KW49, Antje 1959 by Kees de Mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75 - Dutch side trawler

Hi all,

When I went looking for a new ship to build, I got a picture from my grandfather who looked through the window of a ship's bridge in his younger years. Unfortunately my grandfather deceased at a very young age. It seemed beautiful to build a ship where he sailed on. An uncle of mine then indicated they would like to have a model of the 49 KW, Antje in 1959. My grandfather has been a fisherman on this ship and my uncle went with him several times as a kid. I have nothing promised to him but I started to look for information.

KW49brug_zps768c2097.jpg

addffafd_zps89e0f52b.jpg

First, I came across a book with the following information to

N.V. Viss. Me. Kennemerland
Dageraad Woubrugge Year 1959
43,96 x 7:34 x 3.54 Capacity 291 Brt

07.18.1959 trial and transfer
1969 made suitable for beam trawling
1972 TX 46 Antje eig. P v.d. Vis
Sold in 1974 to Argentina is San Lucas

HenkvdPlas_0004_zpsa448e2c8.jpg

Unfortunately, there was further found little information on hand to be so I'm on several facebook pages and forums calls going to do if someone had more information, pictures or drawings. Immediately there were people who wanted to help me. They often had not the requested information but they knew people who had sailed on the ship. Unfortunately, many people already deceased but I managed to find a few people out after a lot of phone calls and mail, and some also had pictures.

HenkvdPlas_0007_zpsba18ae2e.jpg

At the wharf The Dageraad

KW49bijDageraad_zpsd5566705.jpg

During the trial
proefvaart_zps5f754ee1.jpg

I finally managed to get to 32 original photographs of the KW 49 and I am very happy with it. Luckily I met a man who had sailed on the VL 16, a ship that was similar to the KW 49 He had a lot of pictures for me and even in color.

The VL 16]IMG_0019_zps47e3938e.jpg

The TX46 (formerly KW 49
)

10525952_511102869023064_777668584856667

Drawings showed a different story. Several museums I have been called and talked to a lot of people, to heirs of the builder but no one knows where the drawings have remained. Well, I discovered that there were things from the yard (Dageraad in Woubrugge) in the National Archives in The Hague. I went through here, but unfortunately only found a contract, no drawings. Some time later I was contacted by a gentleman who did not have the original drawings but drawings of similar trawlers. He has sent me and it will definitely help me to build the Trawler The final line plan I have compiled from a line plan of a Belgian trawler that I got from a helpful fellow modeller

The National Archives in The Hague
IMG_20140710_111022_zpsd8cb2597.jpg

IMG_20140710_105343_zps4f617907.jpg

The final line plan
LijnenplanKW49uiteindelijk_zps4214de6a.j

A general plan of a similar trawler
scan713_zpsfb6f907c.jpg

Besides I have a lot of photos gathered from similar trawlers from that time so I always have a useful picture for details. Obviously, I can always go to former crew members to ask them how to build something

the purchase contract
IMG_20140710_110822_zps175c6f2a.jpg

IMG_20140710_110856_zps6aaa4043.jpg

Meanwhile I have "enough" material to build, and as I said, I am so first started modifying a drawing. I then copied the drawing several times. I'm going to make the hull with the so-called pile construction method. This will come clear in the next updates This way you get a rough shape of the hull that you still need to smooth sanding. In the course of my report I will show you all the steps.

The model will be built in the 1/75 scale where it will have a length of about 58 cm.

The first steps

P1020405_zpsc45f482d.jpg

P1020407_zps230a4572.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Hoi Kees, that's one nice looking ship and a fitting tribute to your grandfather and uncle.  I didn't see the body plan in your lines drawings or didn't you show them?  

I'm looking forward in following this build.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Kees,

I love these trawlers, I am pulling up a chair to watch this one.  I would love to see more of the 32 photos you mentioned.

Edited by tarbrush

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Kees,

with your skill and your experience I`m sure you will build a model your grandfather would be proud of. Will be looking out for the keellaying soon....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I didn't see the body plan in your lines drawings or didn't you show them? 

Hello Piet. Thank you for your post. The lineplan I show is the only plan I use. In the last picture of my second post you can see what I do with it and in future posts it becomes more clear I think.

Regards, Kees

It is good you found so many pictures.  It will be a fine model.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

now is the test of your scratch building ability

It will be the burden I have to carry the next few months :(

Edited by kees de mol

I will be following along.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Today I have sawn the mulitple sections of the hull. After this I will glue them together and then it's time for sanding, sanding and more sanding. I keep the lineplan nearby to control myself while sanding and then I will have an accurate hullform.

P1020715_zps7543c26d.jpg

P1020717_zps31aaed0d.jpg

P1020716_zps959813e5.jpg

Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

Well what can I say.

I glued the sections together and added the topsection (wich is curved) and then I wanted to start sanding. But I had a bad feeling about it and started to measure everything again and compared it whit the plans I had. I turned out I had made a big mistake with making the drawings and the sections. The sections where not wide enough, they are arround 2 cm to short. That was a bummer :angry:

But in the meantime I recieved (unexpected) a really good lineplan wich I would not have to adjust. So I am still going strong and just started a new build. It will take some time but there will be a new update soon. This time with a good hull with good measurements :10_1_10:

Regards, Kees

Kees,

Lucky you found out now and not when you would have been half way down the line ... Glad you got that new lineplan, which makes me excited to see your next update

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

Today I sanded the new hull i made from mdf sections. The sanding went well and with the drawings and some photo's I managed to make a good shaped hull. Now I am going to finish the bull with some filler and sanding and then to the next step.

P1020762_zps73cfc864.jpg

P1020764_zps87b0c087.jpgP1020763_zps7f9d30c2.jpgP1020766_zpsc700708b.jpgP1020765_zps7975e755.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

This is a nice way of building a ship - quite something diffirent from bulkheads and planking.

Keep up the good work Kees!

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Hello Jan,

The white stuff is filler to fill the gap between the straight sections and the upper curved section. I will try to simulate the hull plating but it will be very difficult because I have very little refference material

glad I caught your build this early!  :)   my goodness..........looks a lot like the Nordkap!   Interesting way to build a hull.......very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've come a little further with the hull of the Antje. A solid hull, thats not wat I needed because the ship offcourse is hollow. To make a hollow hull I decided to go for vacuumforming. On the internet I searched for info and I made a vacuummachine. It didn't work in one try. The first time my vacuumboc imploded, the second time the styreen sheet came out of the frame but the tird try worked out well. I got a nicely shaped hollow hull. It is a little thin but I can solve that by gluing rinforcements on the inside or lay up some glasfibre. But the most important thing is, that I can go on now with the build! :cheers:

YouTube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYttdMcivDc

P1020769_zps09d9eda5.jpg

P1020770_zps75ff7edf.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Hi Kees,

Thanks for sharing this....

thats a very short but not less impressive Video of the vacuum shaping of the styrene plate.

What are you using as a heater in the heating box.... ?

With what styrene thickness have you achieved this result ?

Thats also a good Demonstrator to Keep in mind, in example for other vacuum molding objects

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Nils,

Thanks. I used 2 patio-heaters for heating the styreen.Like these things http://www.vandergun-zonwering.nl/voor-buiten/terrasoverkapping/terrasverwarmers-somfy.html and I used 1 mm styreen. Earlier I used 2mm but that dint want to soften enough. The hull is almost 60cm long but you can use this for smaller objects offcourse.

Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol