Largest Model

GM2SW

Hey, I'm just curious as to what the largest kit model would be.  It would be great if there was some in the 50-60" (1270-1524mm) range.  I think my "ultimate kit" build before starting a scratch build would be something large scale.  As far as I know the HMS Victory and HMS Surprise by Artesania Latina are the biggest prefabricated kits (both around 1250-1300mm long).  There's always the famed USS Constitution, which is around 900-ish mm.  Any ideas, and specifically, for the kits mentioned, sources of best quality parts and instructions (Artesania Latina is terrible at English translations ((thank God for pictures)).

Edited by GM2SW

Billings boats has a Titanic that measures about 1800mm.

Edited by puckotred

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Large is relative.  Are you speaking of final size or scale?  The larger the scale, the easier it is to detail.  For example, a 1:48 Surprise or Victory is large but not as large (final size) as a 1:200 Bismarck. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Puckotred - I do like that vessel, but not so keen on the RC portion (lots of wasted dollars for me just to build a static model).  Though it is very nice.  Thank you!

Mtaylor - Hmm, I definitely see where you are coming from.  I honestly haven't given it that much though.  I do like the idea of a large scale vessel for the ease of detail (and most likely will head in that direction), but there is something about finishing a model that takes up the entire mantel that just makes it seem so perfect.  Who knows, maybe one day, I'll just build a real ship haha.  Thank you for your input.  Any idea as to the largest SCALE model available for kit build?

I would give serious consideration to waiting for Amati's Victory to hit the shelves in 1/64.This will certainly 'trump' all others as the leviathan of model ship kits.There is also the fact this will probably be one of the most advanced wooden kits on the market when it is released.It's development is shown in the Amati and Chris watton thread if you haven't seen it already.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

Your post got me very interested and I found this, a comprehensive look at the kit in development. Looks to be awesome. I'm sure that some of you may have already seen this pdf......but in case not, here is the link.

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org/misc/VictoryKitResearchWatton.pdf

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi All,

I thought the comment from GM2SW interesting. I don't agree the the the larger the scale the easier the detail. While it may seem that a large scale provides the opportunity for greater detail, it also requires that the detail be more accurately rendered. At a smaller scale you can get by with a more impressionistic reproduction, larger scales allow for greater scrutiny.

What you gain on one hand you lose on the the other.

Best,

Steve

As a big boat modeler (links below) I just had to stick my nose into this conversation.

As for kits, the Emma C Berry as a schooner and the yacht America are about 4 foot long and though meant to sail, can be built as static models.  They aren't very detailed, but they can be.

There's a few kits on simple boats, Skipjack, Muscungus Bay Sloop, Sharpie Schooner, etc that can be enlarged to what ever size you like.  Trace the parts, get them enlarged, cut them out and follow the instructions for the kit.

If you're looking for a very large sized model like 5 or 6 foot on deck, I don't think there's any kits out there, and you'll have to go scratch - like I did.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Brian, the Warrior is a beaut, but the fact that the primary reason it was build had to do with a pissing contest with France is hilarious.  She looks like a fun build.  The more i look into all of these, the more I realize that I may go for one of the Chris Watton designs.  I'd love the Bismarck one day, but boy is that a pricey endeavor.

pricey Endeavour? It should would be, you would have to throw it all away and build the brig from another kit as nothing will fit on it  :cheers:   ha ha ha

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍