Flying Fish Yards - moved by moderator

Building The Flying Fish and not really an expert at all and have wet MD in both eyes so it is a bit rough going at times.

What I need to know and plans do not tell me. How long for lower Main Yard also Fore and Mizzen yards.

10 inches for all 3 lower masts just doesn't look right. Any one can help me.  Thank You

Hello Sam welcome to Model Ship World. I see this is your first post, congratulations. Flying Fish is a nice subject too. I did a quick web search and found this amazing treasure trove of information: http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/News/BDA/BDA(1851-11-04).html

According to this source, the Fore is 70', the Main is 80' and the Mizzen is 59' long.

You have not mentioned the scale of the version you are building but if you know the scale, you should be able to do some simple math and come up with the measurement in inches the model yards should be.

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hello JCFrankie. It is 1/8 I believe It is ModelShip ExpoKit. I have had it for years working on it little at a time.

Thank You for that website I will check it out This is third ship In last 20 years I will post a few pictures tomorrow Frankie. My center vision is totally gone in right eye and going in left eye and am working as fast as I can to complete them before vision is gone in both eyes. I have constructed all 3 masts and just started on the yards. Looks to me like all 3 lower yards want to be 10inches each looking at the prints not really saying the length should be  lets say Main 9.75" Fore 6" and aft 5.25" .  If you can check JCFrankie if those seem right. Flying Fish 1851.

Thank You for replying to my post also. I will check daily now to talk and ask questions.

Sam Gauthier

Sam -

I have this kit on the shelf awaiting the finish (someday) of my Bluenose build.  The scale is indeed 1/8" = 1 foot or 1:96 scale.  Using this scale with the info from the article JerseyCity Frankie provided, the fore yard is 8 3/4", the main is 10" and the mizzen is 7 3/8".

I am sorry to hear about your issues with MD and appreciate the time pressure that puts on you.  However if you have time to take some photos of your work and are willing to post them, I know you will get lots of support from the crew here at MSW.  There is a lot of interest in Clippers, and a few modelers here who are pretty expert on the subject.

Frankie - I checked my bookmarks to see if I needed to add this one - happy to say it was already there :)

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thank You Bob and I have been looking and those are correct. I do have some pictures I take with my iphone and I post them on facebook but now I need to figure out how to post them here.

I am building the FF and not following the paint scheme but instead doing it the way I like. Some mistakes because I don't see straight lines but are hard to find them.

I am a member of the VFW in Putnam, Ct by the way I see your from Conn. also.

Glad to have meet you Bob.

Nice to meet you too Sam - maybe we can do a face-to-face at the NRG conference in Mystic next year!

For posting photos I refer you to this article, which is much better than me trying to explain it all.  I don't know if the subject of posting from an iphone is covered but it probably is somewhere in the 7 pages of conversation on the subject.  If not if you post the question there, someone will surely respond in short order.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/540-how-to-add-pictures-in-your-posts-and-pms/

I hope this helps - looking forward to seeing those FF photos.

Bob

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thank You for the link Bob. I tried couple times no luck. I live in Cincinnati but go home to see in-laws in Woodstock and might make it. Have to get move on here as I am on way to eye doctors to get injection in eye. It stops bleeding for a few months then repeat process all over.post-13518-0-80623200-1414173364_thumb.jpg

Edited by Samgauthier

Sam - that is one good looking hull.  I just love those clipper lines.  I like the paint choices you have made too.  That red stripe certainly dresses her up.  Did I mention that the coppering jobs looks nice and clean too?  Thanks for sharing.

Bob