Help With Ratlines

I just started the ratlines of my Santa Maria model and am very unhappy with how they look. I don't know if I'm just being obsessive, but to me there are major problems.

I wasn't expecting this at all so I didn't prepare for it, but the ratlines seem to actually push the shrouds out to the sides so they don't make a straight line. I didn't consider that the strength of the string would be enough to change the alignment of the shrouds.

It could look worse, but to me it's very noticeable that the shrouds aren't straight. It's especially noticeable at the top, however I think this will be fixed a bit when I put a few more ratlines on.

I think one of my problems was that my shrouds weren't tight enough. I had issues when rigging them to get them really taught, and I think the looseness allowed them to become misaligned. Also, I notice that some people put up lined paper behind their shrouds to do the ratlines... I didn't think that was necessary as they were straight before the ratlines and didn't expect them to get pushed over.

Anyway... I don't know what I'm asking. I guess there's no way to fix this without redoing them? I would really prefer not to... and especially don't want to redo the shrouds (although I know they also start way too high up).

Other question... if I'm going to redo these, should I make the ratlines thinner?

post-1335-0-44616000-1436303834_thumb.jpg

Edited by mkmossop

Yes, this is a common problem, and shrouds can be pushed in as well as out of alignment if you are not diligent.  I would redo the ratlines, but maybe the shrouds are fine. Even super-taunt shrouds can be pushed in/out.  One approach is to use a card to mark the shroud positions and the expected ratline positions.  Then you can verify after each ratline that things are shipshape.  Also, if you do every other ratline, then fill in the gaps, it can be easier to maintain alignment.  

Robert 

Actually the ratlines were not straight ropes, but had a minor curve downwards, so don't be over zealous in having them perfectly straight. If you don't over tighten them, they will not pull the shrouds inwards.

Hope this is clear.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ratlines were significantly thinner than the shrouds, so I think you will be OK

cleats_on_shroud_.jpg

dsc9143sm.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Interesting... thanks for the pics.

I decided to redo the shrouds as well as the ratlines. I think it looks way better with the deadeyes closer together like this. Seeing how they were before looks kind of silly now.

Anyway, I did every fifth ratline, and that seems to have worked to help me keep things straight. I'll fill in the others tonight hopefully. The ratlines may be a tiny bit thick still, so I was thinking of waxing them to make them look thinner. What type of wax would I use to do that?

post-1335-0-09468900-1436822807_thumb.jpg

Beeswax is what is more recommended. I have my doubts that waxing the ropes will make them look thinner. And its nearly impossible to do that in already placed ratlines.

You were right before - placing behind a card with pencilled runs of the shrouds and ratlines helps a lot, not only to maintain equal space between ratlines, but also to maintain straight shrouds - if the ratlines are too taught, they will pull on and distort straight run of the shrouds - you will see it immediately, as compared with the pencilled shrouds on the card behind. So, I strongly recommend this card pattern. If it is pencilled on both sides, you can reverse it and use it on the other side - that way you'll get them perfectly symmetrical.

Also, using dark (black) colored thread for ratlines, instead of tan, will optically make them look thinner (even thogh they may not be). But, there is this issue, were ratlines black or tan?  I have seen both on the full size sailing vessels. So, you have to decide yourself.

Edited by Dziadeczek

I don't think it would make a huge difference, but maybe a little. It's like getting them wet... all the tiny fluff that comes off goes away and it looks a little thinner.

Anyway... why do you think it would be so difficult?

The way you do the waxing is pulling a piece of thread over a cake of wax. I don't see how you can do that to an already tied ratline, unless you know something I don't? ;)

shrouds look much better with shorter space between deadeyes.  

I agree about the waxing.  I wax the lines of the ship.  Don't know how you would go about waxing rigged lines.  Might actually cause damage if you try to do something with them rigged.

Thank you for the tips everyone. I think I'll redo them using thinner string, and will use some of the tips suggested. The next thinner thread I have is significantly thinner, so I hope it doesn't look silly. I'll post a pic when it's done.

Hi MK,

I am certain that thread is significantly cheaper than the value of your time. Go to a quilting or sewing shop and you will be able to buy exactly what you need for a couple of bucks.

Best, John

BTW. This link for a you tube showing how to tie rat lines was posted on MSW a while back. I think it's pretty good.

http://youtu.be/yMmGFWJhi8E

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

You were right before - placing behind a card with pencilled runs of the shrouds and ratlines helps a lot, not only to maintain equal space between ratlines, but also to maintain straight shrouds - if the ratlines are too taught, they will pull on and distort straight run of the shrouds - you will see it immediately, as compared with the pencilled shrouds on the card behind. So, I strongly recommend this card pattern.

Any tips on getting this done? I found it difficult to keep the paper in place while drawing lines along the shrouds. Any pressure whatsoever against the shrouds and they would move out of alignment.

The way you do the waxing is pulling a piece of thread over a cake of wax. I don't see how you can do that to an already tied ratline, unless you know something I don't? ;)

I just thought I would get some wax on my fingers and get it on the thread from there. Thinking about it though, I'm going to redo it again with thinner rope again.

Also, do people generally glue the clove hitch after tying it? I find the clove hitch on either of the outside shrouds always gets loose if I don't put some glue on it.

Edited by mkmossop

Here is an example, how to do it. I used miniature clothespins (from Michaels's or Hobby Lobby or similar place), or instead, you can use mini alligator clips from an electronic store, whatever is around you. After installing all ratlines, flip the card and mount it behind shrouds on the opposite side and start all over.

Have fun!  :)

Here is an example, how to do it. I used miniature clothespins (from Michaels's or Hobby Lobby or similar place), or instead, you can use mini alligator clips from an electronic store, whatever is around you. After installing all ratlines, flip the card and mount it behind shrouds on the opposite side and start all over.

Waxing the ratlines after installation is nearly impossible, so wax your line BEFORE.

post-6975-0-80973200-1436901859_thumb.jpg

post-6975-0-52812100-1436901883_thumb.jpg

For marking the shroud locations on the card, I just mark the tops and bottom position of each shroud, then remove the card and use a straight edge on the bench to make straight lines between the two marks for each shroud.

Also, do people generally glue the clove hitch after tying it? I find the clove hitch on either of the outside shrouds always gets loose if I don't put some glue on it.

I usually only glue the first and last knots. Rarely I need to put a drop of glue in some middle stubborn clove hitch. BTW I use FLAT Model Master varnish instead of glue. Dries flat and has just the right amount of strength to do the job. Diluted white glue would be my second choice. I NEVER use CA.

Waxing the ratlines after installation is nearly impossible, so wax your line BEFORE.

Clothespins... of course... why didn't I think of that. Thanks!

For marking the shroud locations on the card, I just mark the tops and bottom position of each shroud, then remove the card and use a straight edge on the bench to make straight lines between the two marks for each shroud.

Great tip... thank you :).

I usually only glue the first and last knots. Rarely I need to put a drop of glue in some middle stubborn clove hitch. BTW I use FLAT Model Master varnish instead of glue. Dries flat and has just the right amount of strength to do the job. Diluted white glue would be my second choice. I NEVER use CA.

Yes I was doing first and last as well. I may try the varnish since the glue tends to show a little bit.

Couple more questions...

1) What vertical spacing should you use between ratlines? I've basically just been doing what I thought looked good.

2) What angle should the ratlines be on? Should it be in line with the deck / railing below?

3) Do you normally cut the loose ends of rope on the first and last clove hitch flush with the shroud? In most pictures there's no loose rope hanging off.

Hello

1.- If it looks good, it's good. Distance is relative to size of the ship and scale. Remember those were used as steps to climb to the masts.

2.- Horizontal

3.- Yes- Put a tiny drop of FLAT varnish or very diluted white glue. Wait to dry and cut flush.(Emphasis in FLAT. Gloss will stand out like a sore thumb)

You mentioned before that the glue tends to show. Use diluted glue, about 50/50 or more. The idea is that the glue is absorbed into the knot, not covering it. A minimum amount of strength is actually needed.  Hope this is clear.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

I just started the ratlines of my Santa Maria model and am very unhappy with how they look. I don't know if I'm just being obsessive, but to me there are major problems.

I wasn't expecting this at all so I didn't prepare for it, but the ratlines seem to actually push the shrouds out to the sides so they don't make a straight line. I didn't consider that the strength of the string would be enough to change the alignment of the shrouds.

It could look worse, but to me it's very noticeable that the shrouds aren't straight. It's especially noticeable at the top, however I think this will be fixed a bit when I put a few more ratlines on.

I think one of my problems was that my shrouds weren't tight enough. I had issues when rigging them to get them really taught, and I think the looseness allowed them to become misaligned. Also, I notice that some people put up lined paper behind their shrouds to do the ratlines... I didn't think that was necessary as they were straight before the ratlines and didn't expect them to get pushed over.

Anyway... I don't know what I'm asking. I guess there's no way to fix this without redoing them? I would really prefer not to... and especially don't want to redo the shrouds (although I know they also start way too high up).

Other question... if I'm going to redo these, should I make the ratlines thinner?

attachicon.gifratlines.jpg

If the shroud line rant tight then the glue I assume you are using. Will cause the lines to loosen even further due to the moisture. That makes them move away from the dampest side. And the glue will set before it dries so any bulge is fixed. If you've only used thinned PVA for the ratlines. I hope. CA crystallises over time. And fails.IMO. Then acetone on a cotton bud/q tip. Should dissolve the glue either way. And then tighten the shroud lines.

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can

• 2 weeks later...

Ain't it feels great? :)

Congratulations. They came up well. Neat work

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard