Modifications to a Dremel Belt/Disk Sander

While trying to sand the bowsprit blank for my skipjack model, I ran into a problem. The shield on the disk sander part of my Dremel Belt/Disk Sander projected past the edge of the disk, making it impossible to sand an inside corner, as shown at the left in the photo below.

post-10090-0-95625300-1437668550_thumb.jpg

You can see that I was unable to sand up to the end of the piece.

Also the mount for the table was not stable, it moved out of the angle setting under even moderate pressure.

I decided to cut out part of the shield, so that I could get to those corners, and see why the table was moving.

During disassembly I found that not only were the hinge pins split pins, that can compress under pressure, but also that the hinge hole in the shield was really a slot!  The slot allows the table to be slid down and out once the clamp bolts are removed, not a feature I need. I’d rather have a nice tight fit on the hinges.

So I modified the hinges by filling the slot, and drilling the hinge points for the next size 3/16” solid pins. I wish I could have filled the slots with metal, but I did not have any scrap that would not require massive amounts of filling to get small enough. The drilled holes for the pins would cut into the sides of the slots, so I feel that with the hardwood plugs I put in the mount will be strong enough. When assembling the parts, I used medium strength thread locker when iserting the pins.

Any way here are pictures of the modified shield.

post-10090-0-75693900-1437668563_thumb.jpg

post-10090-0-09696400-1437668576_thumb.jpg

post-10090-0-78717000-1437668588_thumb.jpg

Now your table edge will run in an arc with the new pin lock as the radius point and preventing the pins from sliding in the slot. Those slots were what allowed the table to use the thumb nuts as pivot points. Using the thumb nut bolts to pivot and the slots  allowing movement is you keep the table edge close to the wheel when adjusting larger angles. The guard modification should do as intended and looks like a good Idea.

jud

Edited by shiloh

It never worked the way before. The distance between the table and disk is adjusted by sliding the shield back and forth in slotted mounting feet. The center of the circle formed by the angle adjusting bolts and the hinges, is the center of the hinge pins.

It never worked the way before. The distance between the table and disk is adjusted by sliding the shield back and forth in slotted mounting feet. The center of the circle formed by the angle adjusting bolts and the hinges, is the center of the hinge pins.

( and the movement of the table in relation to the stationary hinge pin.) Yes, it looks like the mounting bolts can take over the clearance adjustment. Nothing lost if that is how you have been adjusting clearance all along.

jud

Edited by shiloh

Yes that is the way the sander is designed, in use the pins always stayed at the top of the slot.  The slot was just so you could remove the table.