HMS Victory by Davesellindge - Constructo - Scale 1:94 - first build

I have made a start on my model after reading the instructions over and over again. I have also been following Paul's build and already had good advice and help from him. His photos are also very helpful far better than those supplied. When attaching the

gun rails I put wedges in the top of the slots to hold them down on the bottom before gluing.

post-15227-0-02904000-1411368615_thumb.jpg

looking good so far lots of great poeple on  the msw if u need just take your time no need to rush it keep up the great work

Have done a bit more, I am working on the next deck, have cut 48 planks and corked them. Whilst fitting the deck I had a minor accident and broke the top of one of the bulwarks. Managed to glue it back and it seems solid. Got my paint and oil stain today so oiled the lower decks and painted the gun boards. While that is drying I have made a start on cutting out the stairs and hatches

post-15227-0-87000300-1411664456_thumb.jpg

Hi , in reply to your message, I used paper for the back with black marker and put the frames on. If you look close the wood below is also raised using the supplied vaneer strips, I just shanferred the edges, amd added a little trim between. Oh and don't do what I did, that's instal the poop deck first and then decide to put in windows, then spend hours squeezing throught the gap between both decks.

post-11858-0-43358900-1412246543_thumb.jpg

post-11858-0-42045900-1412251812_thumb.jpg

Have just finished putting a thin coat of oil on deck unfortunately I put to much corking on the edge of the planks and when I sandpapered it I ended up with a grey mess on the deck.I tried to get off as much as I could without sanding the planks to nothing, I shell see what it looks like when dry and perhaps try sanding it again.

post-15227-0-94461300-1412353686_thumb.jpg

post-15227-0-70180900-1412353703_thumb.jpg

Have made up my mind to continue with pencil for corking have fitted gratings and stairs, prepared top deck I found when planking the planks when drying curl slightly on the edges on the main deck I wanted to get the starter ones flat and hopefully get a good alignment for later. The reason for putting them on before the deck I was able to get clamps on them.

post-15227-0-58251700-1412606542_thumb.jpg

post-15227-0-98238100-1412606557_thumb.jpg

post-15227-0-25609100-1412606570_thumb.jpg

Greetings David

Well done , it's going really well. I note your discussions about the caulking of the planks. Using a pencil, black cotton , etc. Cotton can look to much in your face if you follow, and it can be a problem when sanding the deck. You can try just laying the planks up against each other, but not tight, and you will get the effect which you can see on the photo with no caulking at all. Good luck with your build. DAVID

post-96-0-92579200-1412620589_thumb.jpg

Looking good mate, I'm going to pass on a few problems in a bid to prevent you suffering the same and like me wasting wood and time making parts due to bad ilustrations / manual. I have come to the conclusion that Constructo never actually sent anyone to the uk to study the real ship before they made this kit and thought that will do, close enough.

First the image posted shows the position of the curved rail (128) for the canons to protude, these are to be 22mm from the sides, per instructions but doing this puts them in the right position of the real ship but the diagram in the manual shows them far further out from the centre (pic 70) clearly they never followed there own instructions.

Other issue so far - Pic 69 item 126.... ok, they tell us the measurement for this which is 20mm long, they also show it shaped on the top and a slight taper to the bottom, Please fit the rail post 127 (pic 70) before you make these, then dry fit the rail 130 (pic 71) and then cut the shaped top to be just above the rail. I didnt have the right info and did it as per manual and...... you guessed the post needed taking off as mine ended up to low / below the rail. I have sent picture 78 which shows where they want us to fit the curved rail which is half over the quarter galleries, this is not correct on the real ship, they are further to the centre of the deck.

post-11858-0-93890000-1413639239_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul0367

Thank you Paul for the time and information on helping me, I thought I would be clever on the poop deck windows I tried cutting out holes and putting in window frames what a mess spent nearly five days on them. I have started again and I am copying yours and its looking much better will post photo's of both when done. Again in the photos in the manuel it shows them set in from the edge of the deck but I noticed you have them flush which makes sense as the side planking would not fit

Progress is slow on the planking but always worth the time, remember to take some off the inside top and bottom edge of the planks when on the curved sections this will enable the planks to sit close closing the gap a curve would cause. This is not quite as important if painting as filla will cover any gaps not to mention copper bottom if your going down that route

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting there still got the edges to trim where the stern post and the front fit as I overlapped the planks rather than try cutting them when I was putting them on. Whilst waiting for the glue to dry I work on the family tree on Ancestry so I keep occupied all the time. As it seems it might look okay, and I am going to paint it I might just oil the bottom below the water line.

Edited by Davesellindge

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...