info for getting these nails,ie size,product name, and where to buy ,again your planking is first class.Edwin.